Kennel Cough

I have been taking my dog to the Vets to get washed & tested for Mange over the last month. When I picked her up today, they said they think she has KC as well. Last night she was gagged (thought fur-ball etc) a couple of times & that was it.

I have heard no coughing since we got home from the vets. Apparently the Vets have seen lots of dogs with it in the last couple of weeks & my sister's 2 dogs have it (my dog hasn't been in contact with them though). If she has got it she may have got it at an off-leash area on the weekend??

They gave me instructions for Benadryl but said they wouldn't give her antibiotics unless she got worse. I guess Obedience School is over for a month or so.

We have Kennel Cough at home.

This is the first time in 18 years my dogs have had it. It’s strange how they all seem to get it in varying degrees. Craig 4 year old tentie mild cough not bothered over in about 3 days. Wallace 16 year old JRT, mild cough over after just a few days - not bothered. Moraig 3 year old flatcoat massive coughing fits, spitting up, and super sooky can’t let Mum out of sight must come over to Mum as soon as coughing starts and stare desperately at Mum willing her to fix it. Ailsa 18 year old mini foxie heavy coughing loss of appetite - might take her to the vet for some AB's as her age is a factor in recovery. I can't figure out where they caught it Moraig is the only one who's been near any other dogs latey and she was last to show symtoms.

I would hope no-one would be taking a dog out for a walk in ANY areas where other dogs frequent when infected with KC in order to prevent the spread to other dogs. That includes the 14 day quarantine period after the last cough.

The last time one of my dogs got KC, he never left the yard - he caught it from dogs being walked past our house. Luckily for me, he was the only one who got it, and it only last a few days.