Why Won't She Sleep?!

PandaGirl

Daisy used to hate her crate, she'd sleep in it but she didn't like it. So I moved some stuff around in my room and the crate now runs length ways along one of my walls in line with my bed and that seems to have helped. She's lying in there now chewing her Kong and not helping me tidy up!

Thats fantastic!

We have tried everything, hot water bottle, clock, toys, having him next to me etc etc. He just gets himself worked up into such a state. We know we are supposed to let him cry but surely night after night of stress is not good for him.

We took her for a run and a swim (or three) at the beach late yesterday afternoon, and she was so tired that apart from 2 wee breaks she slept until 6AM!

Thats great :love:

We are still, after 2 months, tearing our hair out with Oscar. Crate training him at night just has not worked. Admittedly we let him in the bed because we had 6 weeks of next to 0 sleep. He would literally scream all night! He is a dog who needs company, whether it is from us or from Patch, however we do know he is largely trying it on, but he has got to the point where he hates the crate (but will travel in a crate with little to no fuss). Last night we popped him into his bed next to us, blocking him off from the rest of the room (so he didn't wander and annoy Patch) and he was much better. He did wake up a few times but settled quickly in his bed again. We are hoping this is a solution that will work for us.

Sorry to steal your thread, but we made the same mistake of letting Henschke sleep with us. The result? He was over dependent on us and would howl anytime if left alone. (And one of the reasons that attracted me to the breed was their 'independent' nature!) We got around it by making the crate a fun place to be and also it's placed next to the bed. So if he whinges, I put my hand down and he sniffs and then settles for the night. We have also created a puppy pen - that was much harder than the crate! It's taken almost 2 weeks of 'training'. Again, this was made to be the best place in the whole world! By feeding, playing, cuddling, etc he's now at the stage that when he's in there he knows that he won't be let out until WE say it's time, not him. (This has taken a bit longer than what I've said, so if you're interested in knowing what we did, PM me and I'll fill you in.)

Daisy used to hate her crate, she'd sleep in it but she didn't like it. So I moved some stuff around in my room and the crate now runs length ways along one of my walls in line with my bed and that seems to have helped. She's lying in there now chewing her Kong and not helping me tidy up!

Thats fantastic!

We have tried everything, hot water bottle, clock, toys, having him next to me etc etc. He just gets himself worked up into such a state. We know we are supposed to let him cry but surely night after night of stress is not good for him.

have you tried the talk back radio trick? works for my puppy

We took her for a run and a swim (or three) at the beach late yesterday afternoon, and she was so tired that apart from 2 wee breaks she slept until 6AM!

Thats great ;)

We are still, after 2 months, tearing our hair out with Oscar. Crate training him at night just has not worked. Admittedly we let him in the bed because we had 6 weeks of next to 0 sleep. He would literally scream all night! He is a dog who needs company, whether it is from us or from Patch, however we do know he is largely trying it on, but he has got to the point where he hates the crate (but will travel in a crate with little to no fuss). Last night we popped him into his bed next to us, blocking him off from the rest of the room (so he didn't wander and annoy Patch) and he was much better. He did wake up a few times but settled quickly in his bed again. We are hoping this is a solution that will work for us.

Sorry to steal your thread, but we made the same mistake of letting Henschke sleep with us. The result? He was over dependent on us and would howl anytime if left alone. (And one of the reasons that attracted me to the breed was their 'independent' nature!) We got around it by making the crate a fun place to be and also it's placed next to the bed. So if he whinges, I put my hand down and he sniffs and then settles for the night. We have also created a puppy pen - that was much harder than the crate! It's taken almost 2 weeks of 'training'. Again, this was made to be the best place in the whole world! By feeding, playing, cuddling, etc he's now at the stage that when he's in there he knows that he won't be let out until WE say it's time, not him. (This has taken a bit longer than what I've said, so if you're interested in knowing what we did, PM me and I'll fill you in.)

Oscar has a puppy pen where he goes when we go out - he goes in happily and settles easily. He is a clingy dog - whether it is for us or Patch, but can be left alone at the same time - he's a strange one!

Would love some tips, and we need to get back to making the crate a wonderful place to be, but at the moment we are enjoying our sleep ;)

Edited by CBL

Our routine was to wear Dante out an hour before bed and after he could hold his bladder through the night he would sleep right through. We used to head to bed around 9:30-10:00pm and get up around 5:30am.