Erny

As per topic description, update on Maddy.

I applied the principals that we talked about and she is CURED.

No more blisters on my fingers. No more frustration. No more dreaded walks.

Maddy is fantastic. Yes the dog was not the problem - I was. I admitted that when we were at the park. :laugh: I have changed leads I am now using a nylon training lead instead of the thin leather show lead. Much better grip - not that I need it anymore - one thumb is all I need now. :eek:

We have our little chant when she looks like she is not listening. "What about me" so a quick correction and change of direction, she is almost saying sorry when she comes straight back in line. :)

On a plus side - remember I said that I was not going to take her back to training at the Rottie club while she was like this. We went the following week and she was FANTASTIC. All loose lead work, she had the most beautiful eye contact and it was hard to believe that this was the same dog that I was terrified would pull me from one end of the building to the other and a big chance of me ending up on my backside. I was so proud of her..

So I thought I would give you an update on Maddy and say a huge THANK YOU for your wonderful advise.. :rofl:

I was listening but I didn't think that so much could be achieved so quickly and easily.

The big test will be when she is walking with the others. The real goal is to walk her along side her Mother. I think I will still need my runners though - just in case.. :cheer: and as many fingers that can fit on the lead. :laugh:

So Erny - Thank you for your help. Maddy thanks you too. :laugh:

ETA: I just wish it was that easy to keep her off the couch and beds. :eek:

and I made a boo boo. :eek:

Edited by Lisa M

Hey Lisa :rofl: ... I am really pleased to hear of the success of your work with Maddy and that now you can set out with pleasure and I expect for many more, walks with her :laugh:.

Before you walk both dogs together, make sure your other dog also understands the loose lead walking exercise well. If you can arrange it, it would be helpful if you have a second handler with you for those first times of walking the two dogs out together.

But well done, and I'm glad you've found that improvement of your own handling skills is paying off big time ..... for not only yourself but also of course for Maddy (who is a lovely dog, btw!!). :)

Edited by Erny

Thanks everyone, I am just glad that I have been able to do this. For a while there I did think about sending her to boot camp for dogs and take the easy way out. But it is so much more satisfying to be able to have done this myself, with help from Erny and the RVC of course. :rolleyes:

Maddy-Piper-Lizzy001.jpg - Maddy after a hard day, trying to fit on a tiny bed.

Maddy-Piper-Lizzy003.jpg - Lizzy - Piper - Maddy. All ready for treats..

OK - I know those photos don't exactly show how strong she is but Erny can vouch for that. But they do show the lovely gentle side of her... :love:

Maddy is only 10 months old and at 38 kg already. :eek:

Thanks everyone, I am just glad that I have been able to do this. For a while there I did think about sending her to boot camp for dogs and take the easy way out. But it is so much more satisfying to be able to have done this myself, with help from Erny and the RVC of course. :laugh:

Maddy-Piper-Lizzy001.jpg - Maddy after a hard day, trying to fit on a tiny bed.

Maddy-Piper-Lizzy003.jpg - Lizzy - Piper - Maddy. All ready for treats..

OK - I know those photos don't exactly show how strong she is but Erny can vouch for that. But they do show the lovely gentle side of her... :D

Maddy is only 10 months old and at 38 kg already. :laugh:

Good for you guys Lisa! Well done.

Just Gorgeous! Hey her sister is now 38 kg to :p however currently on a eating strike!!!! Naughty Abby pictured.

post-5879-1217852346_thumb.jpg

Edited by Delkerabo