Ringworm

Thank you for your help in advance.

Well I don't know which animals has ringworm or whether my OH have contracted it from somewhere else, but we both have it. Should I just begin treating us with medication from the chemist and washing everything - including Bella and Benson or should I take both to the vet for a check up and see if they can go on antibiotic straight away??? :rolleyes:

God i feel like such a knob cause I thought cause I worm them every mth that they could contract ringworm and then I did a search here and found out it was a fungus. :laugh: But I guess my main confusion is which one has it, or do they both cause i have not seen any lesions on them - just us :laugh:

I would take them both to be checked- just in case.

Ringworm is indeed a fungus- which can be treated with antifungal cream/lotion ,and/ or tablets.

Do not bath the dogs prior to a vet visit-

Hopefully they will be clear :laugh:

Do you think we could have caught it from somewhere else and they might not have it??? :rolleyes: Sorry I just don't know much about this at all :laugh:

I would take them both to be checked- just in case.

Ringworm is indeed a fungus- which can be treated with antifungal cream/lotion ,and/ or tablets.

Do not bath the dogs prior to a vet visit-

Hopefully they will be clear :laugh:

Do you think we could have caught it from somewhere else and they might not have it??? :rolleyes: Sorry I just don't know much about this at all :laugh:

Given that they are both coated animals, you may have missed spotting the signs. Unless you and OH have been with an infected kiddie, my money is on your pets transferring it to you.

If you have visited any friends who have cats or dogs that have sat on your lap it is quiet possible you got it from outside your own home.

Can I ask where the ringworn on both of you is (if it's not too private an area LOL). it might give a clue as to where either of you picked it up. It's also possible one of you picked it up somewhere else and passed it on to the other.

hmmm it sounds to me like you have cuddled an infected being, if not animal maybe a child like Poodlefan suggested. Then your OH has put his arm around you and the contact has spread to his arm. Or if he had it first he has spread it to you after a cuddle.

No matter now how you caught it you are going to have to watch your babies incase you pass it to them IF they didn't pass it to you in the first place. If you can sit them down and go over them 1005 I'm sure you will see if they have it or not as it would be obvious by now if they had it beofre you.

Good luck with it.

Oh as for the vet trip, I think a quick phone call to your vet is the best option to see if a course of antifungal Antibiotics is adviced for the babies.

Ok so I will comb back both their hair this arvo to check if either have lesions - I have had mine for just over a wk cause I wasn't sure what it was and was going to see a doc but OH mother (nurse) said ringworm straight away when she saw the massive one on OH underarm that is over 3 cms wide - mine are less than one centimetre but I have lots of little ones. Should we also see a doctor or just get something over the counter???

Also can you avoid getting ringworm?

Ok so I will comb back both their hair this arvo to check if either have lesions - I have had mine for just over a wk cause I wasn't sure what it was and was going to see a doc but OH mother (nurse) said ringworm straight away when she saw the massive one on OH underarm that is over 3 cms wide - mine are less than one centimetre but I have lots of little ones. Should we also see a doctor or just get something over the counter???

Start by checking their tummies for any obvious ones. :rolleyes:

Start by checking their tummies for any obvious ones. :laugh:

Cool, thank you! Man this totally sucks - I hate house work at the best of times and now I have to do it during the week :rolleyes:

Wash everything is hot water and bleach if possible. Things that can't be washed put in the dryer. Vaccume.

Ringworm is usually treated by washing dogs in medicated shampoos such as Malaseb and using an antifungal cream.

Humans can get antifungal creams over the counter from their chemist.

If you have a very wide spread infection it might be advisable to get a tablet treatment from the Doc (I think it's still perscription only in tablet form?). You can get creams from the chemist so pop into one first and see if they think a cream is enough (as I can't see how wide spread the area is) or if they too think a pill treatment is necissasary.

Ringworm is usually treated by washing dogs in medicated shampoos such as Malaseb and using an antifungal cream.

Pyohex. Dermcare recommend Pyohex for ringworm.

FTPO - thousands of people think ringworm is a worm, so you're not a knob :p Easy enough mistake to make. The knob is the person who decided to call the lesion a ringworm in the first place!

I believe Malaseb is the shampoo for ringworm. It has Miconazole in it which is anti fungal. If your pets have it, they may need antifungal antibiotics.

From the Dermcare website:

Treatment

Ringworm is treated with Griseofulvin, an antifungal antibiotic, which sterilises new hair growth and may take up to 12 weeks for complete cure.

As an adjunct to systemic therapy, topical treatment with MALASEB effectively kills the spores on the hairs, thus decontaminating the coat, which reduces environmental contamination and reduces the time to clinical cure. The risk of re-infection and transmission to other animals and humans is also reduced. ‡

Edited by stormie

FTPO - thousands of people think ringworm is a worm, so you're not a knob :eek: Easy enough mistake to make. The knob is the person who decided to call the lesion a ringworm in the first place!

Agreed :cry:

Ok well we got cream for us humans and will be washing the kids tonight and then again on the weekend after I can full disinfect the house from top tp toe.

Bella does not appear to have any lesions on her, Benson would not co-operate - so it will by force tonight that we check him over.

But here's the corker - I was going to make a doc appoint for this week about my little lesions (that appeared last week), but OH's is a massive one and we got to talking about it last night and he tells me he has had his for 2-3 mths. I said why didn't you tell me or get it checked out? Answer = I don't know... :rolleyes: :laugh::laugh:

So it maybe that the fur kids don't even have it cause I am the one that grooms them and I have not noticed anything of the sort on them, but to be on the safe side I am going to bath them in Malseab anyway.

FTPO:

But here's the corker - I was going to make a doc appoint for this week about my little lesions (that appeared last week), but OH's is a massive one and we got to talking about it last night and he tells me he has had his for 2-3 mths. I said why didn't you tell me or get it checked out? Answer = I don't know...

Sounds like you've found your culprit. :laugh: Is he still breathing? :rolleyes: