Vaccination + Antibiotics

ClareL

Hi and thanks for any help anyone can offer.

I just got a staffy and as he was from a pound he came down with ringworm a couple of days after we got him. We didn't relise what it was so it was another couple of days till we took him to the vet (thought he had just been checked and was on his leg so we thought it was just a knock).

Anyway our vet has insisted on seeing him every week despite telling us he would need 3 weeks of antibiotics. We were a day late going back one of the times as we just couldn't get there(would only give us a week at a time of the tablets) so it flared up and he now needs another week on the tablets.

Anyway i have enough tablets now to wait out another week before he goes back but he is due for a shot tomorrow, i rang the vet and asked if he could still have it or if we should wait till he is off his tablets, they said it is important they see him again and they will check his immune system to see if he can have to shot.

So basically my question is I think they are ripping us off and I dont think they have any intention of giving him the needle as he is on antibiotics so can he have the needle if he is on antibiotics?

Thanks for any help

How old is your dog? Do you know when was his last vaccination?

I wouldn't vaccinate a dog with a compromised immune system (like a dog on antibiotics).

You definitely can wait until he recovers to vaccinate.

Hi- I think the vet is on the right track with waiting for the vacc's- BUt if your dog has ringworm, why is he on antibiotics?

Ringworm is actually a fungus, and antibiotics do not kill it. Does it have a secondary infection ?

Hopefully your vet has given you instructions on how to treat the house/kennel/bedding etc to minimise the spread of the ringworm....

have a read here ringworm thread

and HERE

for some more info.

Good luck with your boy :rofl:

Thanks

The vet just told us he needed antibiotics and that was it. We did however call the shelter to let them know he had it so they could keep an eye on the other dogs and they said to put antifungal cream on it and shampoo him which we have done also. I've been a little sus on the vet as they are always trying to sell us stuff and need to look at him every week, the next appointment is for the shot but i dont think they have any intention of giving it to him. But I think we may change vets because I dont think they are doing the right things more concerned about booking the next appointment and they know we dont know what we are doing yet

He is about 17-18 weeks and he had C3 and kennel cough 4 weeks ago and is due to have the same again i think and then once a year after that but I just gave the vet the papers the shealter gave me so it might be a differant shot this time (C5 or something) not sure but both said he needed it.

Thanks so much for the help

Oh- maybe a different vet would be wise then :rofl: get him to explain everything to you :mad

Unfortunately, if you have been applying cream, the test for ringworm (a 'blacklight") may not work properly, but they can do a skin scraping if you want :)

Looking forward to photos of the puppy!

When my dog was on antibiotics, the vet wouldn't give him his vaccination.

Seriously, if you have doubts ( and I think you have reason to) I would be going to another vet. None of what you typed ^^ up there sits well if you are paying every time you go to the vet especially if they said he needs ABS for 3 weeks but will only dispense 1 week at a time with another paid consult?????

Also, when my dog/cat/horse had ringworm, I used an antifungal cream. Unless there is some sort of infection, AB's will do nothing?

Best of luck :rofl:

Hi,

I was wondering the same thing. WHY is he on antibiotics? Ringworm is a fungal infection not a bacterial infection.

I would not go back to that vet. I think you being ripped off

Petra and Felix

P.S

Wash everything in hot water and wear gloves when you apply any ointments on your dog People can get ringworm too

Griseofulvin (also known as Grisovin) is an antifungal drug. It is used both in animals and in humans, to treat ringworm infections of the skin and nails. It is derived from the mold Penicillium griseofulvum.

Hi all,

I took Chuck to the lost dogs home in north melbourne. They gave him his shot despite antibiotics after checking his temp and everything as he is 18 weeks they thought he was better off to have it. They also said there is no need for him to go back unless his ringworm gets worse or there is a change in his behaviour. They were really good and suggested most of the other things like washing his bedding to get rid of the ringworm instead of just the antibiotics. I will keep him on them until I run out and then just continue with anti fungal, shampoo and washing everything like the 2nd vet and everyone here suggested.

Thanks a lot to everyone you were all far more useful than the vet we were seeing.