Itchy Season?

Aly

Wondering if any one else is having problems at the moment with itchy skin on their doggys?

Had Aly back at the vets today with itchies, she was really good for a while as she was only on Barf roo mix finally got her off her cortisone tablets but now shes started scratching again (drives me nuts).

My vet said she has seen quite a few dogs in lately with the same problem she says its to do with the pollens in the air, new grasses etc. I was thinking I had triggered something off by starting to give Aly chicken frames and necks for a change.So she is now back on Antihitimes and Macrolene for 2 weeks then start to wean her back.

She did say she that staffys seem more prone to these aliments.... could be that they dont have much fur?????

Belinda

Diesel (SBTxBT) used to have absolutely shocking skin, and both new grass & chicken can set him off, especially new grass. Unfortunately the itchier his tummy gets, the more he does drag races down the yard on his tummy to try to scratch it!

Our vet told us the same thing, that a few of the bully breeds can be prone to sensitive skin, but I don't remember why exactly. I don't think it's because of their short fur (although that would make it easier for things like pollen to make contact with the skin and cause a problem), I think it's just one of those strange little genetic things. Ironic though, when you consider the breed's history & ability to withstand amazing levels of pain, that some fresh grass can turn them into whining sooky little lumps of sadness! :dropjaw:

One thing that really helped Diesel's skin (and coat) was feeding him sardines. have you tried this with Aly?

Diesel (SBTxBT) used to have absolutely shocking skin, and both new grass & chicken can set him off, especially new grass. Unfortunately the itchier his tummy gets, the more he does drag races down the yard on his tummy to try to scratch it!

Our vet told us the same thing, that a few of the bully breeds can be prone to sensitive skin, but I don't remember why exactly. I don't think it's because of their short fur (although that would make it easier for things like pollen to make contact with the skin and cause a problem), I think it's just one of those strange little genetic things. Ironic though, when you consider the breed's history & ability to withstand amazing levels of pain, that some fresh grass can turn them into whining sooky little lumps of sadness! :dropjaw:

One thing that really helped Diesel's skin (and coat) was feeding him sardines. have you tried this with Aly?

Yes I have actualy I must start her back on them again, She loves them. Maybe I should give the chicken the flick for a while???And she also drags herself over the lawn :p

Yes I have actualy I must start her back on them again, She loves them. Maybe I should give the chicken the flick for a while???And she also drags herself over the lawn :p

Does Aly have food allergies, or contact allergies, or both? If it's just a contact allergy thing I wouldn't worry about stopping the chicken necks, although I suppose if you stop feeding them you'd know for sure if they were a main culprit.

If Diesel wasn't so DA, I'd suggest setting up a little drag strip & betting on the outcome between the two :)

efs.

Edited by ell&diesel

Does Aly have food allergies, or contact allergies, or both? If it's just a contact allergy thing I wouldn't worry about stopping the chicken necks, although I suppose if you stop feeding them you'd know for sure if they were a main culprit.

If Diesel wasn't so DA, I'd suggest setting up a little drag strip & betting on the outcome between the two :)

efs.

Well Tanya(vet) seems to think its contact with her.

LOL @ the drag strip. Aly looks like she has lost the use of her back legs when she does that.

Belinda

Wondering if any one else is having problems at the moment with itchy skin on their doggys?

Had Aly back at the vets today with itchies, she was really good for a while as she was only on Barf roo mix finally got her off her cortisone tablets but now shes started scratching again (drives me nuts).

My vet said she has seen quite a few dogs in lately with the same problem she says its to do with the pollens in the air, new grasses etc. I was thinking I had triggered something off by starting to give Aly chicken frames and necks for a change.So she is now back on Antihitimes and Macrolene for 2 weeks then start to wean her back.

She did say she that staffys seem more prone to these aliments.... could be that they dont have much fur?????

Belinda

It would appear that maybe your dogs allergic reaction occurence is due to the increase in chicken as it is a high allergen meat and that can easily inflame an itchy dog.the fact that you noticed a difference on the roo barf tells you that she should probably not have chicken.Of course your dog may have an immune system problem and the skin reflects problems in the immune system.Have you thought of trying an immune support therapy like K9 immunity it helps dogs with cancer which occurs due to a breakdown in the immune system so maybe it would help I am trying it on my dog at the moment she has immune system problems from when she was a pup with scarcoptic mange and I have seen a difference in her .You can get it from www.dogcancer.com.au

I would definitely stop the chicken though.

Belinda

It would appear that maybe your dogs allergic reaction occurence is due to the increase in chicken as it is a high allergen meat and that can easily inflame an itchy dog.the fact that you noticed a difference on the roo barf tells you that she should probably not have chicken.Of course your dog may have an immune system problem and the skin reflects problems in the immune system.Have you thought of trying an immune support therapy like K9 immunity it helps dogs with cancer which occurs due to a breakdown in the immune system so maybe it would help I am trying it on my dog at the moment she has immune system problems from when she was a pup with scarcoptic mange and I have seen a difference in her .You can get it from www.dogcancer.com.au

I would definitely stop the chicken though.

I like your post bozdog and agree with you except for the chicken bit.

I think that is perhaps specific to particular dogs.

Chicken is generally known as a low allergen food. Chicken, rice, avacadoes, bananas.........just check out the main ingredients on baby food jars! :hitself:

I had a goldie with allergy issues - stopped the beef and upped the chicken - allergy disappeared. But as I say....different dogs etc

And I have read that staffys do seem to have sensitive skin and are prone to allergies.

Boosting the immune system is the best start for the dog. :hitself:

Edited by ~ArtyFarty~

Dogs can be allergic to anything they have eaten previously. Chicken might be common because it's a commonly used ingredient.

I wouldn't say that we are in the height of the pollen season, though. What about artificial heating? Air cons and heaters can really dry out the skin.

My Amstaff girl's skin irritations are starting again. :laugh:

She had an issue last summer - looked for all the world like demodectic mange - sort of motheaten, but the vet didn't find any mites when he scraped her to check. She was fine all winter - lovely glossy coat, no itches at all. I never really worked out if it had stopped because the weather got colder & allergenic plants hibernated, or because I stopped her eating beef or even something else.

She eats raw, mostly lamb hearts and chicken necks & wings and lamb liver or kidney.

Still don't know now, because it's warmer and the plants are out but I also bought a new kind rawhide which might have yeasts or other allergens in it. I still haven't figured if it's contact, airborne or food allergy or even if it's something other than an allergy I'd like to figure it out and get a handle on it fast so it doesn't bother her this summer. I'll get a pic, see if the same issue you guys have?

I've only been giving sardines once every few weeks lately I should up that to once a week, also I have some fishoil capsules, but forgot to give her some the last few months, will have to start it up again.

I got some good remedies from Ruthless for dealing with allergies in her staffies - I'm sure she wouldn't mind me posting it:

Bathe weekly in Malaseb or Pyohex if they're bad, in oatmeal shampoo otherwise.

10mg of Phenergen daily (human allergy tablets)

Fish oil caps regularly

If they're scratching alot - tea tree lotion on the affected area.

Spectrum and Permoxin for fleas if flea allergy.

Edited by Wobbly

My Amstaff girl's skin irritations are starting again. :laugh:

She had an issue last summer - looked for all the world like demodectic mange - sort of motheaten, but the vet didn't find any mites when he scraped her to check. She was fine all winter - lovely glossy coat, no itches at all. I never really worked out if it had stopped because the weather got colder & allergenic plants hibernated, or because I stopped her eating beef or even something else.

She eats raw, mostly lamb hearts and chicken necks & wings and lamb liver or kidney.

Still don't know now, because it's warmer and the plants are out but I also bought a new kind rawhide which might have yeasts or other allergens in it. I still haven't figured if it's contact, airborne or food allergy or even if it's something other than an allergy I'd like to figure it out and get a handle on it fast so it doesn't bother her this summer. I'll get a pic, see if the same issue you guys have?

I've only been giving sardines once every few weeks lately I should up that to once a week, also I have some fishoil capsules, but forgot to give her some the last few months, will have to start it up again.

I got some good remedies from Ruthless for dealing with allergies in her staffies - I'm sure she wouldn't mind me posting it:

Bathe weekly in Malaseb or Pyohex if they're bad, in oatmeal shampoo otherwise.

10mg of Phenergen daily (human allergy tablets)

Fish oil caps regularly

If they're scratching alot - tea tree lotion on the affected area.

Spectrum and Permoxin for fleas if flea allergy.

Its 3 days since Aly has been to the vets, she has been on half a macrolene tablet morning and night and 2 phernergan tablets. Her itches have improved heaps. Wobbly you say 10mg phernergan Aly is on 25mg twice a day, Im totaly amazed they dont knock her out but vet said they dont afect dogs the way they do us humans. You say your amstaff looks like she is moth eaten that is exactly how Aly looks on her hind legs where she goes round and round in circles rubbing them on the ground... but today I havent seen her doing it so heres to some improvements Its not nice seeing them so itchy :confused: ....Love you pics wobbly very cute doggies

Oh and Ive been bathing her in Groomers shampoo as I didnt have any Malaseb.

Belinda

Hi Aly, I haven't tried the phenergan, but Ruthless finds it helps her staffies. If the itching gets any worse for Jarrah though I'll use it for symptomatic relief. Glad to hear you're getting some relief for Aly - she's a real cutie :confused:

I went to the vets over summer to check for demo mange, they didn't find mites, and suggested plant allergies. I'm not sure what to do really. I just did a search for thread on different types of allergies in this forum - one or two of your old threads came up :laugh: Got some excellent ideas on shampoos to try, and I'm going to try a proper elimination diet.

Heres the results - I've organised them as topic title, link, some relevant info covered in thread:

Dog Allergies - Gsd Help!, German Shepherd Allergies

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=142366

^This one mentions a chamomile rinse for the irritations to soothe them :laugh:

Also stuff about atopic dermatitis, and BARF or raw food vs dry, vit E & zinc caps also mentioned as helpful.

Weimaraner With Bad Skin

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=143214

^ This is a great thread definitely worth checking :laugh: discusses Atopic Dermatitis, megaderm (omega 3 & 6), Royal Canin dry food, Holistic Eagle Pack dry food, phenergen, Cortavance, EpiSooth, Resi-Soothe, Neotopic cream, Duralactin, Manuka Oil and Honey Antiseptic Gel, grain allergies, evening primrose, ACV, Livamol, Neem Oil shampoo, thyroid problems, Mega oil, borage oil.

Help With Skin Condition In Rescued Bully Pup

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...mp;hl=allergies

^ Post #14 by Clyde has some crucial info on use of malaseb & Pyohex, the pup in question had a lot of other health issues so the rest of the thread isn't so relevant to itches.

Steroids For Allergies?

^ Pros & cons of steroids, cortavance spray, immune system reactions

Grass Allergy?, anything i can do apart from rip up my lawn?

^ Information about allergy tests, types of plants & grasses that cause allergies. Also food colourings mentioned as allergens

Westie Skin Diseases, Skin Problems in general? Symptoms/Cures?

^ Post #13 by Gingers Mum - malasezzia is interesting - possibility of yeast & fungal infection rather than allergy, also Westiemum's posts have good management tips for allergy itchiness.

Skin Condition On Neck, Anyone seen this?

^ Effort to diagnose & treat serious itchyness that seems resistant to all the usual remedies, lots of good info here. SPOT blood test, Blood allergy test, Atopica, EPO shampoo, Dalmatian bronzing, Demodectic mange. Post #59 has a lot of plants that cause allergies listed. Curash powder.

Suitable Shampoo And Diet, for dogs with allergies

^ Vitamin C, holistic vets, proplan, aloveen leave in conditioner, washing feet after playing on grass & pollen plants, Innova Evo.

Dog Chewing His Legs

^ Neocort, beef allergies, stress/anxiety, acral lick dermatitis.

Food Allergies

^ Elimination diets (to determine cause of food allergy) 6 - 8 weeks per food.

Aly Is Losing Her Fur

Biotin, switching to raw/BARF & roo meat

Skin Issues, Please help, willing to try anything

Clean cotton sheets for bedding, eliminate wheat & pasta from diet, vitamin c & E, zinc & kelp, wool allergies, vaccine allergies, repeated exposure to foods causing allergies - try novel foods. 12 week food trials recommended, Revolution to rule out scabies, Polyvite by Rudducks, Paw Paw ointment, Ego 1% cortisone ointment.

British Bulldog Red, Blotchy And Itechy

^ Post #7 by Stormie outlines a good diagnosis & treatment plan for itching.

Which Antihistamines Have Worked For Your Dog?, Atopic allergy related

^ Different anti-histamines & dosages

Whew, OK that search goes back to Jan this year, now my head is about to explode from all the info

so I'll take a break for tonight. Will finish the search over the next few days & post it up if anyone else finds this one useful.

Edited by Wobbly

Some pics:

This only came up about 5 days ago (I think when the weather here warmed up?), at first it was much less so I wasn't too worried, now it's gotten really bad. :laugh:

It looks like demodectic mange maybe?? I'll take her to the vet on Monday for another skin scrape, think I'll use a new vet this time, the last time it cost over $200 odd just to scrape the skin & look at it under a microscope. :confused:

She is only a little itchy, rubs her face on me once or twice a day, but doesn't go at it with her paws, but it worries me it could be symptomatic of something bad even if it doesn't seem to bother her too much atm.

From the front, her fur looks fine:

P8160001.jpg

But from another angle, you can really see there is something wrong - this is her worst bit - lots of "motheaten" bald patches :laugh:

P8160002.jpg

My 8mth old Dalmatian has a bad allergy at present but i am not sure what is causing it. He is scratching at his chest, elbows and down his legs. Also on his back legs is sort of scabby/hair missing. I have washed him in Pyohex but he is scratching just as much. As i thought it could be flea allergies i have done both my dogs with frontline.

My 10yo Dalmatian had a bad allergy and it got infected and i took him to the vet. They did a scrapping and could see no mites/mange. He was put on a Rilexine and Prednisalone. This dogs allergy was worst around his eyes and he was extemely itchy and would drag his face along the ground(not doing that much now).

Anyone got any suggestions what i should do re the young dog? i hate seeing him scratching so much. He has scratched so hard he has rubbed hair off in some areas. :confused::laugh:

Some pics:

This only came up about 5 days ago (I think when the weather here warmed up?), at first it was much less so I wasn't too worried, now it's gotten really bad. :laugh:

It looks like demodectic mange maybe?? I'll take her to the vet on Monday for another skin scrape, think I'll use a new vet this time, the last time it cost over $200 odd just to scrape the skin & look at it under a microscope. :confused:

She is only a little itchy, rubs her face on me once or twice a day, but doesn't go at it with her paws, but it worries me it could be symptomatic of something bad even if it doesn't seem to bother her too much atm.

From the front, her fur looks fine:

P8160001.jpg

But from another angle, you can really see there is something wrong - this is her worst bit - lots of "motheaten" bald patches :laugh:

P8160002.jpg

Wobbly great post before thanks,

Hmm from the photos I see what you mean by moth eaten Aly gets like that too, she has very thin spots on her hind legs almost bald. Will see if I can get a piccy of it to post.

Today she has hardly had a scratch..... what a relief, I will keep her on the macrolene till around Wednesday then slowly wean her down and see how she goes. And tomorrow another bath in groomers shampoo, she has realised I think that bathing soothes her she even puts her paws up to get into the bath now :laugh:

Belinda

I might try a dermatologist instead of going to the vet tommorrow ;)

The vet was nice last time I took her there, but really not that helpful in a practical sense, he didn't know what it was, thought maybe a plant allergy - but didn't offer allergy tests or anything.

I did a google search and found 2 pet dermatologists in Sydney - both at the vet teaching hospital at Sydney University, so I'll give them a ring tommorrow and try to arrange an appointment or get a refferal from them. I really want a correct diagnosis and path for treatment ASAP.

I might try a dermatologist instead of going to the vet tommorrow ;)

The vet was nice last time I took her there, but really not that helpful in a practical sense, he didn't know what it was, thought maybe a plant allergy - but didn't offer allergy tests or anything.

I did a google search and found 2 pet dermatologists in Sydney - both at the vet teaching hospital at Sydney University, so I'll give them a ring tommorrow and try to arrange an appointment or get a refferal from them. I really want a correct diagnosis and path for treatment ASAP.

Sadly being in country WA we dont have vet teaching unis here,,, just passionate vets when you find one,,, and the lady vet I have at the moment is.She listens and doesnt judge, and doesnt push. she recommended Aly one week on macrolene( my last vet was oh we will just put Aly on these tablets no telling me what the side affects were just that oh she may get bit more hungry or thirsty....................NOT that they are bad for their heart and can reduce their life span!!! WTF Aly is one of my children.

I havent changed Alys diet as Vet advised just for now,,, and now that she has been on medication and and same food, Im thinking its the grasses out the back..... Hmmmm rip up lawn and dog has concrete?? ;)

Belinda