Dog Allergies - Gsd Help!

I currently have a GSD about 9 months old that has had the worse luck with allergies :rofl: . Alot of his hair on his hind legs has been chewed and we are in the process of trying to get it to re-grow. We changed onto a strict diet and have searched the environment for any known plants. It seems that every other month we are at the vets with a flair up of ears or the like. I am just hoping to hear from other GSD owners that have had dogs that seem susceptible to everything they come across. We are going for allergy testing next month and are under a wonderful dermatologist. I have another GSD (almost 4 years old) that has no problems. I am :rofl: very frustrated as I don't know what else I can do :rofl:

Any ways to encourage hair growth are welcomed as we cannot go into any shows looking the way we do at the moment.

Am hoping that I am not alone in the fun world of GSD allergies.

:eek: Bruodin.

You can add us to the GSD allergy list :rofl: There is a patch on Diesel's flank he is always chewing, we are just getting the hair to grow back. His tummy, groin and inner legs are also effected. He is on cortisone and just finished a course of antibiotics. Let me know if you have any luck with the allergy testing, I haven't tried that yet. We did the controlled diet and ruled out food allergies.

Edited by Kavik

I am sorry to hear that you are going through the same problems as me as it is just sooooo :rofl: frustrating. Our tummy was a big problem too until we finally got it covered in hair we still have break outs though where he has a weeping patch of skin but they seem to go away easily. Occassionally we get irritated under the armpits too but my GSD has problems on the inside of his legs too and the groin isn't too bad but can get red in blotches and he occassionally chews front pads as well. Thinking of using vetwrap on his back legs during the day to ensure he leaves his poor legs alone to give the hair a fighting chance to grow back.

I have him on Eukanuba Fish & Potato at the moment to ensure no food allergys and about to start antihistamine trial.

Even getting a quote on dog run to eliminate any other allergens LOL I need a money tree :rofl:

Under a great dermatologist at Syd. Uni if you want their details.

:rofl: Bruodin

I know people say BARF is not expensive, but it was when I tried it! And he needed a HUGE amount to keep weight on, I find it easier to keep him a good weight on a combination of dry and chicken frames. We tried the low allergen foods - Z/D for the trial, Eagle Pack fish or Pro Plan fish for every day, didn't make a difference.

yes Kavik unfortunately a lot of GSDs are blessed with poor digestive systems as well. My rotty is severely allergic to most foods and can go nearly bald on Eagle Pack. I find Royal Canin Adult Large breed with some flax seed oil every day and the off phenergen tablet settles him and he stops shedding.

By bald - he has little hair on his abdomen, thin chest, had a bald rump from chewing and the backs of his legs. A couple of meals of eagle pack and he's back to scratching like a maniac.

I'm considering what to get for my next dog - thinking of doing SchH or at least training with them to really get drive training down pat. Love the Sheps for stability etc and everyone says they are the best of the breeds I like for a learner SchH dog (I love the Mals but many say not the best first SchH dog) but I don't want another with allergies! Expensive and stressful. Are the Mals less prone to allergies etc?

Mals mature later then shepherds, and you cant go wrong with them. My girl is a bit sensitive to foods like Eukanuba but she had no worries swollowing half a chilli roast chicken once. Tough as nails, barely HD, skin, digestive problems. If I get a shep I will import from Europe.

Sheps stability is questionable for me, well for civil drive anyway. Mals are lovely but dont get one that is too highly driven that can be a downfall if the nerve is weak. And you need to also be able to teach some supression or you end up with an out of control feral, Mals on 100% drive training is just asking for trouble.

Mals can be forgiving as long as you are not impatient or heavy handed. von russellhof (www.malinois.net.au) I would get a dog from, even some of her show lines are capable fo schutzhund and you wouldnt be thrown into a full working temperament

Hi

Dont know if this helps but we have a yellow lab boy who is 5 yrs next month. He was diagnosed with Atopic dermatitis at 6 - 8 motnhs and has been taking the magic blue tablets ever since. I am not happy with him using so many steroids and so contacted robert McDowell who does naturopathic treatments for animals. Our boy has been on his treatment for aabout 12 days and he seems to be improving. His coat has a better feel, it appears to be less course and feels like it has some oil in it. He looks fitter and has lost weight. I feel he is scratching less - I would say about 25% less.

Certainly worth a try.

They can also be allergic to wheat...and beef is another one that can be an issue. Good dry to try is the Royal Canin GSD kibble (both a junior range and an adult range), ProPlan Sensative (based on salmon) may also be worth a try. Barf is well worth a try but if you think part of your dogs issue might be beef/chook/lamb etc remember to take it out of your mix...eg stick with white meats and see how you go if things clear up then add beef...check for change if not change add something else etc :confused:

Must admit...sounds like it could be a wheat allergy or at least a food allergy to me...have seen a few dogs with much the same symptoms - getting them on the 'right food for them' solved the problem for them. But...can be different for different dogs of course!

Good luck!

If I was going to go a Mal, von russelhof is where I was looking. :confused: Had a chat to Amanda and she sounded lovely and helpful.

I am hoping that having Kelpies would help me with the Mals, they can be full on and not always that forgiving.

If it is a contact allergy and it is say the grass outside then youa re going ot have trouble stopping it.

I agree with being tested for mites, also get him onto an antihistamine and a low allergen food - fish based with no chicken fat. Alot of fish based foods have chicken fat in them, if the dog is allergic to chicken that will set him off.

Omega 3 tabs, biotin tabs and using cammomile tea as a rinse for the sores. IT is calming and cooling

Good luck.

Malis get glued to you ... many a time Mina has looked at me like "mum you're an idiot thats not how we do things"

AND we have completely changed her training from schutzhund to security. She was confused but I persisited and she was fine with it after a week.

nah. I dont think theyre as bad as people think they are, theyre just SpEsHaL :confused:

They look like heaps of fun :confused:

People think Kelpies are nutso too - and maybe they are :laugh: but if you can harness them they are great fun and very competitive in sports. The SchH people looked at me like I was crazy when I said I had Kelpies so thought I might be able to handle a Mal though :eek:

I know people say BARF is not expensive, but it was when I tried it! And he needed a HUGE amount to keep weight on, I find it easier to keep him a good weight on a combination of dry and chicken frames. We tried the low allergen foods - Z/D for the trial, Eagle Pack fish or Pro Plan fish for every day, didn't make a difference.

Um if you make your own BARF it's cheaper then a good quality dry food.

Been there done that with the low allergen Z/D food with my boy pug for two months. Didn't make a difference to him itching, scratching, smelling funny and getting rashes in his groin. Since getting rid of dry food all together and changing to a BARF diet the horrible rashes are gone, the smell is gone, his coat has changed and he is less itchie scratchie.

I made it from scratch - pulped my own veggies, the lot. Was NOT cheaper and I had problems keeping condition on and was VERY time consuming. I don't have that time atm with a baby, prefer to spend the little time I do have training the dogs rather than pulping veggies . . . not every food works for every situation. I am happy feeding dry with chicken frames :confused: I am glad it worked for you though :laugh:

Guest magnum

Sadly there are some lines around that have skin problems :) A product that may help your dog is Atopica from your vet, given that you also have ear issues along with skin & lacking of coat this drug may help restore things for you.

Try groomers product australia they have a evening primrose shampoo and food suppliments which i use on a golden and has helped heaps he has a alergy to flea's it takes just one bite. And he get's a terrible rash all over his body Back and stomach but helps a lot with shampoo and oil.

Am hoping that I am not alone in the fun world of GSD allergies.

:eek: Bruodin.

You are definately not alone:) If you do a search of my posts you will read about my girl's allergies and the success we have had with de- sensitizing injections etc. I recently tried introducing Ziwi Peak to her diet after sending the manufacturer a list of her food allergies and their assurance that the food contained none of them. Disaster, her ears flared up really badly.

As for growing back hair, I found that washing twice a week in Malaseb really helped with my girl.

Good luck with your boy

I made it from scratch - pulped my own veggies, the lot. Was NOT cheaper and I had problems keeping condition on and was VERY time consuming. I don't have that time atm with a baby, prefer to spend the little time I do have training the dogs rather than pulping veggies . . . not every food works for every situation. I am happy feeding dry with chicken frames :eek: I am glad it worked for you though :)

I had the same problems i was feeding 5-6 times the recommended percentage just to stop Bronx from looking like a walking chook frame! And that was by the book barf. I have found the meaty bones and kibble work well in keeping hte boys nice and in condition. Different strokes for different folks....different foods for different dogs...lol