How Big Will He Grow?

Jimmay

Hi guys :hitself:

Ive recently wanted to switch Tyson over to Orijen but i have one dilemma. The amount of food you're ment to feed the dog is measured by what their adult weight will be, and i have no idea what that will be! Tyson is a staffyxmastiff (even that is a guess :hitself:), he's 6 months old and 18.5kg. Does anyone know how much more growth he'll have in him? Even if i could compare to how much other peoples dogs weighed at that age compared to fully grown. Im just trying to get a general idea. Any sort of input will be realy helpful.

Secondly should i be feeding normal or large breed puppy?

~Krystle.

Hi guys :hitself:

Ive recently wanted to switch Tyson over to Orijen but i have one dilemma. The amount of food you're ment to feed the dog is measured by what their adult weight will be, and i have no idea what that will be! Tyson is a staffyxmastiff (even that is a guess :hitself:), he's 6 months old and 18.5kg. Does anyone know how much more growth he'll have in him? Even if i could compare to how much other peoples dogs weighed at that age compared to fully grown. Im just trying to get a general idea. Any sort of input will be realy helpful.

Secondly should i be feeding normal or large breed puppy?

~Krystle.

Usually with mixed breeds it's very hard to tell how big they will be.

I actually don't follow the amount suggested by the manufacturers. I only start off with the suggested amount and then adjust to make sure they are not gaining or loosing weight. So maybe you should give him what the package suggests for a 20 or 25kg dog and see how you go.

I don't see any Mastiff in him at all, if he was Mastiff he wouldn't be weighing so little at the moment. He does look like a lot of AmStaff/Staff X Ridgeys I've seen, very pretty colour! That should drop your weight estimate by about 50+ kilos :hitself:

I agree with Laffi, I'd aim for around 25kgs.

The only reason i'd think would say he has mastiff in him is because of the floppy neck skin he has. (His skin seems to be getting looser and looser as he gets older)

ka018.jpg

On my walks ive had people say they see cattle dog, koolie and pitbull in him! Whatever he is he's a real bitzer thats for sure!

I ended up getting the all breeds orijen puppy food, with that one it at least gave instuctions on how much to feed depending on how much they weighed at the time compared to the large breed that was just based off adult weights.

Edited by Jimmay

I don't see any Mastiff in him at all, if he was Mastiff he wouldn't be weighing so little at the moment. He does look like a lot of AmStaff/Staff X Ridgeys I've seen, very pretty colour! That should drop your weight estimate by about 50+ kilos :)

I agree with Laffi, I'd aim for around 25kgs.

Agree with that, IMO it is a VERY rare "Mastiff x" that actually has any true Mastiff in it :love: Mastiffs are huuuuuuuuuge and can weigh up to 100kg.

Not having a go at you at all Jimmay :p I'd aim for around the 25kg mark as well :laugh: And he is gorgeous by the way! :p

Our boy is supposed to be Mastiff x Rotti. He is now 20 months old and 35kg. We think if he has any mastiff in him its at least 2 generations back.

Here he is about 2 months ago

017.jpg

We think he could be more staffy x ridgeback, but who knows, we love him anywho!!

I cant see any coolie in him :laugh: may in "dog" though be different than a picture

but I see one absolutely gorgeous dog, he really is beautiful!

I dont have any pics on this computer but on his side Tyson has these dark spots, pretty much looks exactly like this except more faded.

DOG.jpg

He also seems to have some sort of sable in him, he used to be almost a solid golden colour when he was younger..

tytan117.jpg

Thanks of the compliments guys! :) And to think a boy as beautiful as him was so close to being put to sleep, he was saved the day he was due to be pts at a pound in Sydney. (by labrADORE actually if any of you are familiar)

It is very hard to guess adult weights with mixed breeds. We have two mixed breed rescue dogs and needed to know the same thing in terms of feeding and types of food.

Our vet said that at four months (16 weeks) they should be roughly half of their adult weight. Our boy, Spud, was just over 22kgs at 16 weeks - he now hovers between 45 & 46 kgs at almost two years. His sister, Beanie was 18 kgs at 4 months and she is now 35.5 kgs. So pretty accurate.

If you know what Tyson weighed at 4 months just double it for approximate adult weight and you shoud be pretty right.

What a cutie!! :confused:

You know, even with Mastiffs I don't go by the packaging(as in how much to feed) on the food. I couldn't tell you even what it says :laugh:. I feed according to each dog and what I'm seeing in front of me..if the dog is getting a bit pudgy I bring the food down or increase if I think they are too lean. With Giant breeds I like keeping them lean as they are growing. A lot of joint and bone ailments are a direct result of people feeding too high fat/calcium puppy food to giant breeds and making problems for thier growth plates.

Typically, while growing a giant breed, lean is a good thing.

Edited by Lynai