Advice On Dry Food For Sensitive Belly.

My friend has an 11 month old Bernese male who has had poop issues for the last 5 months.

He was fine eating Nutrience puppy for the first 6 months then tried Advance Puppy Large Breed and the problems began. He passes heaps of wind and does one or two really sloppy stinky poos a day (sorry for the graphic description). His owner hasnt got a lot of money at the moment so put him onto Bonnie with no change.

She has tried Super Coat as well with no change.

I advised her to try raw which I feed with great success and she was giving him that and the poop firmed up. She would rather feed a dry food as she doesnt have much fridge/freezer space. I think he must have a wheat/grain allergy as she put him back on to dry (Bonnie) and he is the same.

If it was me I would keep him on raw but its not my dog. (He is having his poo checked by the vet this monday but needs to put on approx 10kg, he obviously cant get enough nutrients to gain muscle and weight)

Can anyone advise the best Eagle Pack or other Dry food to put him on to try that? I have some Nutrience Large breed Puppy here that I will give her Monday but I like Eagle pack better.

As I co own this dog I am losing sleep over this I am happy to buy his food if need be I just want him to put on weight and condition.

(He is other wise happy healthy and has no health issues)

Have a look at Orijen - it's completely grain free. It's more expensive that the brands she's currently feeding, but you don't have to feed as much of it.

Eagle Pack make a Large Breed Puppy Holistic which might work too.

I echo Stormie.

It sounds almost identical to the issues I had with Angs - put him on Orijien and have cut back from 9-10 cups to 7 cups of food a day (he does weigh 72kg!) and the farting has stopped and the poos are like proper dog poo now!!

He might be intolerant to the grains and this is the main ingredient in the SC/ Bonnie etc. If he is, it is like giving milk to someone lactose intolerant.

My frenchie has a very sensitive stomach and I've tried a few dry foods. I tried Eagle Pack and she found that too rich and lost weight on it. The best result we have had is with Hills Science Diet for Sensitive Stomachs. She is thriving on this food, has put on weight and hasn't vomited since being on it. Her flatulence has also decreased dramatically. We do supplement with sardines, chicken necks, fruit, steamed vegies and yoghurt, but the dry food is her main diet. I'm not an evangelist for any brand or feeding method but this one worked for me with my sensitive stomached dog whereas my other dog eats a combination of diet food and Eagle Pack. Good Luck.

A few others that may be worth trying ( they are usually a general stock item)...Royal Canin German Shepherd (I know he isn't a GSD...lol but it's worth considering), Proplan Salmon, Hills Sensitive Stomach, Euk GSD. And for the cheaper ranges...Great Barko/Uncle Albers, Supercoat Special Care range.

My nephew had similar problem with his rhodesian ridgeback. He spent a fortune at the vets,to no avail. I suggested Hills science Diet in Turkey & Rice for firmer stools. Fantastic,he stacked on the weight & his stomach problem just settled down.