Body Language?

Hi all, I am puppy sitting for the night, a 4 month old Bull Terrier bitch.

She has been crated, and Kaos has been very interested in her.

Kaos normally goes off at all but 2 dogs (one is Atlas). I have never seen her this close to a dog and not growl or try to fight it.

I let kaos in, just to see (Pup is a VERY confident pup, i wouldnt have tired it if she wasnt!) I took a video, and was wondering if there is anyone out there who wants to tell me what they think her body language is saying? At first she seems to want to play, than a bit later she is leaning up against the cage and looking down on the dog.

I used to think she was fear aggressive with other dogs, but now i dont think so....

IMO- Yes. The leaning occurs in between play bows, furious tail wagging and crazy runs. The rest of the body language still looks happy/ excited when she is leaning on the crate, even when the pup paws at her. The body language may change completely if the other dog was not crated though.

She looks like she wants to play to me too. When she is leaning against the crate she has her back to the pup or her body side on which is non threatening body language. She is also at one point lying with her body as low as the pup. At 4 months the puppy still has some "puppy licence" so would be less threatening than an adult and a dog usually won't attack a puppy.

Only you know if you can trust her.

They just looks like they want to play. I think your dog is showing alot of curiosity in the pup.

Your dog has no need to be fear aggressive. Its just a puppy. Aggression toward small dogs is usually prey driven and that is a seperate problem. The reasons she wants to nail large dogs could be dominance or fear motivated - but I dont think that translates to what you see here. So no just based on this you cannot rule out what you observed before hand re - that Kaos is fear aggressive.

Edited by calsonic350z

Thanks guys - KAos comes to work with me now and then, i might start to do this more often (one in the crate, one out) and see how it goes, maybe one day I can try her... Atlas is so boring, and she needs someone who can keep up with her, one of these pups would be a good match!

I think if i was looking at it, being someone elses dog, i would read it much differently than what i do, i know what she is like and yeah, just dont trust her... (she does play with another dog, but even then it is only on lead, just incase..)

So no just based on this you cannot rule out what you observed before hand re - that Kaos is fear aggressive.

I wouldn't rule out fear aggression in a dog based on their reaction top a pup. Most dogs let a puppy get away with things they would not tolerate in an older dog. Puppies smell differently and their body language on the whole says "I'm a baby" and illicits a different reaction to an adult dog. Her reaction to Beryl could be very different in a couple of months.

Sure looks like play behaviour to me. Oh, and thanks for no warning about the barking.. it set my dogs off watching that video!!

Fear aggression may not extend to all dogs. Clearly this pup is not a threat to her, especially while crated. Things might be different outside the crate though.

Sure looks like play behaviour to me. Oh, and thanks for no warning about the barking.. it set my dogs off watching that video!!

Fear aggression may not extend to all dogs. Clearly this pup is not a threat to her, especially while crated. Things might be different outside the crate though.

Sorry about the barking!

That was Atlas, wanted to play with his girl, not let Kaos have all the fun :laugh:

Something else that i thought of, she has never met another dog in HER house, could she have more confidence because this is her place?

Sorry about the barking!

That was Atlas, wanted to play with his girl, not let Kaos have all the fun :laugh:

Something else that i thought of, she has never met another dog in HER house, could she have more confidence because this is her place?

Possibly, but the puppies behaviour is very non-threatening IMO. She also can't really get in Kao's space in a crate. It's Kaos who's controlling the interaction.

Edited by poodlefan

If you are worried but still want to tray if they will play why dont you muzzle your dog just in case and let the puppy out.

Use a muzzle that lets the mouth be open, than the dog can bark, pant etc.

Edited by Monelite

muzzles build frustration and can pack a punch. You could be missing signs from the muzzled dog as could the puppy and BANG dog attacks pup. I would not bet letting Kaos behave like a hyper monkey around the puppy as playtimes will be rough. I would keep Kaos on a leash and lead her up to the puppy, let her sniff then walk her away. If she cannot behave quietly she does not walk up to puppy.