White Powdery Poo

Pardon the poo topic :rolleyes:

We've all seen old white dried-out poos lying around that crumble as they degrade. Well, just like that, occasionally my samoyed does poos which go white and powdery almost immediately. Its not a common event but occurs from time-to-time.

Is this a sign of anything or a cause for concern?

Pardon the poo topic :rolleyes:

We've all seen old white dried-out poos lying around that crumble as they degrade. Well, just like that, occasionally my samoyed does poos which go white and powdery almost immediately. Its not a common event but occurs from time-to-time.

Is this a sign of anything or a cause for concern?

Do you feed bones occasionally? If so, that's probably the reason :D

Just one more thing. I notice he moves around a bit while doing a poo...one nugget, moves and repositions after inspecting his effort, then another nugget etc.

He doesn't always do this, but I'd say it happens fairly regulalry.

Is this normal? I'm wondering if its symptomatic of a blockage. When he's been eating sticks he gets so blocked he'll yelp when he poos...its an awful sound to hear your dog in pain. :rolleyes:

Ah, now we can discuss the fascinating subject of pooing styles. :D

I have a circler, a walker and a backer up into bushes..

I think it's more a matter of style than function SM.

Sure makes us humans look boring eh? We're pretty much one-dimensional in this regard. :p

I take it from this response I have nothing to worry about. Thanks. :rolleyes:

Not if your dog is simply repositioning. If he's yelping then that is a symptom of blockage.

With my older boy, he'll strain a bit if he misses more than a day's exercise. Exercise, in addition to fibre stimulates the gut and keeps everything moving along. :rolleyes:

he needs a bit more vegetable/raughage in his diet, dog always straining to poo is not the healthiest idea

He gets a big scoop of mixed freshly boiled veges every night...along with Eagle pack and the raw chicken mince.

And he gets two good walks every day.

That's the thing. I'm not sure if he's straining...it may be what Poodlefan is saying and its just the way he is?

Edited by samoyedman

George lobs it out in the one spot (thank you George!) and then runs away quickly when he's finished. Just in case it's going to chase him :)

I have had dogs who like to spread it out, sniff, have another go, spread it out etc. I guess they all have their poo idiosyncrasies. :p

This made me think of Kenny:

"Even dogs are embarassed to poo*. You see them doing it and they're all hunched up like they're trying to mate with* a cricket ball"

*I've replaced his words with some slightly more reader-friendly ones :p

Diesel likes the hunch-up-as-small-as-possible-and-look-away-like-you-have-no-idea-what's-coming-out-of-your-rear-end method. He won't go if we're looking, either :)

Guest Tess32

My dogs are on full raw but they don't constantly strain to poo - it takes them longer and it's always solid and not much during the day, but they don't spend 10 minutes doing it. Too much bone isn't great either.