Summer Is Launching To Nip

periau

I agree with Willow, crate = great safe haven!!

I did try the time out thing, but, my dog ate the door :laugh: ;)

Ignore ignore ignore, always good, but sometimes with very young pups they just go and do something else horrendous. Little angels :o

periau, I use photobucket to post pics. I think there are several pointers on this in the photo photo section. :thumbsup:

Yaye- i think i did it

OOh, she's an angel!!! :wave::wave::o

Yes, with a water spray, as with anything, you have to be FAST and EXACT. It worked perfectly for us, within a day or so the problem was solved. Our spinone is an angel, good thing too, as she LOVES the spray and drinking from it :love::):rofl:

Cosmolo, very well said, there is no way ignoring our vizs mouthing would have ever worked and we did try that route for a week and it got MUCH worse and she also just went and did other BAD things :mad :p Every dog is different. We also ALWAYS substituted with a soft toy as they are gun dogs and have a 'thing' for carrying around soft toys ALL day, so we did not want to upset this genetic behaviour. All in all you have to use common sense and find something that works for your dog. Our 3 all respond to very different training methods. Keeps me on my toes :):wave:

If you have a pup who goes into drive when mouthing, be aware that they get chemical rewards in their brain at that point so simply ignoring them or redirecting them will often not work. I see this most often in the gundog and herding breeds.

Wow! that describes my dog's reaction (to many things as well as mouthing). I am so ignorant about drive- foolish since I have a high prey drive dog! :thumbsup: If only I knew enough to use her drive for good instead of evil...

Periau, I found the waterspray worked well on my girl when she was a pup. All I have to do is hold up a water bottle now and she behaves! I particularly used it for jumping on visitors, but have done it for mouthing (which she no longer does). Worked with the hose too when she was barking at the dog next door at one point. And she is in no way frightened of me- she just understands she will get a correction from it.

what works for me is sHAKING A PUPPY TUG in front of him

coz realli the main reason i think a puppy attempt to bite or mouth is because its in prey drive

so i simply re direct it onto something else thats alot less painfull and pat and be all happy like mad when it dos