Just When I Thought I Had Toilet Training Mastered.......

MsKatie

Just when I thought Rosie (13 week old kelpie puppy) had toliet training all worked out I awoke last night to find a wet quilt (yes - the one on the bed - yuck) and this morning found a wet patch AND a poo in the lounge. OH's fault - we usually shut our room door and he left it open --ggrrrr. Anyway - i am going to put the puppy pads down again and give the bed abit of a spray with GET OFF dog repellent - hopefully this was a one off and she won't pee on me again tonight :rolleyes:

A 13 week old puppy is still VERY much a baby. Does she have free roam of the house at night? I would personally stop this. Have you tried crating her at night? It can be a great help with toilet training. Don't give up, she'll get there :rolleyes: I'm sure you'll get some more advice here anyway.

It may have been a one off episode.

Bell poo'd all over the floor this morning and she's 2 and a half years old. She wasn't well and couldn't hold it in, so had no choice.

I have a 12 month old pup who does well as long as he is on a lead whenever he isn't in his crate. I walk around the house with him on it and every hour I walk him out to the spot where I want him to wee. As soon as he is off his lead I see him sniffing around the house and I haven't gotten to him in time, but he's only been house trained for 6 days.

He never pee's in his crate.

Is your dog crate trained? It may solve the problem as they know if they wet their bedding in the crate, they are most likely to be laying in it till morning.

OOps :rolleyes: question was already asked.. sorry

Edited by Bellnollie

We're crating our new baby and it's working a treat. We have one of those wire ones, at the moment we have an old quilt cover covering it but have ordered a proper cover. We have the crate next to our bed upstairs and at night we go for a last toilet break at about 11pm (unless I'm dog tired :cry: then it might be earlier) and then into the crate. Last night he woke me up at 2.30am and again at 5.30am to go out which I thought was pretty good.

If for some reason I can't watch him he goes into the crate also. We have another older dog and I don't want to take any chances so don't leave them alone unsupervised yet. Pup has only been with us for 6 days. We have only had two accidents inside and of course both my fault; once I was on the phone and couldn't get off fast enough once he finished tea and the other time was only about 15 minutes after we'd been outside and he had been to the toilet so I thought we were safe :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I never crated any of my puppies. They sleep in regular dog beds (trampoline beds now). However, I had a lot of trouble toilet training my first puppy (elkhound). He would refuse to go out when it was too hot or too wet.

One thing that really worked well for me was 'Urine Off' spray. Puppies (dogs as well) think that it is ok to go where they can smell their previous pee. So, teh first step is to take the smell off completely. Urine Off does this very well. I had tried every kind of household cleaning spray. Nothing worked except urine off.

I couldn't have guarenteed that out Kelpie Puppy was toilet trained until at least 5 months of age. 13 weeks is still very small.

I CANNOT recommend crate training highly enough!! :( We had a smaller plastic one(with a metal grid front door) for our Puppy until she was too big for it. She LOVED her crate. It went everywhere with her, so she always had a home and somewhere she was comfortable. She never had an accident in her crate-the trick is to make sure its not too big for their size. Halle is now just 9 months old and hasn't had an accident since she was 6 months old (unfamiliar house-and I forgot to get her to do a wee before bringing her in). She is now in a larger crate- canvas with mesh sides- which she loves too. She sleeps inside in the kitchen/family room.

May I ask where you got Rosie from? I can recommend a fantastic book for Kelpie puppies written specifically for and by kelpie breeders and owners. Halle is one of the best behaved puppies I have ever seen.. she puts our friends' dogs to shame. I owe it all to the book!

yeaha i though i had my puppy house trained at 10week though i was the man!! the best traininer in the world little did i know that he was hiding the shits!!

he hid them in the closet under the tables

i started noticing the house stinking up though i was him i was giving him lik 3 washes in one day !!!

it was the WORST !!

crate training is aWESOEMe!

and when you take the out to do there business dont play with them it distracts them

and have fun cleaning ahahahah !!!

Thanks for the advice - I have to admit Rosie was a pet shop pup :) - shock - horror..... :( but by the notes on her vet card I think she came from the SE of SA - I would be interested in that book - our other dogs are crossbreeds and any info about kelpies would be great :party: