Positions In Motion Exercise (udx) - Nsw

squeak

This question is prompted by another thread on the stay command, so I don't clog up that thread...

I am a long way from trialling at this level (if ever!) but it is something that has me curious.

In NSW, for UDX, there is an exercise called "Positions in Motion". In this exercise, you heel with your dog and the judge asks you to sit, down or stand your dog, and you keep walking. My understanding of the rules is that you are NOT allowed to give a stay command to the dog.

My question is, for those people who use a stay command, how to you teach this exercise - how do you get your dog to understand it is required to hold position whilst you keep walking when your "normal" stay command is missing?

Edited by squeak

Though I've certainly never made it to UDX before :laugh: I have taught this to Zoe (haven't practiced it in ages though). I started by walking slowly and giving the command and very slowly walking one step further. I think dogs probably see the stay command as superfluous so I'm not sure that using a stay command normally makes much difference. As you don't use a stay for things like drop on recall but you still expect the dog to stay there til you call them.

ETA: There is a chapter on teaching this exercise in my Schutzhund book :laugh:

Edited by Kavik

Divani can do this too, and I tought this more or less like Kavik said.

At first I would ask for a desired position when I was just moving near the dog, such as bending down, or turning my back etc, so the dog got used to doing a command not always from the heel position.

Than gone to the slight step forward while heeling.

I gave an exadurated hand signal at first and than made it less and less obvious till now there is no hand signal.

The other method is that you walk, give a command and than suddenly turn in front of your dog blocking it from going further.

Also you can use a long line and a helper to stop the dog from moving forward.

And of course you can use an ecollar for teaching this.

Thanks for this question!

It made me stop and think.

As someone that has not trailed since the early 90’s and done very little training until last year when I got my pound puppy, an over sized GSD male that needed lots of training.... After some weeks of very basic training It was very obvious he just loved doing what he was told and getting lots of pats when he was a “Good Boy” so after this dawned on me I went back to my old Club and started in the lower class’s as I needed some reminding of what I was doing wrong. Now we are looking at doing CCD over the next few months.

I just took my boy out into the yard and did some Heeling a drop, stand, auto. sit. Then I thought How am I going to do this “in motion”

so I started the heeling pattern again in very slow pace and once I wanted a stand I gave the stand signal making sure I was on my left leg when I said Stand and made sure the right leg was the leg that moved after the signal and moved 4 more steps and YES he was still standing there!!!!! so his heel signal is my left leg moving :-) ?? the same thing happened with the Down But I am going to have to make very sure I know what leg I am on when I give a signal! The next thing is How am I going to do the same thing for the sit as his auto. sit is when my left leg stops next to my right......... Now I am going to have to train myself before I can expect him to stay after an auto.sit... more food for thought on what I am doing.

I've found that if you always heel off with the left leg and always do stays leading off with the right that it just comes naturally since which leg you take off on becomes another signal. Which is of course why some triallers are so strict about it. Dogs are very observant, if you're consistent they almost seem to learn things by themselves. :)

A stay is not something I use when we are in motion. If I call out a position - I have always taught from day dot that they just follow through with the position. Just because you use a 'stay' command doesn't mean you need it every time the dog needs to hold a position - just as I never use a stay for the heelwork etc. I've never really thought about it.

A stay command to me, is just to reinforce to the dog to wait in that position until I return - a wait is 'wait' for another command.....

each to their own, but if you really think about it - the lead up to a position in motion and a lead up to a stay are two very different exercises.

I guess one could also argue - if you use the same hand signal for sending your dog to the directed retrieve, fetch, seekback and scent work - how do they know the difference - it's the whole context of the situation

Yes, a voice command is good for this exercise. Also, a fast and reactive dog also helps.

I have been working on faster reaction times by marking the first sign of motion during the exercises. Obviously, you do need a dog that already knows the exercises though.