How Long Till A Puppy Can Last Through The Night Without The Need To G

tracylacy

Hi there,

just wondering what your thoughts are on this. We have been sleeping our new pup (11 weeks) in his crate in our bedroom. We have been using a combination of newspaper in the corner of his crate as well as taking him out for toilet breaks during the night.

I am pretty sure that in the morning he complains to get out both because he wants to get out and play and because he wants to go to the tiolet.

I don't expect his little bladder to hold out for too many hours, but was just wondering what other people's experiences have been with this.

Our older dog slept outside from the day we got him so I don't really have anything to compare with.

Hi, I have recently been in a similar situation. I have one of my young pups in our bedroom in a crate too, he is now 14 weeks old and I haven't taken him outside to toilet through the night since he was 12 weeks. My routine is to take him out as late as possible before I go to bed - say about 10 - 11pm. I always wake up at 5.30 - so he gets let out again then. No accidents since he was about 10 weeks old. When he was about this age, I would get up through the night and put him outside if I heard him wake. - Or when my OH would wake and say "Oscar needs to go outside" - there was no way OH would get out of bed!!!

I was told the formula is the age of the dog in months plus one.

So a 3 month old should be let out to toilet every 4 hours, a 4 month old every 5 hours, etc.

My pup didn't need to go that frequently though, and has never toileted near where she sleeps.

Hope this helps x

it al depends on your dog, and how well you can read them. my pup was amazing. from 9 wks she only needed to go out 2 time at night, and at 12 wks she just held on....... now shes 17 (i think, lost track) and she manages to hold on when we go out, and take unexpectedly longer, and holds on all through the night. amazing for her age.

as for him wanting to play.... if you can tell the differnece, just ignore it.

i used to play my little onster out totally before we went to bed, that i almost had to carry her, so i knew when she woke up it was to go to the toilet.

yes, while i think the 'age of pup (in months) + 1' rule is a good guide, it might also depend on the breed- i think larger breeds might need to relieve themselves more often during the night than smaller breeds. my cousin's westie could sleep throughout the whole night without needing to be let out once since he was 8 weeks. on the other hand, my golden retriever pup had to be let out 2-3 times a night from around 8-13 weeks. she's now almost 5 months and only gets up once during the night to go potty- she's only ever made it throughout the whole night once or twice!

yes, while i think the 'age of pup (in months) + 1' rule is a good guide, it might also depend on the breed- i think larger breeds might need to relieve themselves more often during the night than smaller breeds. my cousin's westie could sleep throughout the whole night without needing to be let out once since he was 8 weeks. on the other hand, my golden retriever pup had to be let out 2-3 times a night from around 8-13 weeks. she's now almost 5 months and only gets up once during the night to go potty- she's only ever made it throughout the whole night once or twice!

I thought it was the other way around, due to size of bladder.

You didn't mention if he wees in the crate. The idea of a crate is so they don't use it as a toilet, unless its too big for the puppy, in which case you can block off part of it until he grows into it.

I have a 12 week old labrador who has managed to get through the night without needing to toilet for the last week or so - I am super impressed. I originally had him in the laundry in a pen, with a crate in the pen for him to sleep. A fortnight ago he would wake up in the middle of the night, go to the toilet, and then bark to let me know! :rofl:

So I moved the crate into my bedroom and he sleeps in there with the door shut so I can get him outside quickly if he needs to go. It's been a great success for me. But from my reading, puppies generally seem to be able to hold based upon hour to month (eg. two months - two hours)

i sleep with pups til theyre toilet trained

generally theyre still going once through the night at 8 weeks even though they might pee at midnight - my last effort for the night before bed

then durng the ninth week they can hold out til about 430 or 5 ( this is assuming you still toilet at midnight)

by the end of the ninth week they can go through til 6

and then by ten they can go to the loo at 10 30 - 11 00 and not stir til 6 - 630

it comes quickly

but i find that if you stick with taking them out they really learn quicker than letting them puddle in the laundry

i tie a long leash round my arm and the minute they move i whisk em downstairs

it's hard in winter but worth it!

during the day though it varies

some are great and can hold on

others pee every ten minutes even at ten weeks

the less accidents theyhave the better - each time they pee inside they have missed the opportunity to associate the yard with the toileting behaviour

Depends on the puppy I think - ours seems to be able to go through the night (touch wood) and she is 14 weeks - but up until 2 weeks ago she was doing it everywhere - I even checked the first couple of mornings to make sure it wasn't hidden anywhere :D She isn't crated but is in our room on her own bed and with the door closed - has access to the outside when we are at home and lives outside when we are not. 2 older dogs so that may have helped.

- Fingers crossed she doesn't make a liar of me tonight :D

Our girl is 15 weeks now and she still goes once during the night, however when we got her at 11 weeks it was 3-4 times so I'm pretty happy! ;)

Just give it time, I would say by around 14 weeks it should only be once. I don't know if the breed affects this, our girl is an Aussie shepherd.... :hug:

I think it just depends. I only had about two weeks at most of having to get up. Esme slept right through at a pretty young age, and our idea of sleeping through is around 8am. She's not once gone in her crate. But I have always filled her crate with bedding rather than inviting her to wee in there offering paper etc.