Question Regarding Dominance

poochmad

My 15 week old pup likes to lie on me while chewing a beef hide or pigs ear, or if he can't lie on me (i.e. sitting in a chair), he will sit or lie on my foot. (If I'm not present he will sit or lie near my husband or family members.)

My friend was told at dog training that when her pup (18 weeks) lies on her foot or sits on it, it's dominating her. Which of the two statements refer to a pup being dominant or are the dogs just being affectionate?

Thanks.

It need not be "dominance" or any form of assertion for "dominance" Poochmad and is unlikely to be, given his very young age. I expect he enjoys the comfort of touch and knowing you are around. (Saying this without knowing or seeing your pup.) IMO your pup is (not intentionally) showing trust in you that he will stick around and eat (high value?) items such as pigs ears in your close proximity. Chances are, if you are demonstrating good leadership in all other areas it is unlikely to rise to a perception of "dominance" as your pup matures. But these sorts of things, coupled with other things (eg. where your dog learns that things occur on his terms rather than yours) can lead to your dog's perception of its hierarchy being higher than yours and that's when problems can start. However, if you are not wanting your pup to do this (try to think of all circumstances both now and in the future where it might be inconvenient or a problem) then be calmly assertive and not allow it to become so habitual that your pup won't do anything but. Your pup would do well to learn to not eat/chew food whilst touching/leaning/sitting on you when you indicate to him not to.

For pups and for that matter, adult dogs that are learning the 'rules', there are many things I like to randomise so that certain habits don't become a "must have" in the dog's mind.

Edited by Erny

This is interesting. I wonder if the pup feels that Poochmad is in fact keeping him safe while eating, preventing other pack members from stealing the food?

Our boy likes to lie with his head on our feet if we're sitting down and he hasn't been invited onto a lap. He also likes to sit very physically close to us as much as possible. I think dogs just like close contact, it seems to make them feel secure.

Ours does have a bit of a dominant streak but I think he's fairly clear on where he stands. I make him wait while I go through the door first. We were told not to play Tug with him, or if we do, to always win. I ask him to take his chews onto his mat so that the carpet doesn't get messy.

It need not be "dominance" or any form of assertion for "dominance" Poochmad and is unlikely to be, given his very young age. I expect he enjoys the comfort of touch and knowing you are around. (Saying this without knowing or seeing your pup.) IMO your pup is (not intentionally) showing trust in you that he will stick around and eat (high value?) items such as pigs ears in your close proximity. Chances are, if you are demonstrating good leadership in all other areas it is unlikely to rise to a perception of "dominance" as your pup matures. But these sorts of things, coupled with other things (eg. where your dog learns that things occur on his terms rather than yours) can lead to your dog's perception of its hierarchy being higher than yours and that's when problems can start. However, if you are not wanting your pup to do this (try to think of all circumstances both now and in the future where it might be inconvenient or a problem) then be calmly assertive and not allow it to become so habitual that your pup won't do anything but. Your pup would do well to learn to not eat/chew food whilst touching/leaning/sitting on you when you indicate to him not to.

For pups and for that matter, adult dogs that are learning the 'rules', there are many things I like to randomise so that certain habits don't become a "must have" in the dog's mind.

Hi Erny. thanks for your comments, sorry for my tardy response. (I have been offline for a few days).

I too, thought it was a comfort thing only and wasn't really that concerned. The fact that I can give him high value treats (pigs ears, chicken wings) and touch him or even take them away shows that he's not being dominant. There are times that he lies away from us as well, so again I'm not concerned that it's becoming a 'habit'.

I don't mind him lying on or near me while he's eating...I take it as a compliment.

What are your thoughts on dogs standing/lying on your feet? Do you think that's a comfort thing as well?

Hi Poochmad, Erny hits the nail on the head and I wouldn't be too bothered about it, except if you see it as a potential problem or bother in the future as mentioned.

The word "dominance" is thrown around so much by some people that it can make any dog owner nervous each time their dog does something that is normal dog behaviour.

Dominance is situational specific in that the dog 'dominates' or asserts dominance over something that he sees of high value ie food, a bitch on heat etc.

Standing or lieing on your feet can be seen as 'dominance' but only if leadership is un-balanced and needs to be in taken in context with other behaviours and actions on the part of the dog. Dogs will place their paws on the shoulders of other dogs to assert dominance which can be transposed to humans, but I doubt very much that your young pup is doing that, although a good leadership check never goes astray.

Hi Poochmad, Erny hits the nail on the head and I wouldn't be too bothered about it, except if you see it as a potential problem or bother in the future as mentioned.

The word "dominance" is thrown around so much by some people that it can make any dog owner nervous each time their dog does something that is normal dog behaviour.

Dominance is situational specific in that the dog 'dominates' or asserts dominance over something that he sees of high value ie food, a bitch on heat etc.

Standing or lieing on your feet can be seen as 'dominance' but only if leadership is un-balanced and needs to be in taken in context with other behaviours and actions on the part of the dog. Dogs will place their paws on the shoulders of other dogs to assert dominance which can be transposed to humans, but I doubt very much that your young pup is doing that, although a good leadership check never goes astray.

Hi Kelpie-i. You have made me feel a whole lot better! You're correct - the word dominance is thrown around way too easily and it's easy to become concerned without needing to. Henschke is very good. He sits and waits for his dinner (if he goes to eat it, I say uh-uh and he will stop and re-sit), he's only allowed on the couch when we invite him, otherwise he sleeps on the floor. If he goes on the couch he's told 'off' and he happily jumps down. Sometimes he will come on the couch (when asked) and then hops off and sleeps on the floor.