Chain Shy

Howdy folks,

I just picked up a new GSD pup (when I say pup, I mean 11 months.) He's fairly highly strung with incredible drive and there's a great expectation in his future potential. There's one niggling little issue that I've discovered with him that may have been carried over from his previous carer.

He's a major puller, he pulls relentlessly on the lead despite it being a check chain. There's times during casual walking where if I act as though I'm going to really 'pop' or 'crunch' him on the lead, he anticipates it and turns really submissive. (Despite the fact I don't pull on the lead at all.)

I'm wondering if anyone's had experience with a similar issue. I want to do two things with him, firstly, correct his pulling issue without tarnishing his drive, and secondly, stop him from being chain shy. Any ideas?

you are not correcting at the correct time or in the right manner. You are letting him pull then you pause, brace and let loose with a big correction for (in the dogs mind) no reason.

Make sure you have a long 6 foot lead and work in your back yard. Let him wander around and encourage him to follow you (high pitched COME COME COME and a prey toy like a piece of tubed labs wool) if he runs off big correction. If he lags give him little encouraging tugs to let him know to follow. Them move out of the yard to the foot path in front of your house and play there. If he does run off let him hit the end of the lead and give him a good correction but DO NOT verbally correct.

You are seen has fun and control/permit drive the collar corrects when necessary. This way the dog will not shut down because of you.

If you're in Vic and have probs let me know and we can catch up - I have trained security/schutzhund before

Edited by Nekhbet

Hi muchumbo,

I have a 10 month old German Shepherd that has a similar problem and a very high prey drive. On Friday we commenced the Loosh Leash Walking distance learning course from Steve at K9 force and the results were immediate. Today we even walked past other dogs without any pulling. I highly recommend Steves course! Also ask him about the most appropriate collar and lead to use. Check out his fantastic website as it has lots of great training articles. K9 Force

Edited by Kynan

K9: really sounds like the handler & dog communication was, or is still poor. The dog has been corrected possibly in a fit of rage & coupled with no communication & I would guess attempting to correct before the exercises was correctly taught, has your dog acting this way.

I would be getting a good training program organised with a good trainer & I feel you will get over this problem fairly easily.

I am sure the dog doesnt know what is expected of him if he pulls then acts this was after a correction...