Spayed Bitches

Fevah

Not sure whether I am making a mountain out of a molehill but thought I would present my latest problem to those wise DOLers out there.

Last Wednesday our Koolie girls got spayed. We have managed to keep them fairly quiet since then but they have developed a worrying habit.

While they were entire they never had any aggression issues.

Now they seem to be arking up at any little thing. On Sunday we were relaxing in the backyard on a massive beanbag, one girl clambered over it and accidentally knocked the other girl. Massive bitch fight, more noise than anything - of course they stopped as soon as well told them to - however I'd never previously seen them get so ratty at eachother. Likewise today I was talking to OH over the phone and he was in the middle of feeding them and left the bowls on the kitchen bench, I heard them go at it in the background again - he told them to stop they did.

I don't know, I was under the impression that two entire bitches are the worst possible combination, but now it seems I have the opposite to contend with. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar problem? Also, do you think they are being more 'bitchy' than usual because of the discomfort they are feeling after the op?

Aaargghh they are such gorgeous girls and everything was going so well, I'm just hoping its temporary!

I don't think there would be any significant hormonal change so quickly, they are probably feeling very tender still, they have had an operationt that takes hunmans weeks to recover from.

Just be a bit firmer with both of them until they settle back down. I'm sure they will return to great mates soon.

Just remember that both of these girls have just had a complete and sudden "early menopause", and dogs don't even have a menopause like people!

The sudden change in hormones added to post surgery discomfort is bound to make them crabby. Once during a caesar I discussed whether or not to spay at the same time and he was adamant that the change in hormones over the next few days was no burden to inflict on a new mother coping with surgery and puppies - only to be done in emergencies.

There have been studies showing increased aggression in some spayed bitches due to the different hormonal makeup, but this doesn't seem to be too common.

Thanks for replying guys, OH and I will keep a close eye on them and make sure they aren't too 'bitchy' at eachother.

I'm sure everything will get better once they can go beach walkies again. I think they might be somewhat bored :laugh: Oh well, stitches out this Friday!

Be very careful, once bitches fight they don't usually get over it. Different to males. I'd imagine they are cranky after surgery and there is a hormone change. I'd be keeping them separate and supervised when together for a while to see if things settle.

Your vet could do some hormone tests. I'd be trying to give them peace and quiet and some Rescue Remedy as well.

What is this Rescue Remedy and where can I get it from?

I hope for my, OH's, Tyche's, Jicin's, Remy's and Jacques' sake you're wrong dogmad.

It would be real irony if things turned to s**t just because we had done the right thing :laugh:

Two thoughts come to mind.

One is that dogs sense if another dog is in anyway different, especially after surgery. I don't mean the desexing itself but just the general aura of change in a dog from scent and confidence. The slightest weakness is picked upon. They've been at the vet so have different smells on them and have had a somewhat unsettling experience so their own confidence has to recover.

The other is two dogs that have been parted even if just for the shortest of times have to re-establish pack position. This is normally so subtle humans don't even notice it going on from day to day but after a trip to the vet's it's going to be far more indepth. So even if they went to the vet together at the same time, the fact that they were in separate cages and parted for some hours is enough under these circumstances.

These two things go hand in hand with the change. I would certainly be looking at Rescue Remedy and perhaps a homeopathic remedy for settling them after upheavel.

The alpha bitch may have just taken things a tad harder than the beta bitch and the beta bitch has picked up on it so challenging.

Edited by Chocolate

Honestly I really wouldn't read too much into it all, two girls smell funny from cleaning products, anaesthetics etc and now they are both sore and not 100% themselves, it very unlikely to last! Once stitches are out, I'm sure all will be forgotten on the beach walks!