Bathing Advice For Novice

Tatelina

My girls get bathed every now with an oatmeal shampoo if they're particularly dirty...and I guess I'm lucky that they both don't have particularly long hair...

Washed my labrador foster on the weekend in a hydrobath and forgot how much dirt and hair they moult!! The water was filthy! Even though he still looked so golden and yummy!

Anyway my questions are what are some basic tips and advice for

A) grooming out all of that winter coat! It just wouldn't stop!! Even after I brushed him for about 15mins with a slicker brush before I washed him! Afterwards it just kept falling and falling...heh. Guess I've forgotten what those thick water coats are like. :thumbsup:

B) what product or method to make their coats smooth/shiney/silky? So they look pretty when out and about trying to find new homes. :thumbsup:

Some brands of shampoo for dogs have shampoo AND conditioner... is it the same as human hair? Shampoo opens the folicles for cleaning and conditioner closes them up and makes the hair smooth?

Is there a general product that gives an extra hint of shineyness or something?

He is probably losing alot of hair because he has had a bad diet and has been stressed if he is a rescue. As well as him losing his winter coat.

Do you have a shedding blade? Looks sort of like a hacksaw blade that is twisted around in an oval with a handle on it.

What do you feed? I myself have changed the consistencey of my pugs hair from short and coarse to long and soft by stopping feeding dry food and getting him onto a BARF diet.

Omega 3 and Evening Primrose Oil are supposed to make hair shiney. You can feed sardines or other fish for the Omega 3.

Plush puppy shampoo and conditiner is excellent but most products will do the job and yes like humans they need conditioner to close folicles. Your best bet for de-shedding is use hot water to bath let shampoo sit for 10 min then condition and blow dry while you brush. Also there is a good horse product called a magic block works wonders. But use before a bath as it has a bad smell to it. Also if you rug your dog in the winter it will not grow so much winter coat so easier to groom out when the warmer mths come. note magic block is not to be used on flowing coated breeds. but will be great for your lab. Hope this info helps. :laugh:

Daily brushing and a good diet are the foundations for glowing coat.

Then you can cheat. Add a squirt of coat oil or baby oil to a bucket of warm water, pour it over a washed and rinsed dog and squeeze it through with your hands. Don't wash out.

Wait for dog to dry and add sunglasses. You'll need them.. your dog will sparkle. :laugh:

Thanks for the tips guys! And for the offer Clyde! (Have PMd you)

My lot get a raw meat diet - can't say BARF officially as I haven't researched what amounts of what they need specifically - but as close to as I can manage atm. (Pet mince from the butcher - liver/heart/beef/lamb/whatever good stuff they put in, chicken carcasses/necks/wings, heart, liver, and lots and lots of bones. :laugh:http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...=136250&hl= ) And they get a little bit of kibble to supplement it.

Have heard of using sardines mixed with food once a week to help...but I was thinking more short term, quick fixes for making a dog look pretty if they come in looking a bit 'worse for wear'. Thanks for the advice though!!

I haven't got myself a shedding tool yet.. I know the blade thingies... Is that better to use than say a furminator?

When I was washing dogs at my old work I only ever used one shampoo solution...is this because they were cutting corners? Or because you can get a 2in1 product? What's the secret? :)