Herding

Colleen, if you contact Kate Dourley, she can let you know when the Vic Herding association have their clinics. We took the dogs along to one at KCC Park, there was an instructor there (Karen Sherlock) and the dogs went in one at a time for about 10 minutes each after we'd had a short lesson from Karen.

She gave instruction the whole time and helped out when necessary. The sheep are well used to being herded so unlikely to startle the dogs.

The dogs got 2 goes each which was plenty.

We had a fabulous day, but herding just doesn't do it for me as a dog sport. But plenty of people absolutely love it.

Hi Colleen, this is how I started.

I took my male dogs out to a club many years ago to have them assessed. Reports were not good & I took the advice to wait until I had a dog with more natural talent & instinct before I took up herding.

Four years later, I got Trim & started my next experience herding with her breeder. It was fabulous to be able to learn from an experienced & knowledgeable person who knew exactly what to do to give her the best possible start. We started slowly, once at 6mths, once at 9 mths, once at 12mths. I had the great experience of learning myself by working her other trained dogs while she worked Trim. From 12 months, I took her there a bit more often but as it was a 4 hour drive, not as often as I would have liked. It was like nothing I had ever done with a dog before and the icing on the cake was that I got that talented dog that I had waited for.

By this stage I was totally hooked and wanted to do this more regularly. I joined a couple of clubs & off we went each weekend. We had a different instructor each week with a different method & a different level of experience. I diligently tried everything that was suggested to me & things started to fall apart, resulting in a very confused dog & handler. I still took her back to her breeder as often as I could & she tried to fix the bad habits I had been letting Trim develop. After a while it just all got too hard, I knew I was slowly but surely ruining my talented little dog & we pretty much stopped alltogether.

Recently we have started again. I now have Shine from the same breeder & she is looking like she will be equally as talented. I am not in a position to take them to their breeder anymore so I have picked someone close to me whose dogs & methods I have admired for a long time & they have agreed to help me. So far, so good. Trim is looking like the dog she started out as again & Shine has only learnt one way right from the beginning. I am starting to feel quite confident & the times where I know what to do without needing to be told are increasing all the time.

I am not sure exactly what you were asking in your question but I hope my experiences will help you think about what you want from your dogs. Working sheep with my dogs is one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. I hope you find it that way too.

Vickie

Edited by Vickie

I started herding though the Koolie Club. We just took our dogs in on lead and waited to see what they did. The instructors are great for helping out beginner dogs. The sheep the Koolie Club use are not use to being herded so are a great challenge for the dogs and great with dogs that are a little full on when herding.

:mad

Herding has always just been a part of everyday life for us.All us kids were herding and mustering stock from a very early age.The Family is full of Drovers,Breeders,Cattlemen so there was always People around that were real handy with a dog. Tony

Hi - any ideas on herding in South Australia - does the dog have to be registered somewhere? I am intersted in it for my kelpie but she is a pet shop dog (I know - I know - but it is done now and I am trying to do the best I can - she seems like a great little dog :rofl: )

Any advice welcome :laugh:

What's the good of ya? :thumbsup:

We visit Kamarooka atleast a couple times a year (national park area),

Elmore is near Raywood, sort of, I think. Anyway we were there a

couple weeks ago. Would love to check it out (the herding) when

its back on.