6mo Stafford Toilet Training Woes.

andrew_leesa

Hi

we have taken onboard a 6 month old stafford girl. had her for a month now.

She has been crate trained by her previous owner. no problems there. Shes sleeping in our laundry in her crate with the door open. the laundry door to the outside has a dog door which she now has down pat. no worries there either. 0 misses in this situation

the problem when she has free run of the house (not sleeping time) shes not going OUTSIDE to do wee. poo about 90% no worries.

she is going on hard surfaces only tiles, timber floor, concrete, paving (yay for easy to clean up!) we would like to drop this and point her at the grass... sooo, im doing all the take her out constantly and lots of praise when she gets it right, but after a month we are still having constant accidents.. should add we have sucessfully toilet trained dogs before without issue..

Any suggestions are appreciated!!!!

Give her a break she is still a puppy at 6 months and if you have only just gotten her then there is even more reason to cut her some slack.

Take her out every hour, after she has eaten, after she has had a big play, after she has woken up from a sleep, to the place you want her to toilet and tell her 'go to the toilet go to the toilet' when she does make a big song and dance over it and reward her with a treat.

If you currently have paper or puppy pads down inside remove them as they will confuse her into thinking that she can toilet inside. They key is to constantly take her outside.

At 6 months, you've got to undo behaviour she's already learned so it will take a while.

Any idea what her previous owner did in the way of toilet training? If she's been kenneled or in a run with concrete, she'll have no inhibitions about toileting on it.

I'd go back to basics (as you have). Take her out and show her where you want her to go. Stay and reward the behaviour you want.

• 2 weeks later...
we suspect she was crated inside and kennelled so hard surfaces make sense.

we are off to get some urine off as shes defiantly going to the same spots to go so that may make sense.

post-5219-1222841380_thumb.jpg

The problem im having with my 6month old staffy is whenever we have some one over when they walk over to pat her she pees herself she is toilet trained but cant get her to stop doing this any ideas on what i can do ?

Thanks

im taking it shes pretty excited? thats quite normal expecially if shes been desexed very recently.

they tend to fall in love with everyone :( try and keep her calm and introduce her to them on a lead. or crate her and introduce her to them through the crate? just make it as low key as possible and build on it from there.

we have been making some good progress with ours getting her outside. only had 1 accident last week so i reckon we have it nailed.

we suspect she was crated inside and kennelled so hard surfaces make sense.

we are off to get some urine off as shes defiantly going to the same spots to go so that may make sense.

post-5219-1222841380_thumb.jpg

The problem im having with my 6month old staffy is whenever we have some one over when they walk over to pat her she pees herself she is toilet trained but cant get her to stop doing this any ideas on what i can do ?

Thanks

We still have this problem with our 2 girls when new people come to visit. They dont flood it everywhere like they used to, just a few sprinkles here and there.

But yes use a lead when introducing her to people it worked for our girls and warn them before they do pat her (what a shock that would be patting a nice dog and in return getting peed on)

and andrew_lessa if what your doing now is working keep at it and keep rewarding her when she gets it right.

Good luck to both of you