Bloat Question

A friend at work has a biggish dog (compared with my 8kg things) who had bloat recently. Seems to be getting better but still in care.

I said I talk mine for a 30 minute walk, then I feed them some breakfast (this meal is about 40% of thier intake)when I have mine. We then sit and watch the news, read the paper etc before I leave for work about an hour later. They just lie around for this hour generally. They are normally looking very rested and sleepy when I leave. She said I shouldn't feed them after the walk (its just a walk, no frisbee or chasings or anything like that). Is that right? What is everyone's routine in the morning? is my routine bad?

Edited by chuckie500

bloat is something that normally your large, deep chested breeds get but yes several of the things you are told to avoid to minimise chances of getting bloat are not feeding before or after excercise to leave it an hour or so, soak dry food before feeding, feeding twice a day not one big meal, dont let them drink heaps of water after excercise amongst other things. I had a dog get bloat, he had not been excercised and was not fed dry food at all, he was not stressed and he had not eaten that night but they had to pump out 2 litres of water from his stomach

I think if they are going to get it they will, i also beleive it can be a genetic thing as well as i know a few in his lines had died of bloat.

I personally dont think you are doing anything wrong as i said its normally your big dogs that get it, good luck with your friends dogs recovery and tell your friend that if they have had bloat once there is a chance they can get it again so another thing i was told was to give my fella a charcoal tablet with his meals, not sure if it works or not

What breed? I haven't heard of any small breeds being susceptible to bloat v

Bloat is normally an issue in larger breeds that have a deep chest and a tucked up stomach, which allows the stomach ligaments to stretch and the stomach to twist, causing bloat. Exercise before feeding is only an issue because it helps to loosen these ligaments.

Your dogs should be fine with your routine., although a bloat prone breed wouldn't be.

My friend's dog is having their stomach stitch down so it can't twist anymore.

I though it was good to give your dog a walk dog in the morning, and a feed so that they feel a bit more like sleeping (just like we like to snooze after eating).

True, mine are little fellas and therfore the risk is small.

Thanks

The supposed rule for minmising bloat is no exercise at least an hour either side of food. Whether soaking kibble reduces the risk depends on which study you read - same with feeding from a height.

As other posters have said - bloat is quite specific to certain breeds with the deep chests.

Guest magnum

Having lost two GSD's with bloat it's so very heartbreaking, I tend to agree with ausk9gsd that it can run through a line sadly :laugh: We did everything in our power for them not to bloat again once they had, surgery everything but we still lost our beloved girls :thumbsup:

We had a mini poodle at work boarding. Had not been running around. Had lunch (soft food) and about 10 mins later (still in its kennel being quiet), started bloating.

Thankfully we saw it straight away and managed to get a tube down him and he was ok.

But it can happen to smaller breeds too - maybe not as common, but it can happen.

Edited by stormie

Had bloat/tortion 3 times in my Dobe bitch. I did everything "right" so to speak and still had problems not helped at all by her idea that anything she could fit down her throat was food! Mine were crated inside or in the run(they didn't run around in there) For an hour before eating and two hours after. Yes it is hard to feed and exersize a dog that is prone to this condition and fit in work life etc,but she ended up living until almost 12 years of age. I have been told even some small breeds can be prone to it Poodles and Dacshunds (spelling?) Were a couple I can remember.