Keeping Dog Still After Knee Operation

Our 9 y/o Maltese is booked for an ACL operation next week so need to think about a task I'm not look forward to. ie. keeping her off that leg for 4-6 weeks. :laugh:

She's not a particularly active dog but over the years she's been conditioned to her 1-2 per day walks . The last 6 weeks have been hard enough with her only being allowed outside to do her "outside doggy business" :laugh: on a leash so the next period is gonna be tough.

So I guess I'd be interested to hear what others who've been through the same circumstances found worked for them. :)

I'd thought of laying blankets in the bathtub but she doesn't like being away from people for long so scrapped that idea.

At this stage I was thinking something like a portable baby cot, maybe something like this http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/portable-b...ld-away-design/ :thumbsup:

Edited by morita

Our 9 y/o Maltese is booked for an ACL operation next week so need to think about a task I'm not look forward to. ie. keeping her off that leg for 4-6 weeks. :laugh:

She's not a particularly active dog but over the years she's been conditioned to her 1-2 per day walks . The last 6 weeks have been hard enough with her only being allowed outside to do her "outside doggy business" :laugh: on a leash so the next period is gonna be tough.

So I guess I'd be interested to hear what others who've been through the same circumstances found worked for them. :)

I'd thought of laying blankets in the bathtub but she doesn't like being away from people for long so scrapped that idea.

At this stage I was thinking something like a portable baby cot, maybe something like this http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/portable-b...ld-away-design/ :thumbsup:

My Staffy Bella had a Cruciate Ligament operation about 12 mths ago, I found that we just let her stay in her normal bed (this is a raised dog bed with a big cushion) She would get up when she needed the toilet and for about 2 wks we carried her outside down the couple of steps we have and just brought her back in again when she was done. If your dog is quiet like you say it should not be a problem. I know Bella would have been more distressed if we had put her into another bed. I now give her Joint Guard daily and sometimes she favors her leg but apart from that she is good.

My Staffy Bella had a Cruciate Ligament operation about 12 mths ago, I found that we just let her stay in her normal bed (this is a raised dog bed with a big cushion)

Like this?

Durabed-red.jpg

I doubt Katie would stay on this longer than 20 minutes before hopping down to go walkabouts :laugh:

Definately a crate. Get one now and start getting her used to it before the surgery.
Another vote for a crate.

Thanks.

Do they make crates that are open on the top? All the ones I've looked at so far are closed on the top with front and/or side doors.

If they make them I think I'd prefer top opening for ease of popping her and her food & water in and out.

Good luck with the surgery :laugh:

Thank you :eek:

Edited by morita

Definately a crate. Get one now and start getting her used to it before the surgery.
Another vote for a crate.

Thanks.

Do they make crates that are open on the top? All the ones I've looked at so far are closed on the top with front and/or side doors.

If they make them I think I'd prefer top opening for ease of popping her and her food & water in and out.

Good luck with the surgery :laugh:

Thank you :eek:

If you want something like that, then a puppy pen is what you are after. Some folk use the wire sided compost bins you can get at hardware stores. However, if it's low enough for you to bend over easily to put food etc in, then it may be low enough to encourage her to jump up on its sides to try and get out. That's not the result you are looking for.

You can get some dog crates that open on the top but you shouldn't have to be feeding her in it. She can have small breaks to eat and toilet.

ETA A Securapen from Ccrates would be perfect but they aren't cheap.

Edited by poodlefan

First of all you need a crate that isn't too big, great when you want to do other stuff and leave her on her own for a while. We had and Irish Setter puppy who had surgery on his back legs, I was amazed at how the little man coped, he was so good the whole time, not easy when his sister would go charging past him laying like a little trooper laying in his play pen, in plasters, He was in plasters for 8 or more weeks, only chewing the plaster once that I can remember. Just give her bones to chew or pigs ears, not many of course she may put on weight which is something to avoid. Good luck