Barf Diet - Need Some Variety!

I introduced my dogs to BARF about 2 months ago - it's going great so far and the dogs look a thousand times better because of it. When it comes to the bone portion of their meals, I was just wondering if anyone can recommend anything except for chicken bones? They currently get frames, necks and wings but I'd like to give them some more variety. I feel more comfortable with softer bones... so what animal bones can I use?!!

Any adviice would be much appreciated!

Guest PixieOfWrath

Anything.

Duck wings/necks/frames

Beef brisket/necks/tails

Lamb brisket/necks/shanks

Turkey wings/necks/frames

Fish

Horse

...whatever you like, pretty much. :laugh:

I don't know of any other raw foods that have rubbery bones like chicken frames. Chicken frames are actually the best for cleaning the teeth and not wearing them down.

Can you get access to rabbits?

Otherwise try lamb flaps for a change, or lamb/mutton knuckle bones.

I prefer the chicken frames because they have plenty of meat on them usually.

The odd beef bone would be a treat no doubt :laugh:

Awesome, thanks for all the great ideas!

I did see the salmon heads etc at the fish market the other day but was worried about the bones - i guess they are pretty small and insignificant in comparison to the chicken bones they are already used to!

how much do these normally cost? it's not an issue, im more curious than anything!

Turkey necks are excellent and kangaroo tails.

Don't forget about fish (raw or tinned)

At the moment i'm giving my pup chicken necks... bought some turkey but they're a bit too big for him at the moment..

Anyway i've heard a bit about fish but just wondering if it is safe? Really worried the sharp bones could hurt him internally.. :cheer:

If i were to give him some fish what type would i give and would i give him the whole thing? (without the head??)

Thanks, Josh :o:o

I've never had trouble with the fish - my big boy gets the heads (they are massive) and my pug gets the back bones and pec fins.

Generally I pay around $2/kg for most stuff and $4/kg for the fish bits :cheer: Tins of sardines are 55c.