Howling

Tom Walker

Lol my sibe howls when my chi is really yapping up a frenzy it's quite funny he sounds like a dying cat! I think it's hilarious but lucky I don't live too close to other people they probably wouldn't find it as funny, my neighbours told me once their son ran over to my place in a panic thinking someone had been injured only to find the dogs wagging their tails! :rolleyes:

I would start pretending to leave the house .. get your keys, wallet and leave the house as you would to go to work etc but not actually leave the first few times. then get in your car, drive around the block for 5 minutes and then start leaving for 10 minutes and then longer.

By the sounds of it when your pup was young you've never taught him that it is ok for him to be on his own .. you've always been there with him and now you've gone back to work. You need to re-teach him NOW while he's still a puppy.

You can't blame him for howliing .. you're his master and you've left him alone alll day long and he has no idea! A radio will also help defiantly. Feeding your pup just before you leave is a good idea, pups tend to sleep longer on a full belly. That is if he is kept outside.

But yeah get onto it straight away ... train him that he can amuse himself while you're away at work. You need more than toys!

yep thats what id do too

just show him that leaving is not a bad thing and leave him kongs to play with

freeze some stock in a kong and let him lick away ( not salty - just meat broth like chicken and veg not the commerical type )

Our Malamute puppy used to howl every time we left the house. He would only do it for about 10 mins or so though.

He's now 6 and we also have a second dog. He no longer howls when we leave the house. However they both howl if one gets to go for a walk and the other gets left behind (I only walk one at a time). The male is worse than the female and the noise he makes so so pityful - it sounds like he is being tortured.

I haven't figured out a way to get them to stop. I just make sure I don't walk too early in the morning so the neighbours don't get upset. Not much help I know, but I figured I'd let you know you are not alone with the howling. :cry:

those mutes are vocal hey ! lol

should change that last part of their name

lovely dogs though !@

everyone has given you great advice..

Also to keep on the good side with the neighbour try popping in to see them and ask them if things are improving. Let them know all the new things you are trying.

Often people tend to think us doggy owners are negligent when we really are trying our best. I would even go as far as to thank them for bringing it to your attention.

I actually ask my neighbours regularly if my dogs have been giving them any concerns and let them know the door is open for complaints.

I would rather them feel that I am open and easy to approach than them feel guilty and not confront me and instead call the council.