Allergy Or Something Else?

Luke W

Hi All

About 2-3 weeks ago (I think) Barkly started sneezing – not a lot maybe 5 times per day.

Over the last couple of days he’s started scratching more frequently (all over) and also rubbing his eyes with his paws...

I’m going to take him to the vet today – but I thought I’d ask if anyone had any ideas?

My first thought is that it’s spring and that it’s some kind of allergy to pollen, grass seeds or something.

Do your dogs get a bit itchy, or rub their eyes or get sneezy around this time of year?

Any particular plants he might be having a problem with?

Any other ideas?

Suggestions to help him?

We are in Melbourne.

Yep I think both of mine have an allergy to pollen at the moment. In fact I don't know maybe this year is super bad as Ness has just turned 8 and I don't remember her having quite as many problems in past years. I have her on an anti-histamine a day and I think its helping. My pup just gets gunky eyes so I am rinsing them out with warm salty water.

Yep I think both of mine have an allergy to pollen at the moment. In fact I don't know maybe this year is super bad as Ness has just turned 8 and I don't remember her having quite as many problems in past years. I have her on an anti-histamine a day and I think its helping. My pup just gets gunky eyes so I am rinsing them out with warm salty water.

No gunky eyes yet - just what seems to be itchiness.

Someone told me if the gunk is green they need to be on anitbiotics. I'm keeping an eye out.

I would cancel the vet appointment as they will try to prescribe cortisone which is not good.

Save yourself some money and get some Claratyne (human antihistamines) tablets and try him on one a day for the next few days. Should make a massive improvement.

Does he eat dry food or any other sort of grains in his diet? If so this could also be the source of some of his itching as preservatives and grains cause alot of skin problems in dogs.

I would cancel the vet appointment as they will try to prescribe cortisone which is not good.

Save yourself some money and get some Claratyne (human antihistamines) tablets and try him on one a day for the next few days. Should make a massive improvement.

Does he eat dry food or any other sort of grains in his diet? If so this could also be the source of some of his itching as preservatives and grains cause alot of skin problems in dogs.

I haven't really changed his diet.

He's on Eagle Pack Holistic Medium Puppy (which does have some grains).

I'm worried about using an anti-histamine - he won't develop a tolerence to them?

I'm worried about using an anti-histamine - he won't develop a tolerence to them?

Um no he wont. They are a hell of a lot better then long term cortisone usage.

I bet when you get to your vets today they will deal you out some cortisone, some antihistamines, may even give you dog a shot of cortisone, and try to get you to change your dog over onto a specific dry food that they sell to do an elimination diet.

Um no he wont. They are a hell of a lot better then long term cortisone usage.

I bet when you get to your vets today they will deal you out some cortisone, some antihistamines, may even give you dog a shot of cortisone, and try to get you to change your dog over onto a specific dry food that they sell to do an elimination diet.

I'm not going to make it to the vet today.

I'm not going to go the cortisone route.

My wife has been on prednisolone for 10 years - I'm aware of the downsides!

He's not too bad at the moment so I'll see how he is the next day or so - he seems better than he was last night.

And I've just bought 2 big bags of Eagle Pack :thumbsup:

The other thing I've considered is it might be peanut butter related. He's been getting a little bit more than usual. Still less than a teaspoon a day though.

But if he is very itchie right now wouldn't it be better to give him some relief, with an antihistamine, then for the itching to end up chronic and for him to have to go on cortisone because he has scratched himself red raw.

I sure as hell can't stand it when a dog is constantly scratching and I am sure it is very distressing for them also.

I give my pug boy a claratyne tablet every few months if he starts to itch. It stops the itching from going on for days and days.

I know many other pug owners that use antihistamines every now and again.

Claratyne is probably one of the safest antihistamines as the actual make up of it makes it unable to get into the CNS.

Reading back on your post it sounds like your dog has a yeast infection. ie is overloaded with yeast. When he starts getting itchie does he have a funny smell?

Edited by puggy_puggy

My boy gets 2 claratyne everyday of the year for his allergies.

That's want I want to avoid.

Unfortunately its not something you get to choose.

To be honest I just think its fantastic I can keep him stable on antihistamines and don't have to touch steriods.

But if he is very itchie right now wouldn't it be better to give him some relief, with an antihistamine, then for the itching to end up chronic and for him to have to go on cortisone because he has scratched himself red raw.

I sure as hell can't stand it when a dog is constantly scratching and I am sure it is very distressing for them also.

I give my pug boy a claratyne tablet every few months if he starts to itch. It stops the itching from going on for days and days.

Claratyne is probably one of the safest antihistamines as the actual make up of it makes it unable to get into the CNS.

Reading back on your post it sounds like your dog has a yeast infection. ie is overloaded with yeast. When he starts getting itchie does he have a funny smell?

If the dog does have a yeast infection would the Claratyne help to relieve the yeast condition?

Edited by Bonniescot

Why do you suspect a yeast infection?

He doesn't seem to be smelly.

I smelled in his ears - they smell a little bit doggy I suppose, but I really have to stick my nose in them to smell them They seem very clean to look at. I clean them once a week with warm water, ACV, a paper towel and my pinky finger. They are invariably very clean. I have no idea what a yeast infection smells like.

He has had smelly lip folds in the past, which I cured by cleaning with apple cider vinegar. I add ACV to his water regularly now.

He's not itching constantly, and I can't see any redness. I haven't seen him rub his eyes at all today.

He seems to scratch for maybe 10-20 seconds, once every hour or two (not that I'm keeping a diary or anything).

Edited by Luke W

to me it sounds as if he might be having a mild reaction to some of the grasses/flowers around at the moment... a lot of allergy sufferers get it seasonally. My boy was always at his worst in Autumn and the beginning of spring. depending on what he is having a reaction to, this might be the only time of year you will see him itch.