Aqua Ear For Dogs.

Daxilly

Hi,

My lab swims alot and has developed an ear infection, which I am treating with Epi- optic and antibiotic ointment.

I am trying to be pro active for any reoccurrence, so am looking at putting something in her ear to dry it up after swimming.

Is there a canine equivalent of Aqua ear or would it be OK to use the human one? I have asked my Vet and he doesn't know if Aqua ear is OK.

He did mention that Epi Optic is alcohol based but I read on a thread on DOL that it doesn't evaporate and dry the ear out like Aqua ear does. Comparing the ingredients of both they are not even similar, but then I am not a chemist so could be wrong. :thumbsup:

Thanks

Edited by Daxilly

Aqua ear is usually considered a bit too drying for a dogs ear, epi-otic is the product usually used for routin ear drying and cleaning post swimming. Or you could try PAW gentle ear cleaner for something which stings less (natural product) and appears to work just as well.

I am currently using Aqua Ear on my bitch - my vet says it's fine and we lamented the fact that Leo Ear Cleaner is no longer on the market !! :cheer: I don't find EpiOtic to be anywhere near as effective and there's no way it dries out my bitches ears (which is what I need for her atm.)

Apparently Aristopet also has an alcohol based ear cleaner on the market but I am having difficulty finding it.

My bitch has a malasezia (sp?) issue and despite treatment with Malaseb and Epiotic (plus I've tried a number of other products in recent months), her ear canal is still moist. She has just whelped so the vet suggested Aqua Ear until she and the babes are old enough to move (go to the vets) and have some form of cortisone. Good news is, it seems to be working and she is scratching heaps less.

In saying all that, if your dog has an ear infection, there is strong possibility that there is broken tissues in his ears - adding alcohol to broken skin would sting like crazy so I would only recommend using an alcohol based product after swimming AFTER his infection has cleared up! :cry:

Hope this info helps :happydance2:

Hi,

Thanks for that!

I googled Leo Ear cleaner and it has been renamed "clean aural dog ear cleaner". Unfortunately, you can't get it in Oz but the site I went to will ship to Oz. It is a UK site and it appears it is only available in the UK.

With the exchange rate the way it is at the moment plus postage it may work out pricey but if it is the only thing that will fix the problem it may be worth the cost.

Will try the epi-optic over summer and see how it goes. Otherwise I will try Clean Aural, and wear the cost.

Thanks

Edited by Daxilly

Hi,

My lab swims alot and has developed an ear infection, which I am treating with Epi- optic and antibiotic ointment.

I am trying to be pro active for any reoccurrence, so am looking at putting something in her ear to dry it up after swimming.

Is there a canine equivalent of Aqua ear or would it be OK to use the human one? I have asked my Vet and he doesn't know if Aqua ear is OK.

He did mention that Epi Optic is alcohol based but I read on a thread on DOL that it doesn't evaporate and dry the ear out like Aqua ear does. Comparing the ingredients of both they are not even similar, but then I am not a chemist so could be wrong. :thumbsup:

Thanks

There is also a product called MalAcetic Otic made by DermaPet that contains 2% Acetic Acid and 2% Boric Acid which dries ears out pretty well.