Watching Wowsa

Lynai

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is true of Saints also :eek: Many odd-looking specimens in the show-rings these days that I cringe at :shakehead:

Wow, I'm surprised to hear this is happening in the Saint ring. It has been happening big time with mastiffs, with some of the leggier, prancier Mastiffs winning over the powerful built, true mastiff types..this typically only happens in the open shows with "all rounder" judges.

Are you seeing something similar?

To be honest, I don't show. BUT I do see what is out there, and while they aren't necessarily winning all the time, there are some types and lines that in my opinion do not look like a real Saint. Not all the same things that you've noticed in Mastiffs, but some things are similar: narrow heads, skinny legs, no chest, no cheeks, long muzzles...overall they just do not look "powerful" "imposing" or "impressive" - three words mentioned often in the Saint Bernard standard. I know the types of dogs I like, and it's just sad to see them changing :thumbsup:

You know Rocco and Clyde, don't you think the giant breeds tend to get weedier and worse looking the more popular the dogs become as more and more byb get involved to make a quick buck, but lack the pedigree and breed standard study that should be taken into account before breeding

Yes!!!!!! Oh YES :cry: That is so true. The dogs tend to lose their prescence if that makes sense.

lets see, his current weight in kg is 32.6 (72 pounds

Holy crap! He only weighs about 6kgs less than my 5 yr old Rotti :laugh:

You know Rocco and Clyde, don't you think the giant breeds tend to get weedier and worse looking the more popular the dogs become as more and more byb get involved to make a quick buck, but lack the pedigree and breed standard study that should be taken into account before breeding. So often I see dogs just slapped together with the end result looking like a not good. I have seen this happen with BM as well. Rocco is a dreamy guy nice bod and head on him ;)

Yeah, some of the BM standard you see around is disappointing and ugly heads. Sometimes I don't even think it's necessary BYB stuffing it. Some breeders just dont have good foundation dogs to start. I guess everyones like certain types and strive for that even if it isn't appealing. I always think as long as a BM can knock down a full grown man then all good, but some I would question. Thanks for your Roc comments. ;)

Anymore pics? :rolleyes:

Thanks Bonnie and Clyde :rolleyes: ;) (sorry I couldn't resist hooking your two names together) guess it only makes sense if you know old American Gangsters

Funny you should ask about photos Rocco..I took this photo this morning. How I wish I had a better camera and better skills...perhaps one day I'll get a nice digital camera.

Wowsa064.jpg

Wowsa057.jpg

Wowsa358.jpg

Edited by Lynai

• 2 weeks later...

Well Wowsa turns 5 months old on the 16th, he is a solid 90 pounds (almost 41kg)

Wowsa with my 13 year old tonight, he is starting to get at that funky growth stage, where everything screams PUPPY but the size doesn't match the word. You expect a dog this size to be more graceful and less puppyish.

Wowsa018.jpg

Cassie, can these giant breed get any more pathetically dopey looking? Between 5 mos and 12 months, they go through some outright awful growth periods, retaining all of their puppy clumsiness ..btw, Wowsa has knocked the Christmas tree over twice now, unintentionally. :love:

Notice the window in the back, see the pain that is busted and covered with a plastic sheet? That was compliments of one of our boys. People who think giant breed dogs are going to destroy a house need to have 5 boys live with them. Those boys have done more damage to the house than the dogs could ever dream of..we have replaced no less than five windows (broken from baseballs, golfballs, martial arts moves gone bad)..sheesh, worse the dog has ever done was the typical puppy accident and the occasional remodeling project done by a puppy :) that I accidentally left out of his crate..still, cost way less than those boys of ours do :love:

Edited by Lynai

Awwww gotta love that face :) He is devine Lynai! (and doesn't your son look cute on the High School Musical bean bags :love:)

The window thing reminds me of when my son was playing Bob The Builder at the age of 2 and tapped the window with a hammer and broke it :) Couldn't be mad at him as I was the one that left the hammer in his reach :love:

Are you going to get any Chrissy photos of the dogs???? :o

Can't believe Wowsa is 5 months old already - gee the time flies!

BDL, my sons all rolled their collective eyes when they saw the High School musical bean bag chairs..lol. I found them on sale fo 7.50, it was either High School Musical or Hannah Montanna bean bag chairs..I couldn't find any boy type ones..and when I did find something masculine, it was 30 bucks..so High School musical it was! LOL.

Bob the builder did your window in??? Nahhh, can't be mad at that, two years old doesn't count, they are just to precious and cute at that age, even when they are being naughty :) I think God made them so cute as youngsters so we wouldn't kill them when they kepts us awake as infants, and threw temper tantrums as toddlers. :laugh:

Edited by Lynai

Cassie, can these giant breed get any more pathetically dopey looking? Between 5 mos and 12 months, they go through some outright awful growth periods, retaining all of their puppy clumsiness ..btw, Wowsa has knocked the Christmas tree over twice now, unintentionally. :thumbsup:

Notice the window in the back, see the pain that is busted and covered with a plastic sheet? That was compliments of one of our boys. People who think giant breed dogs are going to destroy a house need to have 5 boys live with them. Those boys have done more damage to the house than the dogs could ever dream of..we have replaced no less than five windows (broken from baseballs, golfballs, martial arts moves gone bad)..sheesh, worse the dog has ever done was the typical puppy accident and the occasional remodeling project done by a puppy :D that I accidentally left out of his crate..still, cost way less than those boys of ours do :D

I agree, my two aren't destructive either! (Not intentionally destructive anyway, you can't count the clearing of the coffee table by excited tails :) )

And no, there are no dopier looking dogs in the world! :)

This will be the first year I have not put ornaments on my Christmas tree..I have lights, just no ornaments, at the rate Wowsa keeps running into the thing, I would lose many, and probably more to him chewing on them..so this year its just lights, he seems to leave those alone well enough.

This will be the first year I have not put ornaments on my Christmas tree..I have lights, just no ornaments, at the rate Wowsa keeps running into the thing, I would lose many, and probably more to him chewing on them..so this year its just lights, he seems to leave those alone well enough.

:thumbsup: mind you those tree ornaments are a perfect size to go down a throat as big as his and lodge itself, so better to be safe.

I remember one year Roc knew he had a presant under the tree for him (yes I know cheesy on my behalf) he waited until we went to bed and in the morning the tree was on the ground in a trampled mess, some presents had a Roc paw mark through them and his present was open. :laugh: He did this when he was 2 years old so he should of known better but curiosity got the better of him I guess. :thumbsup:

LOL, I can see the look Roc gave you in the morning "awww mom, I just couldn't help myself"..lol :thumbsup:

Wowsa did open and shred one present, of all the things he opened, it was a poster for my 9 yr old, so while it was the cheapest present (thankfully) it was also the most easily destroyed..lol!

Wowsa did open and shred one present, of all the things he opened, it was a poster for my 9 yr old, so while it was the cheapest present (thankfully) it was also the most easily destroyed..lol!

:laugh: naughty Wowsa. You can never be angry at a face like that though. They take so much to heart when they have done wrong and they know the "sad" face works a treat!! :noidea::scold:

• 2 weeks later...

Wowsa thinks he is a big boy now, Xia, showing a lot of patience and just a bit of disgust

WowsaXmas002.jpg

Finally Xia has enough and sends Wowsa crashing (literally)

WowsaXmas003.jpg

Wowsa, 21 weeks (48kg) here with his boys

WowsaXmas006.jpg

Trying out his Mastiff Guard Dog duties

WowsaXmas010.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Wowsa is 6 months old!

He weighs in at 52kg

Here is his dopey puppy look

Wowsa090119015-1.jpg

Sitting with one of his favorite people :eek: bit blurry, between my camera and my own lack of skills its a wonder I get anything recognizable :hitself:

Wowsa090119020-1.jpg