White Poo And Other Questions?

Hi - what does it mean when my dog does a white poo? He doesnt do this very often but now and then I see one - looks as normal as a 'good' poo but white.

Also - my 9 month old Border Terrier is on and off his food lately. We got an 8 week old BT pup (bitch) a week ago and I dont really think he's himself since then....but only sometimes. They seem to get on well even though she annoys him most of the time..nipping him and climbing all over him. He is very patient and usually either sits there and takes it, moves away or plays back. BUT - he is sometimes off his food and had bad diahhrea the other day. So I've had him on half and half rice and his normal Pro Plan - his stool is pretty normal but again today he isnt eating.

Do you think this is stress associated with the new pup - even though I am taking special care to give him plenty of attention too. Or a tummy bug - which he had a few weeks ago and perhaps hasnt properly got rid of....or even just the hot weather?? Or knowing him he's holding out for something better to eat and knows what a pushover I am when he puts on a sook.

I hate it when he isnt himself and cant tell whats wrong with him.

Thanks

Jaynie

Firstly...it always pays to have a vet check.

Secondly...if he is off his food, try not to force food into him, unless his condition is awful in which case he should be at the vets. Give him a couple of days rest from ALL food, and only allow him water. (but again..vet..vet...vet...)

My feeling is that he probably hasn't gotten over the stomach bug, with all the new stress in his life this would have put hs immune system under stress also. (Ever noticed how after a stressful week you sometimes end up with a cold? Or ill in some way?) So I would hazard a GUESS (because I am not a vet) and say he hasn't yet kicked his tummy bug.

Hope that helps! :)

I took him to the vet the first time he had a bug and got antibiotics and Lectade....it was the first time he had ever been off his food and that was a big indicator something was wrong because he would probably eat me if I stood still long enough. I've just been reading a thread about health and food and it could probably be one of a hundred reasons I guess.

He isnt off his water and he's otherwise pretty okay if a little slow - but its hot and that might have something to do with it - so I'll keep an eye on him for another day and go to the vet.

If a dog goes on antibiotics is it a good idea to supplement his diet with something - for example if I go on antibiotics I usually take something like acidopholus (sp?) to keep up the good bacteria in my gut?

Yep, balance the ABs with a good cultured yoghurt. It's actually an idea to make yoghurt a common part of their diet, they love it!

There could be many factors affecting him at the moment and a vet should always be your first option, but in the meantime make sure you keep fluids up to him and maybe look at getting him back onto hydrolites if you're concerned. How much bone/chicken mince do you feed him, if any? High calcium content can also produce white poos.

Now that you mention it it is usually after he's had chicken carcass or bones of some sort he has white poo.

I thought yoghurt (eg dairy) was bad for dogs? I eat good quality natural yoghurt so I'll see if he wants some of that.

I give him lamb shanks and he eats almost all of the bone...is that normal?