New To Poodle 'grooming'

First up, I know I could hunt through previous threads and glean what I need to know, :confused: but I was hoping a few poodle owners could give me a precise, as it were, of basic poodle grooming needs.

My newest pooch is not exactly show quality stuff - he's not exactly a poodle, even! :) But I'm assured that he is at least half-poodle and I am just not used to his kind of coat. He is 'poodlely' over most of his wee little bod, and I do want him to look his best as his fur starts to grow back from the clip he got about 2 months ago. How long does it take to grow to maximum fluffyness?

Should I get more than a brush and 'rake' for his daily grooming? Should I be using a dry shampoo on him at all? He is a lovely milk-chocolate colour - does poodle fur fade in the summer? - is there any grooming product to help prevent this?

Edited by YappyLittleDawg

Howdy Yappy,

That is one cute dog! He looks like he may have a brown poodle in his ancestory but I'm not sure where he got those ears! :laugh:

Firstly does he shed? If he doesn't, then he will never achieve "maximum fluffiness" It will just keep growing! :rofl:

The best item for this kind of coat (if it is non-shedding) is a "slicker brush" - go for one of the softer ones. These are also the bomb for removing burrs from coat. A metal comb (recommend half fine/half medium width) is very useful for combing out knots and longer hair.

I wouldn't bother with dry shampoo - it only clogs the coat. If he gets really grubby, you can always rinse off the worst with just plain water or wash the grubby parts. :rofl:

I'd recommend a conditioning shampoo (Exelpet make a pretty good one if you want a supermarket one) or you could go for a brown colour enhancing one. I could bore you for hours with discussing shampoos (one symptom of a poodle tragic) but anything from Biogroom or Plush Puppy is good. Biogroom make one called "Fluffy Puppy" that is mild and adds volume to the coat.

Most poodles are clipped (feet, face, tail and tummy) and washed and blow waved dry. Most people get get their poodles clipped every 6-8 weeks. I do mine myself and its more like every 2-3 weeks (another poodle tragic symptom).:mad

Happy grooming!

Edited by poodlefan

Thank you poodlefan - that's just what I needed. Yes, Teddy Bear sure is a cutey - the PAWS lady I got him from said he looks like his 'makers' ran out of poodle-fixin's when they got to his neck, and just stiched on some left-over bits of terrier for his head!!! :mad

Firstly does he shed?  If he doesn't, then he will never achieve "maximum fluffiness"  It will just keep growing!

He doesn't shed - not that I've noticed - he has this lovely soft fur, and kind of looks like a lamb, but the 'fleece' is not as thick as a lamb's.

I wouldn't bother with dry shampoo - it only clogs the coat.

I sort of suspected as much - thanks for putting me straight.

[shampoos] = or you could go for a brown colour enhancing one.

Well, I would like to try that - I meant it when i said I want him to look his best - he's had a bit of a hard life at times - I want to spoil him!!! (even if he doesn't actually LIKE having a bath!)

Biogroom make one called "Fluffy Puppy" that is mild and adds volume to the coat.

That sounds like the go - well, "Gone to the Dogs Superbarn" here I come :rofl: (Just what I needed - another excuse to shop online.) :laugh::rofl:

Yappy, let me check out the slickers at GTTD and I'll recommend one if you like.

I bought a Zafari? one from GTTD that is the most comfortable one I've found..

Edited to add.. its a Safari..

Here it is at GTTD.

http://www.gonetothedogs.com.au/shop/produ...4&ProcessType=5

Teddy Bear might have some Cairn or Westie in him - that would explain the terrier add ons.. :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

How exactly do you clip a poodle? I take it the Rozzie special the Maltese, Silky and whatever other poor sods are in clipper distance would not do.... I really didn't mean to get the Belgian...

Guess if I really bugger Louis up it's only two weeks between a bad haircut and a good one.

Clipping routines vary Rozzie,

First I catch a dog... the sight of the grooming apron is enough to send two of mine into a hasty retreat. :laugh:

I use a 30# or a 15# blade (depending on the dog) to clip the muzzle, feet, tail (below the pom pom and around the botty) and tummy from the last rib back. I also have a toe blade which is much narrower and I use that to clip between the pads on the underside of the paw.

Then its into the bath tub. Squeeze the anal glands under the running tap (eeuuu). Wash the victim in whatever shampoo is my current whim, then towel dry and onto the grooming table. I use the hose from my dryer to remove the excess water then remove the hose and brush all the hair on the body, head, legs, ears and tail straight under the dryer nozzle. I use the slicker for this. When I had a dog in show coat, all the long hair on the head and jacket was done with a pin brush as that is more gentle.

Then I clip the body - blade varys on time of year and dog (I tend to have different coat lengths on different dogs for different seasons) I start behind the head pom pom which ends at the back of the ears and clip the neck down the length of the body, then I do the chest. I usually shape from the shoulders and hips down onto the legs to get an even look. Then its scissor the legs, and trim the head pom, ears and tail pom...I used both curved and straight scissors for various parts - the curved ones are great for shaping poms.

Then I have a stiff drink, check out the dog and repair any obvious damage I've done! :mad

Edited by poodlefan

Then I have a stiff drink, check out the dog and repair any obvious damage I've done! :laugh:

And we spend the next week commiserating on Teddy's racing stripes.. Lily's mishapen bott.. and well, Darcy doesn't need any help from poodlefan to look a bit silly :mad

Harsh FHR... very harsh. :laugh:

Ted actually has one back leg wider than the other today.. more repairs tonight. :mad

FHR's been having a few lessons, she can clip a muzzle and the body - very handy for Vizslas and Whippets (NOT)

Edited by poodlefan

Yep, yappy I squeeze the boy's anal glands to empty them as they tend to fill up and get very smelly. :laugh: It also prevents spontaneous expression of fluid at inopportune times. My old groomer did this and I've fallen into the habit. Done under running water, its no problem.

Lily the toy poodle, being a lady, doesn't tend to have this issue - she doesn't have to endure this process.

Ah the joys of poodle grooming - you had no idea what you'd started with this thread.

Oh BTW, I do ear plucking and nails about once a week.... :mad

That's right Vehs.. forgot you worked in a salon.

The absolute BIBLE of poodle grooming is a book by Shirlee Kalstone called (not surprisingly) Poodle Clipping and Grooming.

Here's the link on Amazon but last time I checked Dymocks carried it and you can sometimes buy it at stands at Dog Shows. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...1862530-3195941

Much of the book is devoted to show grooming but there are step by step pics on how to do a pet clip (including scissoring) and a really good section of disguising faults with some very unfortunate looking poodles.

Lots of interesting pet clips in this book! Also all the good oil on what tools you need and even advice on starting out in pro grooming.

When I did my first clips I used to groom with the book open and follow the steps and the pictures.. (FHR would argue that I still should be :laugh: )

Edited to add - looks like link failed... here's the info:

Poodle Clipping and Grooming : The International Reference (Howell Reference Books)

by Shirlee Kalstone

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks for that poodle fan I will have a squiz

Unfortunately anyone who keeps their dogs in good nick (like yourself) does all the work at home, all we seem to get is poor, neglected, matted dogs - had one in the other day almost as bad and Jack's JiKan, no injuries however.

It is such a treat to get a nicely looked after dog in, we can spend the time it would take to 'clean them up/getting through the matts' to making this dog look perfect.

We never get 'fancy' clips in, well not when I'm working there, but I am still such a beginner, so maybe that's the reason :laugh: . My fave clip is the Westie - no legs and feet! :laugh:

I follow books too - and show the owner the pics in there so we are both clear on what they want.

Hope you charge extra for dematting and badly tangled dogs Vehs.. nothing like money to encourage people to keep up the grooming.

Its the lack of regular visits that seems to end up with bad matting. My former groomer wouldn't take anyone on who didn't have their dogs clipped AT LEAST every 6 weeks - and her books are full! She wasn't at all shy about giving people a stern talking to about lack of grooming at home either. :laugh:

Squeeze the anal glands under the running tap

You WHAT the WHAT-now??????????????????????????????????

Yep, yappy I squeeze the boy's anal glands to empty them as they tend to fill up and get very smelly. It also prevents spontaneous expression of fluid at inopportune times. My old groomer did this and I've fallen into the habit. Done under running water, its no problem.

OK - I never thought in my wildest (and weirdest) dreams I would EVER be asking a question like this - but (and you know, there just aren't enough Vomit.gif's in the world for this one!!! ) PoodleFan, how does one go about ---- god, I can't say it --- how does one ----squeeze ----the ----(oh GAAAAAAAAAAAAAWD) ---anal glands? :eek::vomit::vomit:

Teddy is getting a very strange and unpleasant kind of smell - though he does look GORGEOUS after a bath with his new Fluffy Puppy Shampoo, Essentials Conditoner and new slicker brush thingy.

Go on - give me a squeeze-by-retch description - I can take it. :drunk: ;) :drunk: :eek: