Please Help! Chases Ppl Aggressively

free

Never let her off lead you are so lucky you have not been reported and the council have rocked up on your door :thumbsup:

It is incredibly negligent of you to let her anywhere near people off lead. SHe is totally in control of her situations and so DO NOT LET HER.

Third time - why did you let it get past the first?

I find your comment Nekbet very offending. On what grounds are you able to make judgements and critisim WITHOUT even knowing the background on which this is based. I feel belittled and challenged. Sounds like your trying to get across that i'm in no condition to keep a dog because i'm dumb and make silly deicsions to let my dog run wild and harass people. i hope you don't treat your clients like that, shouldn't you be giving them constructive critisim like 'instead of holding the treat in this hand, try holding it in the other' instead of, 'god! are you reatarded? hold it in the other hand!'.

i'll tell you excatly what happened those three times.

1) Dog was at my grandparents farm while i was on holidays, she saw someone walking back from over the paddock so she jumped the house yard fence and ran over to this person and stopped 20m away barking. she then realised it was my grandad and so she ran up to greet him.

2) I was in my backyard hanging out washing and my neighbour helped herself in to ask for a lift to her work. The dog ran up to her barking. a bit closer this time then the first time.

3) i was running with her in an off leash park when she noticed a lady walking past so she ran up to her growling and barking.

I'm not a moron Nekbet.

Edited by freerunning

I have a GSD nearly two years old that will (when off lead) run up to someone and stand about 1/2 metre away with her bristles up, head down and barking with a little bit of growling. Each time this happens she's getting closer and closer to the poor random people. I'm worried that one day she may have a go at someone. After she has a couple of barks she will always come back when called with her tail wagging.

I'm not sure how i would go about correcting this behaviour; obviously don’t let her of the lead but what if she gets out of the fence.

I have been at my new rental property for 6 months now and this is when i have really started to notice this problem getting worse. All day she runs up and down the fence chasing people that are walking along the footpath. I'm thinking this is the problem, the people keep walking away so she thinks she has 'fought them off' thus rewarding the behaviour.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated.

From the details given in the OP you admit to being afraid the behaviour may escalate and she may bite someone. You did not give details as to the three times this happened until now, so we only had what you had given us, which sounded like you had been at an offlead park each time.

Excuse me where did I say you were a moron. The third time, after 2 incidences of showing aggressive behavior, you let her off lead in a public space. That to me is negligent so sorry if I'm realistic and dont sugar coat.

People can make a complaint about your dogs behavior, even if it is rushing the fence when they walk past. Again apologies for stating the possible ramifications of her existing behavior. There are 2 categories of dog, a Dangerous Dog and a Menacing Dog which the council can slap on your dog and make life difficult for you AND your wallet.

You dont know how I train so you cannot comment - I develop rapport with my clients and they appreciate the fact I politely tell them the truth and how to fix it considering their experience and physical limitations. I understand not everyone is a dog trainer and on occasion can make mistakes but if you intend to be a trainer I would have thought you knew a little more and understood how serious one needs to treat a dog that rushes people and bails them up when SHE decides to.

again apologies for rubbing you up the wrong way I'm sure you will do what is best for your dog.

Perhaps you need to amend your OP to reflect the amended information.

These aren't just 'random people'. One has been your neighbour in your yard. One was your grandfather. My suggestion is that you carefully catalogue each incident to the best of your recollection so that you can give an accurate picture of what's going on to the behaviourist.

Regardless of what you write here, you need to have someone see the dog in person.

Edited by poodlefan

I wonder if this is a common GSD thing? I met another GSD recently who seemed to do the same thing.

I dont think it is

My boy would not even think about doing anything like that

In fact he goes up to people and sits on their feet for a belly rub

I think it can be more prone in some dogs, but in this instance maybe there was an incident that the OP did not see that started this behaviour.

I agree that getting a trainer or behaviourist is really important.

Good luck