Antihistamine Injection

kayla1

One of my dogs ended up at the vet the other day - she had been outside, then came running in on three legs whimpering, and quickly became very lethargic and gums turned pale. Anyway the vet thought it was a reaction to an insect bite or sting and gave her an antihistamine injection. Seconds later she was itching like crazy, and red blotches suddenly appeared on her stomach and legs. The vet said it was all part of the reaction from the bite or sting and told me to give her prednisolone to calm the itching.

Does this sound right to you, or could the antihistamine have caused a reaction like that?

Sounds right to me.

One of my girls got stung, her head swelled like a baloon so we rang Essendon Emergency, took her in and got a shot.

The next day our normal Vet rang to see how she was and to advise to look out for and itching as it tends to happen with an insect bite.

Agree with everyone else.

I am allergic to a certain type of wasp, and if I am bitten, need an anti histamine ---- fast!! I still do have some reaction to the bite though. If I take an anti histamine in anticipation of a bite, I have no reaction to the antihistamine.