Lethargic Dog

I have a beautiful 10 month old black and tan kelpie named Max.

He is always happy and busy but 2 days ago that changed.

He was healthy but ended up with fleas again.

My husband gave him a bath with some flea control shampoo which helped with the whole flea situation.

But since then (friday night was the bath) Max has not eaten or drunken anything.

He is also very lethargic and generally unhappy.

Not sure whats going on. Thought maybe worms but dont understand the sudden onset.

If it was worms thought it might have happened slowly.

So wondering if it could have been the flea shampoo. He didnt get it in his eyes or mouth though.

Hoping you can help

Edited by lyneilander

He hasnt had vaccinations yet for many reasons but will be getting them in next week anyway.

If he is still a bit flat or otherwise not himself/well .... I'd be guarded about having him have the vaccinations. Even if he has bounced back, make a point of telling your Vet that in the past week he wasn't exactly on top of the world.

I give a dose of Active Manuka Honey if I suspect anything wrong. Can't hurt. Can only help.

Get Max to the Vet ASAP, especially as he is not drinking. It may not be the flea shampoo, but it does seem a coincidence, so I'd take the bottle along as well.

DO NOT let them give the vaccinations at the same time (Yes, I know that this sounds like killing 2 birds with one stone and saving on vet bills). Vaccinations should only be given to HEALTHY animals. Max is not healthy :laugh:

The Manuka Honey is a good idea. Just mix it with a bit of warm water and if necessary syringe it into Max's mouth. For tummy upsets I mix Slippery Elm with the Manuka Honey. Slippery Elm coats and soothes the lining of the stomach and intestines. You can get that at your local Health Food store along with the Manuka Honey. In the meantime any honey that you have on hand with do.

Hope Max is OK :(

It sounds as if he has had a reaction to the flea shampoo. Anything which kills fleas IS toxic - although mostly safe - but some dogs react badly, depending on the chemicals.

It may have been something he ate, a gut obstruction, or a stomach upset. And it just happened to occur when he wa bathed.

He could also have a large worm burden if he has not been regularly wormed, which could be making him ill.

Take him to the vet. It's difficult to diagnose on the 'net :rofl:

Don't have him vaccinated until he is 100% back to normal. Vaccinating an unwell dog can kill at worst, and at best, lay in problems for life.

good luck, let us know how you go?

Thank you for all your help and advice. Max is doing better. He is now drinking. Not much but he is drinking again.

Before max had his bath on friday he had been at the beach with my husband. We think maybe he ate or chewed on some of the

dead blow fish that where lying around. It really seems like he has an upset tummy. He is alot more active now. So we are hoping

that he is getting over it.

As for vaccinations I didnt even think of the fact he has to be healthy. That would have been a wasted trip then. So thank you for that

advice.