Here We Go

GSDhandler

ok, i know that GSD are vocal, and all that. my girl had gotten out of crying and whining at night.

recently she has started again. its as bad as when we brought her home, only now she has more volume. shes 5.5 mths. how do i discourage the crying.

she doesnt need to toilet, or feed, she is just crying. i think its because my OH was reactiong at one point, and she learned it was positive. im at a wits end, and have found myself lobing my books across the room crying "shut up" just because i cant take it.

if i just have to deal wtih it, advice on how to chill me out would be nive :)

you sure she's not still teething and has a sore tooth. None of mine whined for no reason a dog stands to gain very little from constant whining unless its getting attention for it.

Conversely grab a spray bottle add a bit of stinky vinegar to the water and spray when she whines. Dont talk to her or look at her just spray her in the face.

cheers nekhbet. no, she is done teething. i think its just that my OH is useless when it comes to being stern. he has created a monster..... hmmmm, should i spray him with the vinegar too?

and to bigben, i find the birds keep me perfectly awake, leading to no sleep and a grumpy me, especially after a bad night.

cheers nekhbet. no, she is done teething. i think its just that my OH is useless when it comes to being stern. he has created a monster..... hmmmm, should i spray him with the vinegar too

Sometimes people who are easily trained by dogs do better if they're given an alternative to being stern, and a simple book to read on training principles. Something like Karen Pryor's "Don't Shoot the Dog".

Let your OH know when he can give her attention, and reward him for doing it at the appropriate time. Remind him not to when it's not appropriate, and remind him why. I don't envy you tho', OH and I don't agree on everything but we do agree on the basics...