Any Experts Around?

Kirislin

So your 70-300 is probably at it's best at around 200mm and at f/8. My 70-200 f/2.8 is probably at it's best around 130mm and f/4.

Thanks for that, you are spot on...most of my better shots are F8, 200-250. I still think we should swap lenses :)

To get telephoto lenses that perform really well wide open, you've usually got to start spending big biccies.

Bugger! I know it, but it is just not an option. Although we did just get a new home theatre system that we didn't need :) ...so it's only fair that I get something (that I do need) as well :o

Edited by Vickie

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lucky ducky :) if i go over ISO 400 on the D80 the noise is totally unacceptable.

Yep the D300 handles noise SO MUCH better than the D70s...although I guess I overdo it sometimes. I just figure it is often easier to get rid of noise than to sharpen something that is not sharp. And sometimes noise works. Some of the shots I took at the nationals were very noisy, but I like that about them.

Lukey, I found the exif on the original photy. Photobucket doesnt let me get it. I chucked it on my edited post, I thought I was on auto but I was on Manual settings. it was F7.1, 250mm focal, 1/800 shutter 80-400 lensy.

Its not sharp cos I suck at focus :) I LOVE MANUAL though and its great practice.

Thankyou for the sharpning, I dont edit stuff cos I dont have anything to use just yet. Really should get something, I've been using photobucket to play with frames.

Um also lots of my photos arent sharp im thinking cos its on small or medium file size settings :o Must remember to change this...

Edited by rugerfly

but really I just like getting out and taking pictures and not worrying about the rules or fads. The latest

greatest programs are wasted on me simply because they are overkill. :)

I think that is one of the reasons that your photos are so incredibly awesome Cheryl...because they don't conform and they are so pure.

Someone once told me that when you have a good eye for what makes a photo, that doing a course is not a good thing, because you lose some of that ability to see in trying to follow the rules. I think it makes sense, although I can't help thinking that I would not have deleted thousands & thousands :) of photos in experimentation if I had learnt some rules & done a course :o .

Basically I don't want to do ANYTHING that will make me lose the passion.

(I have been known to sleep with my camera, that must be passion LOL)

I think everyone has got to find their own 'place'. For me its not about

ingesting truckloads of information but enjoying the experience 'out there',

mostly alone, sometimes with others.

The most fun I had taking photos was totally alone last month. OH and I were about to start this hike, it started to pour so I ran back to the carpark with my camera pack (it has a wet weather cover but still) and said I'd sit it out while he went ahead and said he'd be an hour. Typical Scottish weather, the clouds cleared and the sun came out, so out I got, with tripod and walked a small way into the hike where I'd turned back to the waterfall and took shots. I stayed there over an hour, didn't know the time. I took shots with my digital and film camera and had enough time to fit a ND filter and polariser to the lens to get the slower shutter speed I was after. I couldn't do that with my OH with me, he was "so over" me and my camera on our holiday.

But I had fun, just me, camera, nature and nobody about me in a vast landscape. That's when I enjoy myself more - if I'm not diving where I can be at one with nature, I like to go out hiking and photograph what I see.

How very hippy of me. Pass the lentils.

OK, I've not long gotten home. I realised once I started shooting that I hadn't explained what I wanted to do. I see Luke realised once I'd headed out. Anyway, I figure out myself I needed to slow the shutter speed down to get what I wanted. The other thing I needed was co ooperative whippets. I tried to get them side on but mostly they just wanted to trot along so I got lots of boring pics. then unexpectedly they went psycho and I wasn't all that well prepared but I did get a few blurry out of focus shots. Not great but more along the lines I was after.

Kibah, would've been better if she was running side on, not coming towards me, Oh well, her front leg chest area is almost in focus. at least there's plenty of movement

IMG_1155t.jpg

They practically tied me in knots, especially Feather, I was standing on a slope and she was doing circuits around me at a flat gallop so it wasn't easy.

IMG_1170tcs.jpg

IMG_1171tcs.jpg

IMG_1174tcs.jpg

IMG_1176tcs.jpg

Edited by Kirislin

As long as you are happy you are heading in the right direction!

Not an easy subject I think - one is trying to concentrate on

settings and light, focus and multiple moving dogs all at the same

time. :thumbsup:

Well, they're not what I had hoped for, I like Ripleys ones better, that's more what I had in mind but it's a start.

I would've loved it if that 3/4 view of Kibah had her head in focus sigh..............

Edited by Kirislin

Glad you're heading in the right direction, sorry, I totally misunderstood what you were after.

I've never tried panning. I'm not a huge fan of it, but now I want to have a go :thumbsup: always up for a new challenge.

thats OK Vickie, actually if there's one thing I am pleased with about today it's that I realised myself, I needed to slow the shutter speed.

I would love to see you take some panning shots. I even posted a link of your pics to a girlfriend who is not on DOL just so she could see your amazing pics. she rang me just to say thanks, she was in awe.

Vickie - I don't think you have much to worry about with your lens - shoot at f/8 as much as you like. You get very unique shots, somehow you manage to get the dogs to stand out without blurring the background a lot. It's very impressive.

Rugerfly - tsk, tsk, you should always shoot at the highest possible resolution :thumbsup:

Krislin - keep at it - panning is not easy! You might have to take hundreds of shoots to get a couple of good ones. Yep, they need to be side on. With the 3/4 shot, it's not possible to get that type of panning shot sharp. With panning, the dog has to be travelling across the frame.

Vickie - I don't think you have much to worry about with your lens - shoot at f/8 as much as you like. You get very unique shots, somehow you manage to get the dogs to stand out without blurring the background a lot. It's very impressive.

Rugerfly - tsk, tsk, you should always shoot at the highest possible resolution :)

Krislin - keep at it - panning is not easy! You might have to take hundreds of shoots to get a couple of good ones. Yep, they need to be side on. With the 3/4 shot, it's not possible to get that type of panning shot sharp. With panning, the dog has to be travelling across the frame.

thanks Luke, I did understand that part. can you please explain it to my whippets :thumbsup: with the 3/4 I just started shooting when I saw her start to move. they are so quick, and you dont know where they'll go, it's like trying to photograph a blow fly!

I would love to see you take some panning shots.

OK, I tried it & I suck at it :thumbsup: I got 1 out of about 50 that was almost OK but badly composed

I even posted a link of your pics to a girlfriend who is not on DOL just so she could see your amazing pics. she rang me just to say thanks, she was in awe.

How cool is that! I'm chuffed. Thank you :)

Rugerfly - tsk, tsk, you should always shoot at the highest possible resolution :)

thanks Luke, I did understand that part. can you please explain it to my whippets :thumbsup: with the 3/4 I just started shooting when I saw her start to move. they are so quick, and you dont know where they'll go, it's like trying to photograph a blow fly!

If I didn't have so much other stuff to train - I'd like to teach my dog to run across my field of view...

hmmm....

Maybe put my dog in a stay....put a treat about 20m away...move into position, release him to get his treat...

dog--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------treat

---------------------------------------camera-------------------------------------------------

Edited by Luke W

Thank you :) (but I still want a better lense :thumbsup: ). I'm frustrated with agility shots b/c I feel like I have reached the capacity of my lense...AND I WANT MORE!

If I didn't have so much other stuff to train - I'd like to teach my dog to run across my field of view...

hmmm....

Maybe put my dog in a stay....put a treat about 20m away...move into position, release him to get his treat...

dog--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------treat

---------------------------------------camera-------------------------------------------------

That's exactly what I tried...except there were 2 dogs...I think it would be much easier with 1 dog, and I used a toy intead of food.

I would love to see you take some panning shots.

OK, I tried it & I suck at it :thumbsup: I got 1 out of about 50 that was almost OK but badly composed

I even posted a link of your pics to a girlfriend who is not on DOL just so she could see your amazing pics. she rang me just to say thanks, she was in awe.

How cool is that! I'm chuffed. Thank you :)

come on post it anyway. what you think is bad I'd probably think is brilliant, even if not you dont have to be perfect everytime. Pleeeeeeese.

You've given me an idea, I'm gonna start a panning thread in photos.