Puppy Eating Flies Sprayed With Fly Spray

vrox

with the hot weather lately, we've been getting a lot of flies in the house. these little buggers have been driving me nuts, so to get rid of them I've been using fly spray. and while I've tried to clean them up as much as I can, it's impossible to find all the nooks and crannies where they've dropped dead! so today I've discovered my little puppy has sent herself on a mission to find as many dead flies as possible, and proceed to eat them :thumbsup: how harmful is this?

Don't panic. Unless you have a very very small puppy, the pup probably weighs 5000+ times more than the fly. So it would take quite a few flies to get to a lethal dose. But I agree with others, prevention is a good idea. Or use a pet safe repellent spray such as the citronella blends used in stables.

Try using a dust buster or a vacuum cleaner with hose attachment to get the flies?

Yep - very rarely do I use spray and if I do it's only because the flies have gotten out of control. Even then, I clean up the flies as they drop. My can of fly spray has lasted me, ummmmm, about 3 years or more, so little do I use.

Dust-buster is what I mainly use as well, although I stuff the end of it with a tissue afterwards as they sometimes manage to crawl back out.

Our flies where I live are really big (blow-fly size) but incredibly slow. So sometimes I just catch them with some paper towelling or a tissue and they are quickly squashed. Gotta be a kinder way of dying - quick, instead of by poison - anyway.

Edited by Erny

I would worry too, but my previous vet once told me to spray over the birds cage, with the bird still in it, so I guess it must be safe.

You'd need to be careful - very careful.

I once had a couple of canaries that suffered from mites. Vet told me to hang one of those "moth" strips (that people use in their wardrobes) near them but for a short period only. I forgot it was there one time and left it overnight (not in the cage, but outside of it).

The next day my canaries were dead. I still feel dreadful for that :cheer:.

I would not consider fly spray "safe" under any circumstance. A little might not do any noticeable harm, but it is toxic and there's no getting around that.

Edited by Erny

Often wondered about this too, more concerned with my cats eating the flies. I decided not to use fly spray as I know I can hardly breathe & gag when its first sprayed so what does it do to them, who are smaller & more sensitive to things. Just fly swat instead.