Ben Gd Bitten By Rat

BigBen

Ben was playing/teasing with the rats... At the same time he's teething and have a few teeth just starting to come out... When I saw blood I thought it was from his teeth... but when I saw blood on his paws I thought he'd cut one...

The blood was pouring from his ear - he has a large rip, and it wouldn't stop bleeding... The floor was covered in blood, so was all the walls in the house... I called everyone I know for assistance, but no one was available... My ex husband came over, and the bleeding stopped, as soon as he parked outside... Good! When he left an hour later, the bleeding started again, but only for a few minutes.

I used up all my first aid kit to try and stop the blood flow... Got at sore back, because Ben would not sit still...

The whole house looked like a crime scene, and Ben is outside eating half a chicken... The other half I'm cooking for myself, even though I don't feel like eating...

Last night I paid for insurance for Ben... but I don't know if that would have helped me today... Anyway, Ben didn't go to the vet, because the bleeding had stopped. Maybe it looked a lot worse than what it was...

Ears, both doggy and human have a very good blood supply, hence the reason you encountered so much blood no doubt.

You should be able to claim on your insurance but it seems the injury didn't warrant a visit to the vet? I'd be keeping an eye on the ear to make sure no infection occurs.

:)

If it starts to bleed again, and ears usually do after a couple of shakes, bandage ear firmly in place by wrapping bandage around head and under chin, wrap around a few times and make sure it is firm but not tight.

That happened years ago to our Boxer Rocky. The silly goose ripped it going under a barbed wire fence at my parents place.

We tried just taping his ear, but he kept flicking the bandage off. In the end we used a sanitary pad to cover the wound (every time he flicked his ear it would tear a little bit more and flick blood of course also), and then use sticky bandage and go around the ear, then around his head. We didn't take him to the Vet straight away as he didn't even notice it pain wise (was still his usual bouncy happy self), so waited until the next day to get stitched up, and you wouldn't even be able to tell these days unless we told you and you inspected it.

-WithEverythingIAm

Thanks for your replies... I tried many times to wrap a bandage around his head and ear yesterday, but it wouldn't stay on...

I'll be taking Ben to the vet today, as he's due for his monthly heartworm tablet... As soon as he shakes he head, it start bleeding again, so I'll have the vet to have a look at him - with or without insurance...

So... Ben went to the vet... The wound is closed at the moment, and the vet didn't think it was worth it to do anything about it - he spent quite a bit of time examining the ear - ... I agreed with him...

So.... what does this stupid woman do, when she comes home?

Starts playing with water, which causes a lot of head shaking, and of course, it start bleeding again... :laugh: - Maybe I'll grow up soon... I'm only 59 :thumbsup::laugh:

The vet didn't charge me for the consultation... Nice.. :thumbsup: