Desexing Dog From Pound: Free With 3 Week Delay Vs Use Own Vet & P

If you were to adopt a female dog from the pound, would you have the pound desex the dog for free (adding a 3 week delay, to when the dog could be collected, due to the desexing program not running at the moment).

OR

Would you arrange to desex the dog at your own local vet immediately after adopting, so you could collect the dog as soon as its available and avoid the delay. With this option, the registration fees at the pound would increase by $110 and you would also have to pay for the desexing.

Edited by fainty_girl

Option 2 would be preferable but will end up costing somewhere in the vicinity of around $300 more to do it that way. I was lucky when I adopted my girl Luna (in my sig) from the pound, they agreed to release her to me for nothing - all I had to do was sign a stat dec saying that I would desex her at my own cost. It was under special circumstances though.

If you go with Option 1, can the pound guarantee you that you'll get the dog in three weeks time? ie they are not going to PTS if they get full in the meantime, or rehome her elsewhere?

I still have to wait for the pound to accept my offer, because the dog is not available for adoption for another couple of days. The pound's desexing program is not running until Nov 24th, so the person at the pound said that she could be collected 5 days after that date. The person did not mention anything about the dog being rehomed or PTS if this option was chosen. She did warn us that it is a possibility that the dog could get sick though. :thumbsup:

If we are able to adopt the dog, I don't think I could stand to leave her in the pound for that long. I'd be worried about her getting sick and I don't want to put her under anymore stress.

If you were to adopt a female dog from the pound, would you have the pound desex the dog for free (adding a 3 week delay, to when the dog could be collected, due to the desexing program not running at the moment).

OR

Would you arrange to desex the dog at your own local vet immediately after adopting, so you could collect the dog as soon as its available and avoid the delay. With this option, the registration fees at the pound would increase by $110 and you would also have to pay for the desexing.

They're going to allow the dog to be adopted out without desexing? If this is the case, why won't they agree to you bringing her back for desexing in three weeks after you collect her (assuming you do)? That way they'd know she's been desexed as well.

There is no compulsory desexing for impounded/adopted animals in NSW..

Blacktown council has an agreement with Camden University to desex adopted animals for free. The animal is not released prior to the desexing and once it leaves the pound with the owner, it is no longer owned by council (therefore not eligible for the free desexing programme).

The dog (as stated) hasn't finished its impound time and will need to wait another week and a bit before it can taken to the Uni for desexing.. then it must stay at the pound for 5 days (approx) so that it can be supervised and stitches removed prior to the actual adoption taking place (from the end of the impound time to the day the dog is picked up, it belongs to Blacktown Council.. not the person planning on adopting it)..

This means that if anything happens to the dog during the surgery etc or afterwards, the 'soon-to-be' owner can't sue or anything.. no money changes hands until the day the dog is being released to its new owner.

If the dog is going to catch any disease.. it will already have it by now....

Edited by Cordelia

I didn't know Blacktown had an agreement with Syd Uni - but that news has made me happy! The spey clinic down there is great - my friend has just done a stint there (on her final year rotations) and she really enjoyed it.

If you are sure that you want the dog, this is what I would suggest.

Get the dog as soon as you can and pay the full rego fee. Keep the receipt. Take the dog to your own vet for desexing. Go into the council office with your receipt and the desexing certificate, and ask them to refund the difference as the dog is now desexed.

Thanks for the info Cordelia :thumbsup: .

We have pretty much decided as a family that if our tender is accepted by the pound, then we will arrange to have the dog desexed at our local vet. If she is ours then we don't want to leave her there for that amount of time.

On a side note, the tender system at the pound has me in so much suspense! I'll be devastated if we don't get her!

Get the dog as soon as you can and pay the full rego fee. Keep the receipt. Take the dog to your own vet for desexing. Go into the council office with your receipt and the desexing certificate, and ask them to refund the difference as the dog is now desexed.

Can that be done in NSW?

Can that be done in NSW?

Going by the info that has been given in this thread, yes you can.

What you would be asking the council for (after the dog is desexed) is a refund of the difference between the full rego fee and and the desexed rego fee. I have no idea if they will give it to you. It may depend on who you get at the counter, and how you come across. You wouldn't want to leave it too long before you ask for it either, before November 24th if possible.

You don't have to do this if it makes you uncomfortable, but I would do it.

On a registration form that I found online it says:

"What to do if circumstances change

If circumstances change, you need to notify any local council to

update your animal’s record within a certain period of time. You

may need to take a copy of your Certificate or a copy of this form

to the council.

Some examples of changed circumstances are:

change of any other of the animal’s details eg. is desexed -

within 14 days"

I suppose if I am able to adopt this dog and get her desexed, then I will need to update her details with the council. Maybe I could try asking then if they would possibly refund the difference.

I'm not actually paying for the dog myself...I am getting her for my birthday, but don't worry, she's not a surprise present or anything horrible like that. I've been wanting a 2nd dog for years now, and myself and my family all fell in love with her when we met her. So she will just be a bit more expensive than first planned :thumbsup: .

Edited by fainty_girl

I suppose if I am able to adopt this dog and get her desexed, then I will need to update her details with the council. Maybe I could try asking then if they would possibly refund the difference.

Yes, go for it.

As a responsible dog owner that desexes her dog and updates her council details, who has just saved the council 3 weeks worth of boarding fees by taking the dog early, you deserve your refund. :thumbsup: