Toilet Training New Puppy

susief

I had no idea when we got our first puppy but by the time we had our second I had a clue. When she looked like she needed to toilet I called her name and said 'Shall we go out?' We then walked outside and I waited for her to toilet. When she was in the process I said she was a good girl and once complete she was rewarded with a small treat. It pretty much did the trick. We had occasional accidents of course but in all a success! We used schmacko's as treats, just cut them up into small pieces and keep them close to the toilet area or take them with you.

I would recommend crate training as it really seems to speed up the process of house training.

Also, you will need to learn to recognise the 'signs' (eg nose to the ground) and quickly take him/her outside. When he/she does a wee, immediately give a food reward. They soon catch on that they only get the reward when they do wees outside.

What sort of puppy are you getting?

We are getting a new puppy this Saturday and I was wondering if anyone had constructive ideas for starting toilet training. Please only comment if you have positive ideas. :confused:

just completed toilet training successfully and still have to 'toilet time' a bit.

Used Ian Dunbar method includes no scolding for misses and much praise for hits (google it) taking him out for a toilet session every 30mins and building up the time in between. Its really 'toilet timing' until they reach an age where they actually have physiological control (same as humans) which could be as late as 16-20 weeks. I even got up thru nite as soon as I felt him move signalling he was awake and set alarm to wake me as well and had no accident during the nite. (he slept in a basket beside me) He gradually went longer each nite as his bladder capacity grew with him. Now he can hold overnite and wee on command - if he needs to go.

Number twos I rushed ouside after every meal gave lots praise when he did it outside too.

Good luck :rofl:

I cannot recommend crate training highly enough.

Our puppy went in from the first night and was very comfortable with it and never made a sound. For the first few weeks you have to get up in the night to take him/her out, but they learn so quickly. It is important you restrict the space available in the crate (we used cardboard boxes) and cover ot with an old sheet or blanket as it makes them feel more secure. It is also good to have somewhere to put them when you want them safely away when you can't give them your full attention.

It can also depend on the breed - what are you getting?

Take your puppy out often and always straight after sleeping, playing and eating. Good luck and enjoy.

Also after drinking, & every hour in between. Never scold, only give heaps of praise & a treat or 2 when done the job. Some puppies are quicker than others, my son's mixed breed dog was fully trained at 10 weeks but Tilba my now 10 m/o pup still has the odd accident if I don't hear her want to go out bark.

Can't go wrong with good old Dunbar's methods! I swear by them (not just for house training) eventhough he is a bit extreme and can scara the s... out of you when he says: don't let one mistake happen, or it will be a huge stepback...

Mistakes do happen and most of us can't be with our pups 24/7!

but yes, crate training, ignore accidents, lots of praise for doing in the right spot, and watch your pup as much as you can! and don't forget to enjoy it when it's still a baby, they grow up soooo fast...