Just A Query

tanya

my mother has just adopted a little pup who has had his first needles but is still to young to have his second lot. mum has not got alot of patience (she wanted to kill it this morning), so i have thought about taking him on till his is properly house trained and a little obedience trained. She hasnt any patience either.

my delema is that i have 3 dogs here, all have had there needles but my girl is possibly pregnant. I do ont want her to catch anything off the little pup and visa versa.

can anyone let me know if it would be alright or not???

thankyou

did your mother not research before she got this pup?

sounds like she should give it back to the breeder ... was it from a breeder or a shelter

no she did not. and my mother is a spare of the moment type of person, and nothing i could say would talk her out of it..

i am more than happy to take him on and train him. mum just hasnt got the patience or the know how,(she has also a very bad back) but she is very lonely and she likes the company. it also lets me off the hook for having to go there avery bloody five minutes...

she just wants me to house train him and obedience train him( just to walk on a lead and sit). it wont take me that long, and i think that she would be alot happier...

Sounds like she would be better suited to an older, calmer, already sort of trained dog.

Probably a bit late now but is it an option to return the dog to the breeder/rescue and look at an older rescue dog for her (if she absolutely must have a dog)?

Just because you train it doesn't mean it will be trained for her. If she doesn't continually reinforce the training then the dog is going to work out that while it needs to behave for you, the rules dont apply with your mother.

If the pup is healthy and has not been exposed to public places yet, and your bitch is healthy and up to date with her vaccinations, there should be no problem. :laugh:

Good on you for helping your Mum out. Baby puppies are pretty hard work.

Edited by Toohey

If the pup is unreturnable make her at least do SOME of the work. She is going to have to keep up the training anyway throughout the dogs life. You can make habits but she can break them in an instant and then either 1) blame you for not training the dog or 2) get rid of it because its just 'one of those bad dogs'

your mother is an adult she has to take responsibilities for her own actions.

If the pup is healthy and has not been exposed to public places yet, and your bitch is healthy and up to date with her vaccinations, there should be no problem. :laugh:

Good on you for helping your Mum out. Baby puppies are pretty hard work.

thankyou. that was the answer i was hoping for...

As regards my mother, she will be able to keep up with the training to a certain extent. I will only teach the pup the basics and then i will teach her. Mainly to heel, sit, stay. as long as he heels properly and sits then mum should be right. As i said before, she had a major accident on her back years ago, and well it is nearly stuffed. But she needs to go for short walks a couple times a day otherwise she will seize up. The pup is a chihuahua/pomeranium, so it will be able to go the right speed for mum withought to much hassle. as long i can train him to heel properly then they should be home and hosed.

I am actually glad she got him,except for her not having any patience, he will do her the world of good..

thankyou Toohey yes they are but they are worth it in the end when they give you unconditional love and companionship and thats what my mother needs.

thankyou Toohey yes they are but they are worth it in the end when they give you unconditional love and companionship and thats what my mother needs.

No worries :rofl: By the way, I have an eleven week old cocker here who is hell to try and toilet train. Would you like to take him and train him up for me too :laugh:

No worries :cheer: By the way, I have an eleven week old cocker here who is hell to try and toilet train. Would you like to take him and train him up for me too :laugh:

hehe why not. the more the merrier. its easy to train puppies by i cant train my OH.... :rofl:

No worries :o By the way, I have an eleven week old cocker here who is hell to try and toilet train. Would you like to take him and train him up for me too :laugh:

hehe why not. the more the merrier. its easy to train puppies by i cant train my OH.... ;)

Why, does your OH wee in the house too??? :) :cool:

My sister had a few couples over the other day for a birthday...do you think any of the guys could aim straight? The loo floor was a mess. :laugh:

Sorry, OT