Chicken Treats From China Beware

Lizzy06

Guest Angel88

Me and my parents have just been through this heartache with our Maltese X Shih Tzu Squeak.

Shes just over 4 years old, and a loving happy bright full of energy dog, then one day 2 weeks ago she started to sleep alot, which isnt unusual in hotter weather in adelaide, but she started to get wobbly on her legs, till she fell off of the couch and couldnt stand up, so I panicked and rushed her to a very good vet near me.

After 4-5 days in hospital and $2300+ later, they found out that Chicken Breast Treats from china have caused her kidneys to go into renal failure. She almost died in the vet and told us on the first day of her being there to "prepare yourself for squeak to not come home" but after almost a week there she was "ok" enough to come home, but still VERY wobbly and not herself at all.

we all feared the worst and tried our hardest to make squeak happy and adapted to her new diet and trying to keep her off of foods that wont hurt her kidneys..

then we got a phone call from the University of NSW veterinary science or something close to that, asking if its ok for them to use squeaks blood tests and results for their study because alot of other people have had this same problem and other people have tried suing this company in particular and got their vet bills paid for..

So we are giving Squeak half a tablet of Potassium three times daily, and shes back to her old self.

They've told us no dogs have "died" from these treats, but alot have been close and will need treatment for quite a while.

we Honestly thought these were australian treats we bought, but we were deadly wrong, we will VERY carefully read the labels on the treats next time!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we Honestly thought these were australian treats we bought, but we were deadly wrong, we will VERY carefully read the labels on the treats next time!!

I bought a container of chicken jerky and have been giving them to my dog. Some brand I never heard of. Just looked at it now because of this thread. 'Wanpy' Oven Roasted Chicken Jerky. Made in China. Don't know if it's the one with the problems. Don't care. In the bin it goes.

I've had enough. I'm checking every label from now on. Made in China = in the bin. Any and all food from China either stays on the shop shelf or goes in the bin without opening if someone else buys it.

It never occurred to me that chicken jerky wasn't Australian. It never even entered my mind that chicken would be from China. Seriously, why the f*** is Australia importing chicken from China?? We don't have poultry farms here??

Political rant: They say it doesn't matter which politician people vote for, but all these issues can be traced to George Bush and his administration's 100% disdain for regulation and govt oversight in nearly every category in the name of fast and quick profit for big business (look at the finance industry over there right now). A lot of the world, including us, relies on the US Food and Drug Administration with their much bigger budget to do most of the monitoring of food health and safety. This reliance has all gone out the window in the last eight years of Bush's people undermining it in every way - the US FDA simply can no longer be relied on. Maybe it'll all be fixed under Obama, but that'll take time. Until they do, all food from China should remain uneaten.

Edited by anthony mazzeri

I tend to give our dog, cheese, cabanossi or cooked chicken as treats, but did have a bag of chicken strip things in the fridge that I bought from a pet shop. They were long thin red and white, and about as

thick as a shoe lace. Looked on back of packet,,,, made in china... In the bin it goes. It's just easier making my own treats and freezing them in little zip lock bags. Less worry, and anything that doesn't

get used in daily training gets stuffed into a kong tomorrow.

It's a real worry that these products are still on the market though, and I will be spreading the word to pet owners.

Edited by vjb

There is another brand called Dukes Chicken Breast which is made in China

http://www.qcity.com.au/index.php?c=51&p=271

I bought a container of chicken jerky and have been giving them to my dog. Some brand I never heard of. Just looked at it now because of this thread. 'Wanpy' Oven Roasted Chicken Jerky. Made in China. Don't know if it's the one with the problems. Don't care. In the bin it goes.

I'm still confused as to whether those products pose a threat. Both are just dried chicken breast and when you look at the ingredients all it says is chicken breast. So would there still be harmful additives in them :rofl: They also say 100% natural too.

There is another brand called Dukes Chicken Breast which is made in China

http://www.qcity.com.au/index.php?c=51&p=271

I'm still confused as to whether those products pose a threat. Both are just dried chicken breast and when you look at the ingredients all it says is chicken breast. So would there still be harmful additives in them :rolleyes: They also say 100% natural too.

Luvabull, I am with you on this as I have been feeding my 5 poodles for up to 2 years on the Wanpy Chicken Breast as the Wanpy Company has been audited by our very own AQUIS and the "Dry chicken Jerky" is certified by HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) which is a systematic preventive approach to food safety.

My 2 cents worth :laugh:

Edited by PoodleAntics

Luvabull, I am with you on this as I have been feeding my 5 poodles for up to 2 years on the Wanpy Chicken Breast as the Wanpy Company has been audited by our very own AQUIS and the "Dry chicken Jerky" is certified by HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) which is a systematic preventive approach to food safety.

My 2 cents worth :rolleyes:

You mean our very own AQIS who gamma irradiated otherwise perfectly good high quality pet food and rendered it toxic and lethal to cats before allowing it for sale the Australian market? Sure, they know what they're doing. I trust 'em.

Those HACCP certificates on the site you link are from 2005. The melamine in the Chinese chicken's feed supply is this year. As recently as four weeks ago actually (Oct 28) when eggs in Hong Kong were found to be contaminated with melamine. The chickens absorb it and pass it on. If Chinese chicken eggs for human consumption four weeks ago have it, I'm assuming Chinese chicken meat for pet consumption will even more likely to be contaminated right now. All of it. Until it's all tested and cleared.

It was well-known name brand pet foods like Hill's amongst others in the USA who supposedly use only the 'best' ingredients who were caught out using tainted gluten from China in their foods. If a pharmaceutal chemical company as huge as Colgate-Palmolive (makers of Hill's) doesn't have a system in place to pick up a chemical contamination before it goes into the production line and sold, then why would any other company? The first they knew about it was when dogs started dying.

I'm still confused as to whether those products pose a threat. Both are just dried chicken breast and when you look at the ingredients all it says is chicken breast. So would there still be harmful additives in them :rolleyes: They also say 100% natural too.

To answer your question directly, the melamine is in the chicken's feed supply. And so then into the chicken itself. And passed on in their eggs. And their meat.

The brand I'm staying away from is KraMar Supa Naturals.

I don't know why you're saying this?! I've been feeding my dog this brand for years without any complications or ill fx.

I've also talked to my Vet about this and he's not flagged up any issues with it either. I do know tho that it's meant to be given only as a treat, esp in the case of smaller dogs/breeds. Hope this helps?!

I've been feeding that brand for a couple of years now with no ill effects for my boy.

Just to be on the safe side, I'm going to stop feeding any treats that come from China...all Aussie from now on! Just means I'll be doing more shopping online as Tas doesn't seem to stock a lot of natural treats...

:laugh: i just noticed this thread and gave myself a stress attack going through our cupboard of treats (yes cupboard :rolleyes: i think my shopaholic tendancies apply to dog food too :rofl: )

i've chucked out all non-australian products because of the whole radiation thing as well as worries about chinese products...what is safe anymore?

i'm thinking maybe it's worth just making my own treats from now on - how do you dry liver treats for dogs?

I'm still confused as to whether those products pose a threat. Both are just dried chicken breast and when you look at the ingredients all it says is chicken breast. So would there still be harmful additives in them :( They also say 100% natural too.

To answer your question directly, the melamine is in the chicken's feed supply. And so then into the chicken itself. And passed on in their eggs. And their meat.

Ah, now I get it. Thanks :)

Guest Angel88
The brand I'm staying away from is KraMar Supa Naturals.

I now don't need to mention the brand.... Thankyou

Great i been feeding my dogs these's treats...

That is the only brand of Chicken Treats we gave squeak that caused her to go into renal failure.

It didnt effect our other dog, but we're getting her a full check up just incase! but she has a stomach of steel so she will eat anything thats on the ground.. haha, but its better to be safe than sorry.

We dont buy other chicken treats because squeak loves them, and have had to learn the hard way about what poorly made or imported food can do to your dog.