Jaeger "kingland Xtra Cavalier Jd Gd Et"

Schatzi'sMum

From the time when I was about 10 years old I wanted a GSD, I waited and waited for about 12 years until the time was right and my living circumstances would allow for that special dog to finally come into my life.

I remember the day that I first saw Jaeger at his breeders house. The choice was narrowed down to two boys, Jae and his brother who were so alike in every way. I was having so much trouble choosing between the two, I was sitting there with Cash on my lap and was thinking he was going to be the one, then I said "where's the other boy". I looked down and sitting beside my leg staring into my eyes, was Jae. I knew then and there he was saying "pick me, I'm the one meant for you". That beautiful bundle of fluff came home with me that day, became my best buddy and fulfilled a lifelong dream.

Jae had a reasonably successful trialing career, he loved agility and earned a couple of titles. He was a real crowd pleaser when he ran because everyone would get such a laugh at him chatting away in joy to be running with me, even funnier though were the lectures he gave me when I made mistakes. There were several times mid course where he stopped and looked at me and said "Mrwah, wah wah!!!" frustrated because I was such a useless handler :eek:

At the time I couldn't quite figure out why he would always tip bars and struggled to move like most dogs would.

Jae was a big dog, we spent many years fighting negative attitudes to GSDs. He was so good in showing people who were scared of shepherds that they are really gentle beings, he was also great at helping small dogs who were afraid of big dogs. He didnt have a mean bone in his body and just wanted to meet and talk to every creature he met. In our family he was nicknamed "The Nanny", every new puppy that came to family and friends were raised by him and influenced by his gentle nature.

Earlier this year I took him to the vet, I could tell something was wrong, the vet didnt fully believe me but took a whole bunch of x-rays at my request. We found that Jae had Hip Dysplasia, his elbows were seriously degenerated and his spine was calcifying from discospondylosis :laugh: at that point I knew poor Jae wasnt destined to have a long life and that I would one day face a very hard decision.

I didnt know how long his body would hold out, we tried natural therapies and conventional medication. These kept him going for a while, but in the last week things started to go rapidly downhill, his pain started getting worse and nothing would ease it. The time had come for him to be set free from his pain.

We spent the last few days celebrating his life and all the things he loved like Chicken McNuggets and toys. This morning I held his beautiful big head in my hands and he kept his eyes on mine as he went to sleep for the last time, the same eyes that I saw in an 8 week old bundle of fluff asking to become a part of my life.

Jae you will be missed everyday, it is unfair that I only got to have six years with you, but I wouldnt trade them for anything in the world. The six years of joy you gave me far outweigh the pain I feel today at losing you. Your wonderful influence will live on in the lives and spirits of all those young pups that you helped raise. You taught me many valuable lessons big guy and I'm a better person for having shared my life with you.

Run free at the bridge big bear, run with your legs strong and free from pain. Jump higher than ever before and reunite with those who have come before you. The bridge will be a louder place today as you "Mrah wah wah" in the ears of all your new friends while your voice echos to those of us you have left behind. Keep a special spot up there for me buddy and save your Frisbee somewhere special, we will play together again some day.

Farewell my big man, I will love you forever and you will never be forgotten.

"This world was never meant for one as beautiful as you"

DSCF3554_edited.jpg

Guest PixieOfWrath

I am so sorry to hear about the passing of Jaeger. You're absolutely right, he really was beautiful, and he had such soulful eyes.

Rest in peace, Jaeger. Look after your Mum.

Jaeger was special.

As I posted in another thread Jaeger really did change people's perceptions of GSD's.

As a puppy my Jack Russell spent many happy hours in the mouth of this gentle giant as they played so vigorously, yet so gently- and believe me, Tip was a full on puppy, and deserved to be disciplined many, many times- Jae never did! What I didn't know until just now was Jaeger was under two years old himself then- he was so controlled thet I believed he was much older than that!

There is one thing I know above all else though, and that Jae was ready to go. I know this because I know Schatzi's Mum and no-one I know can "read" dogs better than she can, and when it comes to her own dogs.... it is uncanny, she is so connected to them.

Jae lived life to the fullest, he was not happy having to watch Schatzi and Kato doing things he could no longer do. Now he is pain free and more supple than he ever was, and I know he is shoving his frizbee in the face of anyone he can find while waiting for his mum to join him.

Farewell Jaeger, you will be missed by many.

This has been a very hard decision to arrive at Rach & today was your finest hour, with Jae loving you right up until the very end, helping you to stay strong in his gentle & compassionate way. I wish I could be there today, if only to put an arm around your shoulders. The pain will diminish over time, but the love you have for Jae will always be as bright as those beautiful eyes of his. Much love.

Thank you all so much. He was a really special man. Jae had a big love of music, he was a Sinatra fan (shows how cool he was :eek: ) and used to sing along to "New York, New York". But there is one song that I used to sing him that's running through my head - with the different lyrics I used to sing:

"I can see the sunset in your eyes,

Brown and grey and blue besides...

Oooh Jaegy I loved your way, every day..."

Here are some favourite photos :laugh:

The goofy beginning :)

JaegerPup1.jpg

JaegerPup2.jpg

"Ugh what is that smell??"

DSCF1425.jpg

Doing what he loved most...

DSCF1677.jpg

"reckon I can take this dumbell into the obedience ring?"

JayDumbell.jpg

Jae and Kato - mates together

JayKato.jpg

Sharing a joke with the family

DSCF3303.jpg

:thumbsup: Shatzi"sMum, to you and your family, I am so sorry for your loss. :love:

Jae sounds like a wonderful dog, who gave you so much, and you gave him the best life, and a very dignified passing.

He will be listening to the good music, playing frisbie and waiting for you.

RIP Jaeger :eek:

DSCF3554_edited.jpg

An Ode to Jae

To a man, so big, gentle and beautiful,

You are one to set the record straight,

That even though you only think of me as a German Shepherd

You will find him to be friendly and great.

He would show you that Shepherds are not all bad

That it is perception, not reality, not real

Just come a spend some time

You will leave with a joyous squeal

The bears time has come

Time to be free of pain

My mum is setting me free

I am not that vain

Mum, this is the great gift

To go to the bridge

So I can run free, to frolic, to enjoy

what a privilege

I will play and wait

Till that time when I see

You approaching with love

To come and cuddle me

Until that time

When we meet again at the end

I will always remember your gift

My loving friend

:cry:

Our heartfelt love and prayers for you SM, our family shares your grief and ;). Any time you need to talk we will be there. :p :laugh: ;) ;)