Entries Close Monday 16th February 2009

Entries to the Herding Secretary,

Mr Ross Carlson, 1007 Frankston-Flinders Road, Somerville, VIC 3912

For enquiries:-

Phone: 03 - 5977 6226

Email: [email protected]

Cheques made payable to “Border Collie Club of Victoria”

Sheep & Ducks

Entries will be limited dependant on number of stock available.

Preference will be given based on date entries received.

SATURDAY 28th February 2009

Judge 1 – Mrs. M. Stapleton – B course ducks, A course sheep, A course ducks

Judge 2 – Mrs. K. Dourley – A course ducks, B course ducks, A course sheep

Trial Entry Fees:

$25.00 first run, per dog, includes catalogue and all sundries

Subsequent entry per dog, per run $20.00

SUNDAY 1st March 2009

Judge 1 – Mrs. A. Richardson – Pre-Trial, Herding Test, Instinct Test

Judge 2 – Mr. B. Richardson – Instinct Test, Pre-Trial, Herding Test

Test Entry Fees:

PRE- TRIAL: $15.00 – per entry per dog, includes catalogue and all sundries

HERDING TEST, INSTINCT TEST: $10.00 – per entry per dog, includes all sundries

One entry form per dog, per run including all titles

Please state on entry Judge 1 or Judge 2 & date

If confirmation of entry is required, please attach email address or self addressed envelope

Check In Time:

8.15am – 8.45am

Judging Starts:

Approximately 9.15am after Handlers briefing of all levels

Handlers briefing will begin at 9.00am and conclude no later than 9.15am for all levels

The committee reserves the right to substitute Judges, suspend trialling or change venue at any given time.

Notice will be given to all entrants

Awards: Trophy & Sash for class Winners

Ribbon to Second & Third placing’s

High in Trial – each stock type

Reserve in Trial – each stock type

Highest Scoring Border Collie Member

They are trialing levels. You start by doing an instinct test (this is a certificate not a title). You don't have to do this level but most people do. Then you move on to herding test. Once you gain two passes you get your HT title then onto pre trial where to need two passes to get your PT title. You need each of your passes by a differant judge to gain your title and most people can get the title in one day (that is why there is two judges for all three levels)

Hope that all makes some sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rachelle

Do you have any idea if you have to be registered with anybody to do a herding instinct test? I have a 2 year old kelpie cross that will round up the horses and the cows at home but I've never done any obedience classes with her or anything with a dog club. I can call her off the stock & she sits, stays etc. Just thinking about doing the herding and wondering where should I start? ie. just wondering if I can enter for this day & do the instinct test or if I need to be a member of the herding association first? I will give the secretary a call.

Cheers

Edited by KelpieBess

Just a quick correction to this:

They are trialing levels. You start by doing an instinct test (this is a certificate not a title). You don't have to do this level but most people do.

All dogs must go through Instinct Certificate. They only need 1 pass. Insticnt Certificate involves the dog demonstrating basic control of a wait on a long line and recall to the handler and then showing an interest in moving the stock. Usually only takes a couple of minutes maximum per dog. 10 minutes is allowed though, which gives time for a slow to turn on dog to warm up and show interest. When I have judged though I don't think I have ever had to go over 5 mintures per dog. They are there to show instinct, not do a training session.

The Herding Test level is then optional or you can move up to Pre-Trial. 2 passes at Pre-trial and you can go through to the trial classes.

Hi Rachelle

Do you have any idea if you have to be registered with anybody to do a herding instinct test? I have a 2 year old kelpie cross that will round up the horses and the cows at home but I've never done any obedience classes with her or anything with a dog club. I can call her off the stock & she sits, stays etc. Just thinking about doing the herding and wondering where should I start? ie. just wondering if I can enter for this day & do the instinct test or if I need to be a member of the herding association first? I will give the secretary a call.

Cheers

You will need to be a member of Dogs Victoria to participate in ANKC herding tests and trials. If you are just interested in having a go then maybe try and find out where there is training near you ,and then if you get hooked you can join Dogs Vic and compete. Joining Dogs Vic just to do an Instinct Cert would be expensive IMO, unless you are also going to be trialling in obedience, agility etc.

Hi Rachelle

Cheers

You will need to be a member of Dogs Victoria to participate in ANKC herding tests and trials. If you are just interested in having a go then maybe try and find out where there is training near you ,and then if you get hooked you can join Dogs Vic and compete. Joining Dogs Vic just to do an Instinct Cert would be expensive IMO, unless you are also going to be trialling in obedience, agility etc.

Thanks Piper, I live about 10 minutes from KCC park so hopefully will be able to find some training I found some threads on here which mention Southern Dog Club I think in Keysborough/Bangholme so will try them.

• 1 month later...

It may be a silly question but is there any training necessary for the instinct test. I can practice recalls but for the part of interest in moving stock do you just put your dog in the situation where this is possible and see how they react. I should go along and watch as my pup is only 5 months.

They changed the rules at the start of last year. Your dog is meant to have been with stock before they do the test. But please come and have a look. Their will be people there that can give you some more information and you can also see what you need to do.

The test is not hard but best to know what you are up to first i think.

• 4 weeks later...