Dilute Urine

hilaryo

I had to take my 5 year old beagle Bobbie to the vet as he had a eye infection. While I was there I mentioned that I would bring him back in for a check up and blood test to check all was well. He did a quick urine test and it came back as abnormal :) Sugar, protein, etc was fine but he said it was abnormally dilute. He said to bring him back after a few days to check the eye and he would start testing for the problem.

Of course I googled what dilute urine might mean and it seems to me that it is probably a kidney problem....

I might be jumping the gun but I am terrified.

Does anyone know of other things it might mean?

We have a dog that we took to the vet as he always did alot of wee that was clear not like normal wee at all.

After testing it the vet said he was drinking too much water and to take the water bowl away at certain times of the day.

It did the trick ansd the wee went back to normal.

We discovered that this dog was just having too much fun with the water bowl, playing with the water and drinking too much just for the hell of it.

He was fine and is still fine years later in his old age.

I wouldn't worry if I were you.

About a year ago my elderly pug started drinking a lot. The vet said his urine was dangerously diluted.

I googled this as well and started worrying, he had a lot of tests but in the end it turned out to be an infection and antibiotics fixed it in a few days.

I had to measure what he drank and I still do sometimes if I think he is drinking too much.

If you have more than one dog, measuring may be difficult.

I hope Bobbie will be ok. :(