Legg-perthes Disease

Leema

I know someone who recently bought a puppy, it went lame at 9 months, Xray showed Legge Pethes Disease in 1 hip.....Another Vet at a different practice looked at X-ray & saw an old fracture there.........In his opinion the deterioration of the joint was from the injury sustained at 3 months of age (big dog bowled her over).........and that the head started to die......Now the problem is that you can not prove the theory, so they returned the puppy, as they were not prepared to breed with it in case it is a hereditary form........

In small dogs it is usual to have it surgically removed. Some say Polygenic, others say it is recessive.

Website

Hi,

Legg Perthes Disease

By Michael Bell

What is Legg Perthes disease?

Legg Perthes disease is a non-inflammatory, non-infective death of the cells of the femoral

head (hip joint) that occurs in young dogs before the growth plate of the femoral head

closes.

How and why does it occur?

The disease results in the collapse of the femoral neck due to the interruption of blood

flow. The reason for this loss of blood flow is unknown for sure but it has been suggested

that hormonal influence, hereditary factors and anatomic conformation or lack of blood flow

to the femoral head may be responsible. The blood supply to the femoral head is derived

solely from vessels that course along the surface of the femoral neck, cross the growth

plate and then penetrate the bone to supply nutrients to the femoral head. Inflammation of

the joint capsule or sustained abnormal limb position may increase the pressure inside the

joint enough to collapse the fragile veins and inhibit blood flow. An autosomal recessive gene

has also been suggested as a genetic cause for the disease.

Once the femoral head cells die the body tries to revasculaorje the area, but unfortunately

during this period the bone substance is weakened to the extent that normal weight bearing

forces can cause collapse and fragmentation of the femoral head. When this occurs there is

an abnormal fit of the femoral head and the hip socket which results in the occurrence of

degenerative joint disease (i.e. arthritis). This osteoarthritis and fragmentation of the

femoral head/neck in turn cause pain and hence lameness.

How can this disease be diagnosed?

The disease is diagnosed in young, small breed dogs between the ages of three to 13 months

with the peak incidence being between six – seven months. Affected dogs usually present

with a slow onset of weight bearing lameness that worsens over a six – eight week period

and may even progress to non-weight bearing lameness. In some cases where there is a

sudden collapse of the femoral head the dog will present with an acute onset of lameness.

When the hip is flexed and extended there is normally a reduced range of movement, a

crunchy feeling, muscle withering and pain. At this stage Legg Perthes disease is suspected.

It can be confirmed by x-raying the hip area. Radiographs show a deformed femoral head,

shortening of the femoral neck and areas of reduced bone density within the femoral head.

How are cases of Legg Perthes disease treated?

Because in most cases the disease is not painful during the early stages of the disease the

diagnosis is often made after the femoral head has collapsed and fragmented and

degenerative joint disease is present. At this stage conservative treatment with antiinflammatories

and non-weight bearing exercise such as swimming is usually unsuccessful

and in most cases surgery is required to relive the lameness.

In rare cases where the diagnosis is made before the femoral head has collapsed treatment

consisting of limited weight bearing on the affected leg to prevent collapse of the femoral

head may be successful.

How do dogs go after surgery?

The chance of normal limb use after removal of the femoral head and neck is good because

the small size of the affected dogs. However often there is slight intermittent lameness in

damp weather or after heavy exercise.

I know someone who recently bought a puppy, it went lame at 9 months, Xray showed Legge Pethes Disease in 1 hip.....Another Vet at a different practice looked at X-ray & saw an old fracture there.........In his opinion the deterioration of the joint was from the injury sustained at 3 months of age (big dog bowled her over).........and that the head started to die......Now the problem is that you can not prove the theory, so they returned the puppy, as they were not prepared to breed with it in case it is a hereditary form........

In small dogs it is usual to have it surgically removed. Some say Polygenic, others say it is recessive.

Website

This happened to my chihuahua Arnie. One vet said ''it's just what little dogs do" re holding leg up, another vet suggested LP but felt the patellas were fine. Xray showed old fracture at the femoral head and subsequent necrosis of the bone and stemmed blood flow to the rest of the leg.

They don't make hip replacement parts small enough for chihuahuas so the femoral head was removed (which I have sitting in a jar).

It is suspected the fracture happened just before he came home to live with us or very shortly after. He's not a show dog and had no potential for breeding but my research suggests it can be both hereditry or environmental.

I personally wouldn't breed from a dog with this problem.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

My West Highland Terrier was diagnosed with this, and under went her operation yesterday. She is at home today, relaxing and being pampered. :thumbsup:

All the best.