Couldn't Get Gerda Desexed - They Found A Tick!

Gerda the Schnauzer

Hiya,

Just need to tell someone (anyone) who loves dogs... my poor Gerda went in to get desexed this morning, and they rang and said they couldn't do it because they found a paralysis tick on her leg :cool: . She had only just been knocked out (they stopped instantly) and let her recover. It had been there for a day maybe and they said it was really well hidden, which is why we didn't find it obviously. I picked her up this afternoon, and am watching her like a hawk. Luckily we give her tick protection every two weeks - BUT she just skipped over the weight range of the one she had, so I'm not convniced she was as covered as she could have been.... She got her dose on time tonight, of the bigger weight range, so hopefully that will help. She seems a little wobbly/tired, but is calming down for the night now.

Anyway, now I am also worried about her going in to season. Her 6 month birthday is the 16th of Dec, and she can't be operated on for 14 days, assuming all goes ok. So I've booked her in for the 2nd of Jan... but when do they get their first season??!?! She is a standard schnauzer. Is the first sign bleeding? yikes.

Thanks for listening, all emotional and 'other' people think she is 'just a dog' :laugh: .

GTS

Even with tick products such as advantix and tick collars you still need to check your dog daily. My boy had a tick collar on and the tick was on the side of his face. We check our boy twice a day and still watch him like a hawk for any signs of illness.

Hope your girl is doing well.

Thanks Gretel, Tilly,

Yes, we were warned that advantix wasn't a cure-all, but I'll take any help I can living here! We check her, but obviously not well enough at all, I always concentrated more on her head and neck... and she hadn't shown any signs at all, even the vet commented on that. Oh well, live and learn - just so long as she lives.

Signs of her coming in season - they generally get sookier than normal and sometimes the vulva will start to swell a little. Sometimes the bleeding is the first sign. Easisest way to check is to wipe once a day with a white tissue. I would not stress about it though. A bitch can come in season anytime from as early as 5mths to as late as 18mths for thier first time, and size/breed has little to do with it. Hope she is still showing no sign of paralysis.

Guest belgian.blue

Real glad I don't live in tick areas! Hope she makes a speedy recovery.

want to vent a little .. my ex has a lap dog which gets no attention, just fed. Last night he came to me saying that a grass seed has gone into her skin. he pulled it out and now she has a hole in her side. I told him how to clean it but wasn't going to help him nor look at it.

Just shows he pays her no attention that she had a grass seed stuck in her. Really pisses me off hey. If she gets sick I'll tell him to take her to the vet but she's 14, very aged and full of lumps (cancer?). I really think she needs to put to sleep soon. She isn't loved.

I rub Ivy every night and check her coat as much as possible for grass seeds. I'm the good owner in the house!

Thanks for listening, all emotional and 'other' people think she is 'just a dog' :vomit: .

Naturally you are "all emotional". You love your girl and you are very worried for her. I don't think you'll find too many people here who think along the "just a dog" lines :) .

Chin up. :laugh: . Keep us informed as to how she goes.

Belgian.blue, is there any way you can get the dog away from your ex to somewhere where she'll be given love and attention? What breed is she?

Guest belgian.blue
Thanks for listening, all emotional and 'other' people think she is 'just a dog' :vomit: .

Naturally you are "all emotional". You love your girl and you are very worried for her. I don't think you'll find too many people here who think along the "just a dog" lines :) .

Chin up. :laugh: . Keep us informed as to how she goes.

Belgian.blue, is there any way you can get the dog away from your ex to somewhere where she'll be given love and attention? What breed is she?

shitzu? nah I really don't think so hey. He's very protective of her and he thinks he's doing good. I truthfully think it's too late for her sadly.

I've told him before to walk her etc and show more affection but he just won't listen. Even told him that what he's feeding her isn't the best but waste of time.

She even poops/wees everywhere in the house, which then causes Ivy to think it's ok for her to do it aswell. Though Ivy won't do it in anyone elses house.

Edit - I know for certian that he won't be owning another dog so thats brilliant news!!

Edited by belgian.blue

Hi there,

Gerda is doing very well, no signs of any problems so far, so I guess she is out of the woods (the tick infested woods!). But I still won't walk her for the time they said. More time for training in the garden!

I've brought the operation forward to the 29th, hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks for the advice on 'season' signs :laugh:

Belgian Blue - how awful for the poor dog, and for you to watch. Maybe you could care for her a bit behind his back?

Guest belgian.blue
Belgian Blue - how awful for the poor dog, and for you to watch. Maybe you could care for her a bit behind his back?

Sorry to go off topic a little :laugh: but yeah I will now she has an open wound.

I'm keeping an eye on Ivys girly bits. Shes now 5 months old and yet to be done. But her breeder said the Belgians are late bloomers so hopefully I will have her done before its 'time'.