Considering Going Raw

Luke W

Why such a sensationalist cover?

400_CDN201_1_med.jpg

Really does put me off and this type of spin make me doubt the whole movement.

Maybe because he feels so very strongly about the issues he has seen as a vet since we started to feed our dogs processed foods.

Why do you need to bulk out their food - just so they feel full?

my lot could eat until they pop and new year means NEW EXERCISE REGIME!!! so we're all going for a bit of weight loss. I find that giving them rice and veges (which they actually wait for, you should see them crowd around when its cooking) keeps them full and prevents any constipation from the carcasses. Plus its a great way to get rid of 'fridge deaths' hehehe and i have a heap of silverbeet growing in the garden so that goes in there too. They seem to love it!

Maybe because he feels so very strongly about the issues he has seen as a vet since we started to feed our dogs processed foods.

maybe he should be hitting the vet schools and associations instead of the owners who then go on to be berated by their vet who has the blinkers on view of 'only dry food is good for your dog'. Well why change anything since between crap dry food causing medical problems and 'prescription diets' fixing them, plus a few kick backs, the vets are raking it in. Change needs to come from the inside - out.

Edited by Nekhbet

Why do you need to bulk out their food - just so they feel full?

my lot could eat until they pop and new year means NEW EXERCISE REGIME!!! so we're all going for a bit of weight loss. I find that giving them rice and veges (which they actually wait for, you should see them crowd around when its cooking) keeps them full and prevents any constipation from the carcasses. Plus its a great way to get rid of 'fridge deaths' hehehe and i have a heap of silverbeet growing in the garden so that goes in there too. They seem to love it!

maybe he should be hitting the vet schools and associations instead of the owners who then go on to be berated by their vet who has the blinkers on view of 'only dry food is good for your dog'. Well why change anything since between crap dry food causing medical problems and 'prescription diets' fixing them, plus a few kick backs, the vets are raking it in. Change needs to come from the inside - out.

Do a bit of research on the man.

I have. He's obsessed with dental disease ... yes I agree with him most animals have disgusting teeth.

but you catch more flies with honey then vinegar. Running into conspiracy theories and writing things such as 'the lack of dietary information for the animal must mean it was not on a natural diet' makes no friends. That is not factual information, that is not an educated paper that will convince other vets at all.

Take care that pets do not fight over their food.

Protect children by ensuring that they do not disturb feeding pets.

I dont like this at all.

Sorry Luke, but I would allow several weeks (or a long obsession which is likely to follow - allow months /years) of research on raw feeding if I were you. When I first changed my dogs over about 4 or 5 yrs ago, I was dumb founded with what I kept reading.

Just feed him on a blanket or towel (easy to wash) he will stay put for you. If he does wander I am sure you will sort that out quick smart, either that, feed him in a crate or bathroom, smaller space to clean up.

Older pups from 1st litter (6-7 mo) eating lamb off cuts (and maybe a pork trotter) inside on a blanket, easy to wash.

Maddy-Abbyeatingbones008.jpg

(please ignore the stuffed toy remnants)

Good luck, I am sure you will do the right thing by your boy. Oh - I just love that photo in your siggy. every time I see it - it makes me smile. Love it..

Luke, I feed my dog VAN, chicken frames, wings, mince, canned makeral (ok so that's not raw), offal and natural yoghurt and raw eggs occasionally.

The VAN website has a lot of info on raw feeding Vets All Natural

Just make sure that you supervise whenever he's eating bones. I also don't feed necks anymore because I've heard of too many instances of dogs choking.

Edited by Baby Dragon