Anti-barking Collars

I rescued a dog earlier this year, who was barking constantly... I bought an anti-bark collar, and all that happened, was that he learned to count! He also knew, when he didn't have it on.. The collar worked, but not in a way that taught him not to bark, only not to bark, when he had it on...

The style of collar as well as the way they are initially introduced to the dog BEFORE use can and often does make a big difference to both of these things.

I believe that unless the owners are versed and well know their dogs with a good understanding and knowledge of dog behaviour/psychology, people should consult with a trainer/behaviourist before engaging the use of an electronic (RT or anti-bark) or for that matter, spray collar.

In the case of barking, one needs to be certain about why their dog is barking as it is the combination of training for rehabilitation as well as use of the collar that does the trick. Collar by itself can lead to all sorts of problems.

ETA: BB .... the last of my post here is not directed at you and re-reading it, I felt pertinent to mention that I am not insinuating that use of the anti-bark was in any way related to your rescue dog's aggression.

Edited by Erny

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rescued a dog earlier this year, who was barking constantly... I bought an anti-bark collar, and all that happened, was that he learned to count! He also knew, when he didn't have it on.. The collar worked, but not in a way that taught him not to bark, only not to bark, when he had it on...

The style of collar as well as the way they are initially introduced to the dog BEFORE use can and often does make a big difference to both of these things.

Would one that gives a warning beep be more likely to cause this?

No - difficulties come from some of the models that ramp up as the dog continues to bark. And then take time to re-set once the dog stops. Dogs are pretty cluey, as you know :rofl:.

No - difficulties come from some of the models that ramp up as the dog continues to bark. And then take time to re-set once the dog stops. Dogs are pretty cluey, as you know :rofl:.

Ahh, yeah, that'd make more sense.

So....

If you don't have behaviouralists in your area how do you work out the right way to use a bark collar?

Obviously I have a working relationship with Cosmolo and I can use their knowledge of me, the dog, my environment etc but if I didn't know them how would I work it out?

I'm tagging Grover's barking as play barking but I suppose it is as much attention barking because he does it when he wants a dog who is ignoring him to come and play with him. If they actually play with him he stops barking so maybe I've described it incorrectly. :rofl: He doesn't bark at visitors, he doesn't bark at people walking past our back fence (our rear yard backs onto an off-leash area), he doesn't bark at neighbours - just at his "friends" when they're not playing with him.

He also has just started barking when his dinner is on its way - I'm going to tell Steve to not feed him until he shuts up - how long is a reasonable time to wait for him to be quiet? His barking isn't a constant bark either - its really an attention thing, I can almost hear him asking "hello, where is my dinner?" or "Oi - I'm bored over here, come and play" and its repeated as a quick "woof, woof" every 60 seconds or so until I bring him inside (I give a verbal correction at every bark and bring him inside if he does it 2-3 times).

I've kept a record today of all barking at my house and I've marked 12 instances of barking - each of those was one to three individual barks (ie "woof" :eek: as opposed to "woof, woof, woof, woof, woof") so it would have been less than 4 minutes total since 6.15am. I'm sure from my reading on DOL that is well within acceptable limits. I'm also keeping a record of when my neighbour's dogs bark as they often bark and will bark for a minute or so at a time.

ETA - that is total barking at my house by all 7 dogs.

Edited by Trisven13

And doesn't increase intensity itself? I think I like the same ones you like.

Yep that's right. It does not increase in intensity automatically. It shouldn't need to, if the setting you select is right for the dog.

I'm looking at getting a couple of anti-barking collars. I don't actually need one, yet, but I still want one.

Why spend your $$$ on something you might not ever need? Still .... your choice and your right to do with your $$$ what you wish :eek:, but I'd rather spend my money on stuff that won't need to just sit idle collecting dust somewhere (with any luck :rofl:).

So....

If you don't have behaviouralists in your area how do you work out the right way to use a bark collar?

Travel, I guess, Trisven. It's the only solution I can think of at the moment by way of response to your query and it is something I have done myself in the past for a variety of reasons. But as you say - Cosmolo knows your dog and yourself and I presume your relationship with your dog so she should be able to use that assessment to be able to guide you sufficiently.

No but I have spoken with two other neighbours who advised that the barking is not an issue at all. They both have stated that they don't mind the dogs being kept in the front yard.

I will still try to address Grover's barking as it annoys me (though I am quite sensitive to barking being annoying) and then we should be able to put him in the backyard.

Slightly off topic...

Has anyone used the bark counting collars that are beginning to appear in literature?

I would like to try one if I could. I don't have major barking problems but seqld is not very dog tolerant. I would like to be able to count the barks once a month to check how they go when I'm not there.

When I'm home, I can control their barking easily.

No but I have spoken with two other neighbours who advised that the barking is not an issue at all. They both have stated that they don't mind the dogs being kept in the front yard.

I will still try to address Grover's barking as it annoys me (though I am quite sensitive to barking being annoying) and then we should be able to put him in the backyard.

Sounds like you are doing the best thing possible. I am sensitive to barking being annoying too, does my head in for some reason (luckily I don't have a barker :thumbsup: but next door but one has howling and barking beagles :thumbsup: ), particularly if it is constant. But sounds like you are nipping Grover in the bud pretty well, hope it works out for you.

Still curious about the legality of e-collars in NSW, don't know why as I haven't a need for one, guess I just like answers!

And doesn't increase intensity itself? I think I like the same ones you like.

Yep that's right. It does not increase in intensity automatically. It shouldn't need to, if the setting you select is right for the dog.

I'm looking at getting a couple of anti-barking collars. I don't actually need one, yet, but I still want one.

Why spend your $$$ on something you might not ever need? Still .... your choice and your right to do with your $$$ what you wish :laugh:, but I'd rather spend my money on stuff that won't need to just sit idle collecting dust somewhere (with any luck :noidea:).

Yeah, but they'd be fun to play with :scold:

I've probably used my e-collar more on myself than my dogs.

But what about when your dog only barks when outside and you're inside? Stops barking when you open the door! Certainly not close enough to mark and treat. Not having a go at you Anita, just frustrated with my dog's barking! Although I think most of hers is overstimulation as she was good for a week and then 5 days of windy weather and she got worse!

Jigsaw, I use a remote training collar (ecollar) to correct my dogs if they are barking too much. Not a common event with GSPs but they occassionally have a barkfest over butterflies that won't land on the ground so they can catch them :thumbsup: .

With the remote trainer you can control which type of barking you stop. Bella is a fantastic guard dog and my closest neighbours would mutiny if I stopped her barking at intruders. At their request, I let bella bark at their burglars as well as both neighbours have been burgled in the past.

BP

But what about when your dog only barks when outside and you're inside? Stops barking when you open the door! Certainly not close enough to mark and treat. Not having a go at you Anita, just frustrated with my dog's barking! Although I think most of hers is overstimulation as she was good for a week and then 5 days of windy weather and she got worse!

Yeah, that's why I wrote "something to explore/play with" rather than "the answer to your prayers!". Unsupervised unwanted barking can hard to fix even with special collars. Apparently there are remote mark and treat devices too, but I've never used one and couldn't comment on them.

I think you've worked it out yourself anyway. I know one of our puppies plays beautifully when coming from a calm start, but is a pain in the neck when she is greeting the other dogs after a day in the kennels because she's so excited she doesn't think straight. So I don't let her interact with the others until she calms down. Can't recall who it was who taught me to assess arousal and stimulation levels when trouble shooting but it's been a useful insight for me.