Pup Pulls Like A Sled Dog!

FB Rescue_Adoption

Hi There,

I have an 18mth old English Staff who is an absolute darling, doesn't pull, very patient, listens and obeys (most of the time). I recently bought a new staffy puppy - a male who is gung ho, full of confidence and very headstrong. Till now, I've been walking Stella on her own because he's been too young. Now that he is 5 months, we've started going for 10 minute slow walks along the nature strip in a quiet street. The problem I have is that he pulls like a sled dog from the moment I snap on the leash to the moment we return. I've tried changing directions each time to try to make him watch me more, tried standing still and taking two steps then treats when he is looking at me and not pulling, tried not advancing at all unless he is calm and not pulling and other things but still nothing seems to be helping.

Now when I have both of them, they are so excited Stella is wanting to surge ahead along with him and pull on the lead too :)

Does anyone have any suggestions they could offer that might help me with this issue?

I've always had trouble teaching to heel but recently met a trainer who was a huge help and I've now got my 7 month old Stafford heeling beautifully.

I didn't take her for any on leash walks until we had it absolutely down pat at home as that was only allowing her to think it was ok to pull.

I didn't use a leash at all but had plenty of cooked chicken. And every time she came close to my left leg I quickly said Good Girl and gave her a treat. I did this three times a day for only about 5 minutes until she got it and stuck to my left leg like glue. The whole time we were walking and she was trotting beside me to keep up and get some more food.

I think the trick was doing it at home in my garage/courtyard where there were absolutely no distractions.

It's been the best way I've ever been taught. To give away with all leads/collars etc until we had it down pat off leash at home.

I was determined to keep her in a flat collar so I'm chuffed we've got it :)

I'd really try the training only at home before you go anywhere.

Thanks Guys... I'm using a normal flat collar and I've stopped walking them together now as they tend to influence eachother and I don't want Stella to change her good heeling habits on his account.

I will try practicing heeling with him in the backyard, with some chicken - which he will love because he is such a foodie - and hopefully that might work.

I'm in the process of choosing a dog school at the moment to start him with in the new year, any idea's anyone?

I live in the Belgrave area and there is one in Knox I've heard that is supposed to be pretty good..

If your aim is to walk both dogs together eventually- make sure that the school you choose will allow you to at some point handle both dogs together. It may be worthwhile to invest in a private session to get you started then progress to dog school when you are ready to work with distractions.

Haven't been to knox so not sure what they're like :(

Hi,

We go to Knox Obedience and found they are very good. There are a variety of trainers there who have helped us out. They start back in February on 1st Sunday.

Might see you there.

Thanks so much! I have decided to enrol Max so if you see a red and white pied stafford puppy, that will be Max and I! Hope to see you there! :laugh:

Thanks! I've been onto this lady from ProK9 lately and will have her come out to help out to make sure we start off on the right foot or paw! I should say! :mad

thanks again for your advice! :o

Judi is great... she helped us with our german shepherd when she pulled me down the street.....