Severe Allergic Reaction

Gretel

A dog I am looking after at the moment had a severe allergic reaction to a bee sting whilst out walking with her owner. Apparently she collapsed and it was touch and go even though she was raced to the vet very quickly. It got me thinking is there such a thing as an epi pen for animals? I do so hope she stays away from bees while she's here but it's a worry!

Isn't an Epipen just adrenalin - to keep the heart going in case of anaphylaxis until the ambulance can come and give antihistimine injections?

Wouldn't it be better to just get the antihistimine injection straight off instead?

Never did understand that :D

Hi Gretel,

I had a golden that went into anaphylactic shock when set got stung by a bee. First time we nearly lost her (even with getting to the emergency vet within 20 minutes of the sting). You can get Epi pens for dogs, but i know my vet was against it as it is quite dangerous if you accidentally give it intravenously. Every year in Spring i would get an anti-histamine and a cortisone injection from my vet to have on hand at home. I would keep her inside if bees were around - very scary experience!

Edited by goldielover

I can go into anaphylaxis and the thing that I do (have never had to resort to using the adrenaline that I carry) is to pop a Polaramine tablet - that stops the rpocess alsmost instantly. Works for Tango too - he's incredibly allergic to Euro wasps and will react just to touching one...Polaramine tablet works very quickly - I don't gop anywhere without them for either of us and it's kept both of us out of trouble so far....

I can go into anaphylaxis and the thing that I do (have never had to resort to using the adrenaline that I carry) is to pop a Polaramine tablet - that stops the rpocess alsmost instantly. Works for Tango too - he's incredibly allergic to Euro wasps and will react just to touching one...Polaramine tablet works very quickly - I don't gop anywhere without them for either of us and it's kept both of us out of trouble so far....

Thanks TD. I have antihistamines here and I had planned to give her one if anything happened. I will send her home with your advice. I'm sure if her owner knew about Polaramine she would have brought them with her. She is a very caring owner :(